Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project Help. Logic controller?

• 27-08-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm looking for a cheap way to control and power approx 20 fiber optic lights for a hobby project.

I want the lights to be on a constant programmed loop with various commands to each output (eg. Light 1: off for 3 seconds on for 1 second, light 2: off for 7 seconds, on for 2 seconds etc. On repeat). I can manage basic programming but the easier this could be done the better.

The fiber optics are for a small indoor hobby project so low power, nothing special. The fiber lights will be attached to the rear of a picture in a frame, the lights poking through the canvas with the controller tucked away in the rear of the frame also.

What I'm looking for:

Name and type of a suitable controller and fiber optic equipment and where to get them. Any helpful links or tips very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Arduino would do it. There's probably not enough i/o's so you'd need to multiplex (5-32) it. I got relays from china that could be switched from 3.3v dc (arduino o/p) and pass mains voltage. Admittedly they look like a bit of a fire hazard..... If the lights work off of DC, (don't know much about fiber optic lights) then wire them all up to the battery/power source and use a transistor to switch them on individually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Are you just going to have the tip of the fibre visible?
    If so, why not use LEDs? You could simply use a basic PIC or Arduino to control these, if you don't have enough I/Os you could use shift registers, ie, 74HC595 or LED drivers such as the MAX7219 which can control up to 64 LEDs using only 3/4 I/Os.

If you're unfamiliar with microcontrollers the Arduino is the simplest way to go for hobby purposes.
    There are a lot of tutorials out there on these devices if you're unfamiliar and as far as I'm aware there are Arduino libraries that do most of the work for you already.

If you're unfamiliar with this stuff a quick google will sort you out or you could drop me a PM and I'll talk you through it.

Advertisement