Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI Grant application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

rawn wrote: »
    I think things will get kickstarted now the the LC results are out. Or when they start getting offers

I wouldn't bank on that it is SUSI after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Dose anyone know what time the cao make the offers tomorrow

6am I'm pretty sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Anyone else's on "Awaiting final assessment"?

Yes 5 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

Anyone else's on "Awaiting final assessment"?

I've been at this stage since the 18th of June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

I've been at this stage since the 18th of June

Would you say fees will be delayed until grant goes through?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

KellyR18 wrote: »
    Would you say fees will be delayed until grant goes through?

Yes. The fees cant be paid by susi until susi decide. In some cases colleges are prepared to wait. In others they insist on payment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Some colleges will do a payment plan of a few hundred each month for the college year.

Was on the phone to SUSI today and they were saying there its a 6 week turnaround at the moment, not sure if they are lying or not but they said they would expect me to hear next week or week after.

Some colleges will do a payment plan of a few hundred each month for the college year.

Was on the phone to SUSI today and they were saying there its a 6 week turnaround at the moment, not sure if they are lying or not but they said they would expect me to hear next week or week after.

They said the same to me that I should know before the end of this week! somehow I doubt it will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lee Arsenal

Stuck on stage 4 'application awaiting assessment' since 23rd of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm going into my final year, renewed my application 5 weeks ago today, i'm still on the first stage, haven't even been initially assessed yet. SUSI is a pile of bóllocks

I'm going into my final year, renewed my application 5 weeks ago today, i'm still on the first stage, haven't even been initially assessed yet. SUSI is a pile of bóllocks
    I am on the final stage for 6 weeks. Like you also going into my final year. I would hope now that the CAO is gone out etc that they start throwing some serious manpower at it.......... somehow i doubt it though.

Stuck on stage 4 'application awaiting assessment' since 23rd of June.

I'm in the same boat! in the final assessment since the 11th of june! If I dont hear anything by the end of this week i'm ringing on Monday

I'm in the same boat! in the final assessment since the 11th of june! If I dont hear anything by the end of this week i'm ringing on Monday

I suppose this is Ireland. We can't do anything efficiently! A better system has to be put in place

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I'm surprised the media haven't gotten involved yet. Maybe we should contact a few places. This is insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I am on the final stage for 6 weeks. Like you also going into my final year. I would hope now that the CAO is gone out etc that they start throwing some serious manpower at it.......... somehow i doubt it though.

At least you've moved on through the steps a bit? Tell me did you have to resubmit all those ridiculous documents we had to send in in 1st year? Really píssed off, it'll be December before I see a Cent from SUSI at this rate. Dunno how i'm going to get through final year without being able to take books from the library to study!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gaw_ wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I'm surprised the media haven't gotten involved yet. Maybe we should contact a few places. This is insanity.

It wouldnt really be a media issue at all yet. Sure termtime hasnt started!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I rang SUSI and they said I should hear something next week by letter. I applied in mid May and now stuck on 'app awaiting assessment' since June 23rd.

He said it takes 12 weeks minimum from when you submit an application and I'm in a queue with May applications. This is madness taking forever

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I rang SUSI and they said I should hear something next week by letter. I applied in mid May and now stuck on 'app awaiting assessment' since June 23rd.

He said it takes 12 weeks minimum from when you submit an application and I'm in a queue with May applications. This is madness taking forever

I did the same as you nearly 2 weeks ago and the said the exact same about a letter, surprise surprise. ..... I'm still waiting for one.

Just a little update I got in touch with susi again, as I said already they said i would have a letter by this week.Well that's gone out the window, no talk of a letter now, the new thing is I will be assessed on a "queuing basis" so god knows how longer it will be. 12 weeks my ar#e!

• Advertisement

bizzyb wrote: »
    Just a little update I got in touch with susi again, as I said already they said i would have a letter by this week.Well that's gone out the window, no talk of a letter now, the new thing is I will be assessed on a "queuing basis" so god knows how longer it will be. 12 weeks my ar#e!

Load of bollocks this is. Has anyone been approved yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Im a renewal, I reapplied the day they opened again, and ive sent all documents in ages ago, still waiting assessment :(
    I know a few friends in the same situation, and havent heard anything either.

Seems this year they are taking much much longer with everybody

Load of bollocks this is. Has anyone been approved yet?

Not one single person that I know of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

Question for anyone that can help me :

I have never applied for the grant before as my parents income combined is over the limit. I am now gone back to do a masters in college aged 23 and I am not getting any financial aid at all from my parents and living away from home. I applied for the grant about 3 weeks ago putting "estranged" into the parents section. If I am asked for documentation what will i do? I mean legally they are still my parents but I am barely home once a month and as i said i receive no financial aid from them. What will susi ask me for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Question for anyone that can help me :

I have never applied for the grant before as my parents income combined is over the limit. I am now gone back to do a masters in college aged 23 and I am not getting any financial aid at all from my parents and living away from home. I applied for the grant about 3 weeks ago putting "estranged" into the parents section. If I am asked for documentation what will i do? I mean legally they are still my parents but I am barely home once a month and as i said i receive no financial aid from them. What will susi ask me for ?

If you are living away from home and have utility bills and/or a rent agreement with your name on it then your parents income is not taken into account as you are financially independent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

If you are living away from home and have utility bills and/or a rent agreement with your name on it then your parents income is not taken into account as you are financially independent.

Thank you. However the bills are in the landladys name that come to the house and all my bills etc are still addressed to my home address. Any ideas?

Thank you. However the bills are in the landladys name that come to the house and all my bills etc are still addressed to my home address. Any ideas?

Do you have a lease or a rent agreement with your name on it? You need to prove independent living from October of last year. They are really strict on this. My OH can't get the grant because he doesn't have utility bills from last year, even though he has bank statements, social welfare letters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gin plus shock blanket

Do you have a lease or a rent agreement with your name on it? You need to prove independent living from October of last year. They are really strict on this. My OH can't get the grant because he doesn't have utility bills from last year, even though he has bank statements, social welfare letters etc.

I had the same issue last year. They will accept the bank statement as long as it shows rent going out of the account and the Social Welfare Letter must be in relation to rent allowance. In lieu of that A lease or a rent book are good but also a letter from your landlord with his PRTB registration number on it works as well.

I had the same issue last year. They will accept the bank statement as long as it shows rent going out of the account and the Social Welfare Letter must be in relation to rent allowance. In lieu of that A lease or a rent book are good but also a letter from your landlord with his PRTB registration number on it works as well.

My OH lives with me in my dad's house so there's no paper trail bar his bank stuff, phone bill, SW letters and other miscellaneous, none of which they will accept, we also sent a signed affidavit swearing he is financially independent at my dad's address but no joy. They really like everyone to fit into their perfect little boxes :o He now has to reapply as a dependent on his parents despite being 30 years old and not being home in 12 years :rolleyes: Before he can do that he had to cancel his previous application so he's been waiting for 2 weeks for the cancellation confirmation letter before he can start all over again. College only starts in 3 weeks like! Very slow system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Gin plus shock blanket

My OH lives with me in my dad's house so there's no paper trail bar his bank stuff, phone bill, SW letters and other miscellaneous, none of which they will accept, we also sent a signed affidavit swearing he is financially independent at my dad's address but no joy. They really like everyone to fit into their perfect little boxes :o He now has to reapply as a dependent on his parents despite being 30 years old and not being home in 12 years :rolleyes: Before he can do that he had to cancel his previous application so he's been waiting for 2 weeks for the cancellation confirmation letter before he can start all over again. College only starts in 3 weeks like! Very slow system.

Slow is a charitable term. I applied at the beginning of June last year and due to a lot of backwards and forwards about the independent living documentation, it was the second week of January before I got notification that I was successful. I was lucky in that I was waiting for fees only, if i had been depending on them for maintenance as well, I don't know what I would have done TBH.
    In regards to the fees, most colleges are more than aware at this point about what SUSI are like. On registration day if you can provide proof that you have submitted an application to SUSI and that it's being processed that should be OK.

Advertisement