Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on which computer to buy

Options
  • 19-09-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice when it comes to purchasing a laptop from Dell.

First and foremost, I'm looking for something that is cheap - the absolute tops would be €750 all in, but preferably this would be somewhat less.

This will be for my mum who would predominantly be using it for basic office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.) and browsing the internet. So nothing fancy is required.

I've narrowed it down to two potentials:

Inspiron 6400 for 548 ex Vat and delivery -

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=N4X64002&l=en&oc=N09642&rbc=N09642&s=bsd

Components
    Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    Hardware Support 2 Year Next Business Day
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
    120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr)
    No Floppy Drive

or

Vostro 1500 for 668 ex Vat and delivery

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=N4X15001&l=en&oc=N0915001&rbc=N0915001&s=bsd

Components
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5470 Processor (1.6GHz,800MHz,2MB L2 cache)
    2 Year Business Hardware Support - Next Business Day
    Matte Jet Black without Camera
    1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
    128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)

In neither case is MS Office included, but I was thinking that Open Office might suffice. If anyone has any advice or other potentials I would be very grateful.

Thanks

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I'm looking for some advice when it comes to purchasing a laptop from Dell.

First and foremost, I'm looking for something that is cheap - the absolute tops would be €750 all in, but preferably this would be somewhat less.

This will be for my mum who would predominantly be using it for basic office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.) and browsing the internet. So nothing fancy is required.

I've narrowed it down to two potentials:

Inspiron 6400 for 548 ex Vat and delivery -

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=N4X64002&l=en&oc=N09642&rbc=N09642&s=bsd

Components
    Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)
    Hardware Support 2 Year Next Business Day
    1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
    Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr)
    No Floppy Drive

or

Vostro 1500 for 668 ex Vat and delivery

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=N4X15001&l=en&oc=N0915001&rbc=N0915001&s=bsd

Components
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5470 Processor (1.6GHz,800MHz,2MB L2 cache)
    2 Year Business Hardware Support - Next Business Day
    Matte Jet Black without Camera
    1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
    128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)

In neither case is MS Office included, but I was thinking that Open Office might suffice. If anyone has any advice or other potentials I would be very grateful.

Thanks

:)
    Alright Fanny,
    I'm not an expert on laptops but Dell don't have a good reputation for laptaps.
    Cheers
    Tim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Alright Fanny,
    I'm not an expert on laptops but Dell don't have a good reputation for laptaps.
    Cheers
    Tim.

Alright Tim.

I am not an expert on laptops, oh wait, I am.

Dell might not have a good reputation for laptaps, but they do have a very good reputation for laptops.

Cheers.

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Lol, moving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭crianp

I would have to disagree with Mr.Robbins there, take a look at PC Magazines annual reader satisfaction survey from 2006:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2006497,00.asp

Personally I would say either configuration is fine, but would suggest a minimum of 2gigabytes of ram for windows vista. The reason being that from the reviews I read, 1024mb is the minimum and 2gb is really what you should have. You don't want to give your mom a reason to complain about slow speed etc...

In terms of other choices, you can pretty much go with anything as long as you have a decent warranty, on-site repair service is awesome for your mom's case, processor speed not so much. OpenOffice will definently suffice as well

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd go with the second one but try and get two gigs of ram. If you are using vista you will probably want the extra ram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TBH, either would do, but be prepared for a wait of up to 6 weeks for delivery. If I had to choose, I would go for the Vostro.

As for Open Office, in my case, I use it all the time (though admittedly on Linux). I create class slides, assignments, exams without problem in Open Office. I also receive a lot of Microsoft Office documents and have never once had any problem opening them (apart from Office 2007 documents, but that is to be expected). So I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Open Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hey, I have a Vostro, it's class... I've used both OpenOffice & MS Office, to be honest for the regular user they won't notice a difference at all, so go with OpenOffice me thinks...

The one thing I would say is try to get 2GB of RAM, the difference is noticeable... My buddy has a Sony with 1gb, it's grand but can get sluggish... I have 2gb, and even sitting idle it still uses around 40% of my RAM...

Advertisement