Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty CD drive.

Options
  • 24-09-2007 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello folks, need some help here....

I have a laptop I bought about 6 months ago. It's an inexpensive PC world job, Advent I believe is the make.

I am having trouble with the CD/DVD drive. When I insert a disc, I can hear the drive "clicking" a couple of times, but it does'nt read the disc or even start to spin at any type of high speed. When I open the drive on the desktop, it says there is no disc in the drive.

Any ideas? Is the drive knackered (as I am already assuming!)?

Would cleaning the lense help?

Would it cost a lot to fix/replace, and would it even be worth it?

Thanks.

Brendan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I'd say the drives knackered alright, you could try finding a firmware update for the particular make/model of dvd drive but short of that righting it theres not much you can do really, bar bring it back to PC World under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you bought it 6 months ago, surely it is still under warranty? If so, back to the shop with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 drongo123

Thanks folks,

I'm reluctant to go back to PC world as I did'nt purchase the 3 year cover which they were trying to ram down my throat.

Am I still entitled to go back under my statutory consumer rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

drongo123 wrote:
    Am I still entitled to go back under my statutory consumer rights?

No, but surely it comes with a 1 year warranty?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There is a 1 year warrenty on it so bring it back to PC World and they will sort you out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement