Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

building a shed onto a wall

• 18-06-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi,
    looking for advice or a place to start for an idea we're hoping to bring to life in the back garden. we currently have a small shed out the back but its barely standing and we would prefer not to take up too much of the grass with a bigger shed down the back. so what we are considering is building a small but long shed along the side wall outside the back door. we wall in question is part of the neighbours but we don't want to do anything much which would involve major drilling.

from the wall to the door is about 18 inches in depth so we were thinking of making it 6/7 feet high and out to the edge and go 8/9 feet down the wall. we would need to come down a bit in height where the neighbours house ends and the garden wall starts as we wouldn't want it jutting over the wall.

i've attached some pictures of the area in question. i'm in the south cork area if anyone know of a place that could custom make a shed like this (or even if you think this could be a diy job?!).

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

You can not build a shed off a boundary wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

didn't know that. what about if we just went to where the wall starts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Any link to relevant legislation/regulations? I've seen plenty of people do this..

any tips on where to start homer?? build it out of brick or wood??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bungaro79 wrote: »
    hi,
    looking for advice or a place to start for an idea we're hoping to bring to life in the back garden. we currently have a small shed out the back but its barely standing and we would prefer not to take up too much of the grass with a bigger shed down the back. so what we are considering is building a small but long shed along the side wall outside the back door. we wall in question is part of the neighbours but we don't want to do anything much which would involve major drilling.

from the wall to the door is about 18 inches in depth so we were thinking of making it 6/7 feet high and out to the edge and go 8/9 feet down the wall. we would need to come down a bit in height where the neighbours house ends and the garden wall starts as we wouldn't want it jutting over the wall.

i've attached some pictures of the area in question. i'm in the south cork area if anyone know of a place that could custom make a shed like this (or even if you think this could be a diy job?!).

thanks!

A standard building block is 4 inches thick.

A cavity block is 9 inches thick.

I therefore hope you and all your family are very very very slim indeed then....:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Id say abolish that idea , the main idea of a shed is to store stuff that you can access when you need to. You wont fit anything in there. Can you imagine
    trying to get something from the back of that long narrow space???? Only thing it may be used for is storing firewood because you can keep plucking from the front of the pile!!!! Best of luck whatever you do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Why not it is what is called a party wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

paddy147 wrote: »
    A standard building block is 4 inches thick.

A Breeze block is 9 inches thick.

I therefore hope you and all your family are very very very slim indeed then....:pac::D
    breeze blocks come in 4 inch aswell paddy.

breeze blocks come in 4 inch aswell paddy.

Appoligies..I was refering to these ones.....(cavity blocks or H-Blocks).....when I said 9 inches thick.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

With that 18" depth you're basically looking at fitting a cabinet/locker, not a shed. Why don't you just fix the existing shed, it seems to be a better alternative.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    With that 18" depth you're basically looking at fitting a cabinet/locker, not a shed. Why don't you just fix the existing shed, it seems to be a better alternative.

Or buy a plastic keter shed.:)

Appoligies..I was refering to these ones.....(cavity blocks or H-Blocks).....when I said 9 inches thick.:)

they are not 9 inch either..close to 9 inch,but not nine inch:P

they are not 9 inch either..close to 9 inch,but not nine inch:P

I know I know ...215mm to be exact.

Builders Providers and brickies/blocklayers classify them as 9 inch cavity blocks.;)

http://www.goodwins.ie/p-196-9-inch-hollow-blocks-5n.aspx

http://www.smithsbuildingsupplies.com/SpecialOffers

http://www.hanlonconcrete.ie/Concrete-Blocks.html

I know I know ...215mm to be exact.

Builders Providers and brickies/blocklayers classify them as 9 inch cavity blocks.;)

http://www.goodwins.ie/p-196-9-inch-hollow-blocks-5n.aspx

http://www.smithsbuildingsupplies.com/SpecialOffers

http://www.hanlonconcrete.ie/Concrete-Blocks.html

still doesnt make them nine inch paddy.

admit your wrong paddy..go on..go on..go on.

still doesnt make them nine inch paddy.

admit your wrong paddy..go on..go on..go on.

How many builders do you know that say...........

Right sir,you can have it built with 4 inch solids or 215mm cavities.

Its 4 inch solids or 9 inch cavities in the real world with builders providers,brickies/blocklayers and builders.

How many builders do you know that say...........

Right sir,you can have it built with 4 inch solids or 215mm cavities.

Its 4 inch solids or 9 inch cavities in the real world with builders providers and brickies/blocklayers and buiders.

it still doesnt make them nine inch blocks..no matter if a brickie says it or barrack obama says it..

btw im a brickie:P:D

it still doesnt make them nine inch blocks..no matter if a brickie says it or barrack obama says it..

btw im a brickie:P:D

Well do you live and work in the real world when ordering blocks from builders providers and talking to clients??

Ive worked on sites here and in the UK with many builders and blocklayers/brickies and all call it/refer to it as a 9 inch cavity.

Any builders providers Ive been in and ordered from also call it/refer to it as a 9 inch cavity block.

Barrack Obama probably thinks a cavity block is something to do with a dentist though....:pac::D

Well do you live and work in the real world when ordering blocks from builders providers and talking to clients??

Ive worked on sites here and in the UK with many builders and blocklayers/brickies and all call it/refer to it as a 9 inch cavity.

Any builders providers Ive been in and ordered from also call it/refer to it as a 9 inch cavity block.

Barrack Obama probably thinks a cavity block is something to do with a dentist though....:pac::D

yep i refer to them as nine inch cavity blocks..everyone does.

but they still aint 9 inch blocks but.

thread derailed by pure nonense:o

yep i refer to them as nine inch cavity blocks..everyone does.

but they still aint 9 inch blocks but.

thread derailed by pure nonense:o

Nite Albert.

Sweet Dreams and Happy Blocklaying.

Nite Albert.

Sweet Dreams and Happy Blocklaying.
    nite paddy.

:D

• Advertisement

well i'll stay away from the blocks so :D

suppose a garden storage area instead of a shed might be the proper term for what i'm looking to do. a plastic keter shed would be fine if they were able to make it for the dimensions i was looking for. i know that the depth would limit me but i was hoping that the width of it (assuming there were a number of openings) would mean this wouldn't be an issue

Advertisement