Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Rapper's Who Will Be Around In The Next 10 Years

Options
  • 01-09-2014 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

got this list from ultimaterap.com

seem's to be on point

not in order

1.eminem
    2.drake
    3.kanye west
    4.nas
    5.jay z

what is your input on this list?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

They'll be around alright but I doubt they'll be running things. Majority of them are the old guard now. Drake will probably still be pretty massive unless he pulls a Ja Rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

The likes of em,jay,nas etc will always be round. They wont go away until they actually retire and stop making music, their a step above drake etc they have real classic music behind them that will be still played 10 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya those will all still be around one way or another.

It's funny when I think about it, because K-Dot, Action Bronson, Raekwon all will be forgotten by 2024 I'd say (which is disappointing I suppose).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Here's my take:

1.eminem - as long as people still buy his now average music, he'll still release music.
    2.drake - I can see him being around for another 10 years, although he'll go more away from rapping into crooning.
    3.kanye west - He'll have sparodic releases, and will start to write opera
    4.nas - he'll be one of those rappers that will come around every so often with a guest verse here and there that people get excited for.....and we'll never get the Premo album
    5.jay z - he'll hang up the mic in less than 5 years I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

rapgod wrote: »
    got this list from ultimaterap.com

seem's to be on point

not in order

1.eminem
    2.drake
    3.kanye west
    4.nas
    5.jay z

what is your input on this list?

What's the point of this list? What exactly does "be around" mean?

Rakim is still 'around' 27 years after Paid in Full but I wouldn't say he has a great relevance in the game at the moment, outside of influencing almost every artist rapping, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya those will all still be around one way or another.

It's funny when I think about it, because K-Dot, Action Bronson, Raekwon all will be forgotten by 2024 I'd say (which is disappointing I suppose).

I can't imagine Kendrick will ever be forgotten. GKMC will go down as a classic and one of the best hip hop albums of all time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

SeaDaily wrote: »
    I can't imagine Kendrick will ever be forgotten. GKMC will go down as a classic and one of the best hip hop albums of all time imo.

I'd agree with this. There's still plenty more to come from him, I'd say. Of course, we've seen plenty of rappers tail off after a few great releases, but any features of his I've heard recently have been fantastic. Can't wait for him to bring out a new album or (fingers crossed) a collaboration album with some of the other TDE guys.

Don't see how Raekwon will be forgotten, either. He released one of the best rap albums of all time almost 20 years ago he's "still around" and generally regarded as one of the best ever. He was also a member of one of (if not the) most influential hip hop acts of all time. As Jimmy Iovine said, Rakim is still around and I'd put him and Raekwon in the same bracket.

I think what he could mean is will they fall out of the commercial eye.

There's a lot of rappers who use to be mainstream but for whatever reason fell off the general publics radar leading them to think their not "around" anymore but yet their still actually making music it's just not getting the radio spins anymore more than likely because the rapper is independent and not backed by a major.

Interesting.

I'd prefer Section 80 over GKMC myself. Would not put GKMC down as an all-time classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭HonestCry

There is a lot of underground rappers, that don't get recognition but have far more then these guys have to offer at the moment that's for sure!
    I don't understand why everybody follows what everybody else knows.. check the songs out below ( if you dare )
    Living Legends - Never Falling Down
    Phora great young artist
    Atmosphere great artist
    Cunninlynguists - The Gates
    Kno - Loneliness

And all these songs have meaning.
    Old and hungry Kanye made good music! He has everything now so why bother? Caught up in fame. ( disappointing )
    Eminem and his problems are too much for me it seems thats all he raps about.
    Drakes not a rapper.
    Nas hasn't been around as far as i know.
    Old Jay-Z was a talented guy just listen to 'Dead Presidents'

• Advertisement

HonestCry wrote: »

And all these songs have meaning.
    Old and hungry Kanye made good music! He has everything now so why bother? Caught up in fame. ( disappointing )
    Eminem and his problems are too much for me it seems thats all he raps about.
    Drakes not a rapper.
    Nas hasn't been around as far as i know.
    Old Jay-Z was a talented guy just listen to 'Dead Presidents'

You're wrong here. Saw him over the summer for his Illmatic tour. Top class.

You're wrong here. Saw him over the summer for his Illmatic tour. Top class.

Didn't know he was out and about but no doubt he is a talented guy!

Interesting.

I'd prefer Section 80 over GKMC myself. Would not put GKMC down as an all-time classic.

Have said the same numerous times here before gkmc isn't comparable to section 80, it's a great album but it's not a classic at least not yet in my eyes.

Nas's last album was decent and his best since gods son , I think he'll come out with something in the new year alright.

Have said the same numerous times here before gkmc isn't comparable to section 80, it's a great album but it's not a classic at least not yet in my eyes.

Nas's last album was decent and his best since gods son , I think he'll come out with something in the new year alright.

It's obviously down to personal opinion as to whether section 80 is better than GKMC or not. However the fact is GKMC is much much better known than section 80 and sold millions more copies. In my opinion there is no chance that in the future section 80 will be considered a classic and GKMC is not. I can see it being likely they will both be considered classics in 8-10 years. Either way in my opinion GKMC had a bigger impact on hip-hop and it just about pips section 80 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Eminem & Jay when they retire will go down as 2 of the greatest of all time imo. Nas on a lesser scale too.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Eminem & Jay when they retire will go down as 2 of the greatest of all time imo. Nas on a lesser scale too.

Rappers aren't categorized in terms of the 'greatest' in my opinion they all offer something different and all have unique flows etc.
    Eminem may be great to some but unbearable for others the same with Jay-Z.
    Rappers are like different flavored sweets if you will so i wouldn't put my favorite sweet against someones favorite sweet, it wouldn't be fair.
    Just my opinion.

It's obviously down to personal opinion as to whether section 80 is better than GKMC or not. However the fact is GKMC is much much better known than section 80 and sold millions more copies. In my opinion there is no chance that in the future section 80 will be considered a classic and GKMC is not. I can see it being likely they will both be considered classics in 8-10 years. Either way in my opinion GKMC had a bigger impact on hip-hop and it just about pips section 80 for me.

I remember starting a thread here a few years ago when not many knew or heard about lamar it was around the time section 80 was due to be released since then he's become more well known thats the only reason why GKMC has had a bigger impact not because its a better album imo.

Nas might not of had the same commercial success as em and jay but he is their equal, illmatic alone puts him in that category.

Jay is smart standing side by side with kanye, rhianna and beyonce for so long that easily could of been a nas etc, those artists have kept jay in the lime light and made him bigger as an artist not because he makes music that is leaps and bounds better than nas's.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Rappers aren't categorized in terms of the 'greatest' in my opinion they all offer something different and all have unique flows etc.
    Eminem may be great to some but unbearable for others the same with Jay-Z.
    Rappers are like different flavored sweets if you will so i wouldn't put my favorite sweet against someones favorite sweet, it wouldn't be fair.
    Just my opinion.

eh...I think you misunderstand the spirit of the genre

Jezek wrote: »
    eh...I think you misunderstand the spirit of the genre

Enlighten me with your perspective ? :)

I remember starting a thread here a few years ago when not many knew or heard about lamar it was around the time section 80 was due to be released since then he's become more well known thats the only reason why GKMC has had a bigger impact not because its a better album imo.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. IMO it doesn't really matter which was actually the better album. GKMC sold millions more copies and was way more popular and as such it has a far higher chance of being widely considered a classic in the future.

• Advertisement

This "opinion" is wrong because rappers are routinely categorized in terms of "greatness" by both hip-hop fans and hip-hop artists alike. To say this isn't the case is incorrect.

Being the "greatest" is integral to hip-hop as a genre and is what has always driven the genre forward. Without competition amongst artists hip-hop is nothing and would become stagnant. If you don't understand this nature of competitiveness in hip-hop you don't fully understand hip-hop as a genre and that is why Jezek said that you misunderstand the spirit of the genre.

This "opinion" is wrong because rappers are routinely categorized in terms of "greatness" by both hip-hop fans and hip-hop artists alike. To say this isn't the case is incorrect.

Being the "greatest" is integral to hip-hop as a genre and is what has always driven the genre forward. Without competition amongst artists hip-hop is nothing and would become stagnant. If you don't understand this nature of competitiveness in hip-hop you don't fully understand hip-hop as a genre and that is why Jezek said that you misunderstand the spirit of the genre.

Well i don't think there is a greatest rapper as many of them provide different stories and influences amongst todays audiences. So where i'm coming from is that IMO there isn't a rapper today that's sitting on a 'thrown' again in my opinion. There is competition but for me rap is just dead. BUT in saying that underground rap is and will always be over looked but still growing without people knowing because they're too busy following whats on Sky Music channel instead of searching YouTube for great artists that are true to word.
    Many people tend to listen to music as one big chunk of sound instead of depicting the lyrics from the song and in turn learning and growing from the lyrics itself.
    I tend to take music very seriously because people think Iggy Azalea can rap and people think Drakes a rapper but he's not lol not pointing any fingers but people who listen to music are ignorant to the fact of what music represents and just go along with it because it's a 'catchy' song but i too do the same when i'm on a night out etc!
    But the artists mentioned in this thread will be relevant in 10 years as they have left a path behind them but most of them have changed. ( Money )
    It a tough subject but if you think rap is what is was then im sorry you feel that way.
    There's other people that know the ins and outs of a subject like this, us white folks didn't start the book of rap and we certainly won't have an impact on it like Tupac, Biggie etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Lol I don't know who half of the people you're talking about are.
    Would Dre or Snoop not make that list of being around in ten years?
    The fact they are still around now kind of suggests they will be around in another 10 as horrible has-beens.

Check out Thugnasty. He is on youtube. A next best thing, if you will.

Well i don't think there is a greatest rapper as many of them provide different stories and influences amongst todays audiences. So where i'm coming from is that IMO there isn't a rapper today that's sitting on a 'thrown' again in my opinion. There is competition but for me rap is just dead. BUT in saying that underground rap is and will always be over looked but still growing without people knowing because they're too busy following whats on Sky Music channel instead of searching YouTube for great artists that are true to word.
    Many people tend to listen to music as one big chunk of sound instead of depicting the lyrics from the song and in turn learning and growing from the lyrics itself.
    I tend to take music very seriously because people think Iggy Azalea can rap and people think Drakes a rapper but he's not lol not pointing any fingers but people who listen to music are ignorant to the fact of what music represents and just go along with it because it's a 'catchy' song but i too do the same when i'm on a night out etc!
    But the artists mentioned in this thread will be relevant in 10 years as they have left a path behind them but most of them have changed. ( Money )
    It a tough subject but if you think rap is what is was then im sorry you feel that way.
    There's other people that know the ins and outs of a subject like this, us white folks didn't start the book of rap and we certainly won't have an impact on it like Tupac, Biggie etc

Obviously there is no one single objectively chosen "greatest" of all time. However you said "rappers aren't classified in terms of the 'greatest'", which isn't the case. Rappers are consistently classed as being the "greatest" and put into top 5 lists etc. I think you probably just worded it wrong and what you meant to say was "I personally don't class rappers in terms of being the "greatest" and that is perfectly fair enough.

I take issue with you saying rappers is dead as that is just blatantly total bs. You are coming across as one of those people who constantly says "oh that's not REAL music, REAL music ended years ago". This snobby, elitist attitude does no one any good.

"It a tough subject but if you think rap is what is was then im sorry you feel that way."

I don't really understand what you mean by this. If you can't appreciate that hip-hop is improving year on year you need to move on and stop pretending that "real" hip-hop died with Biggie and 2pac. In my opinion, in terms of their musical legacy both were lucky to die when they did because had they lived on to live through the 2000s I have absolutely no doubt they both would have collabed with the likes of Lil Wayne and other such "ignorant rappers" and the comments section of their videos on youtube with be full of comments saying "I want the old 2pac/Biggie back", "2pac/Biggie is such a sell-out" etc.

Also, bringing race into a discussion like this is totally ridiculous. How do you even know I'm white?

Obviously there is no one single objectively chosen "greatest" of all time. However you said "rappers aren't classified in terms of the 'greatest'", which isn't the case. Rappers are consistently classed as being the "greatest" and put into top 5 lists etc. I think you probably just worded it wrong and what you meant to say was "I personally don't class rappers in terms of being the "greatest" and that is perfectly fair enough.

I take issue with you saying rappers is dead as that is just blatantly total bs. You are coming across as one of those people who constantly says "oh that's not REAL music, REAL music ended years ago". This snobby, elitist attitude does no one any good.

"It a tough subject but if you think rap is what is was then im sorry you feel that way."

I don't really understand what you mean by this. If you can't appreciate that hip-hop is improving year on year you need to move on and stop pretending that "real" hip-hop died with Biggie and 2pac. In my opinion, in terms of their musical legacy both were lucky to die when they did because had they lived on to live through the 2000s I have absolutely no doubt they both would have collabed with the likes of Lil Wayne and other such "ignorant rappers" and the comments section of their videos on youtube with be full of comments saying "I want the old 2pac/Biggie back", "2pac/Biggie is such a sell-out" etc.

Also, bringing race into a discussion like this is totally ridiculous. How do you even know I'm white?

Firstly, hip-hop isn't dead it lives through UNDERGROUND RAPPERS. I said that already. You seem to know nothing of whats lies beneath. Name all rappers that you listen to, everyone of them, if you don't mind! Rappers today once started off as hungry ambitious youngsters BUT now that they have money and their struggles have gone they have no reason to put time into their lyrics.

Secondly i'm not getting into a discussion about Tupac and Biggie so don't bring it up. But Lil Wayne wouldn't be here if Tupac and Biggie were here try telling that to someone and they'll laugh. A lot of rap groups fell through after Tupac and Biggie died SO they became irrelevant after their leaders deaths but if they didn't die the rap scene would be FAR different then it is today please don't say it would be how it is, please for the love of god.
    Again i'd like to know the rappers you listen to then i'll decide if you know anything or not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Firstly, hip-hop isn't dead it lives through UNDERGROUND RAPPERS. I said that already. You seem to know nothing of whats lies beneath. Name all rappers that you listen to, everyone of them, if you don't mind! Rappers today once started off as hungry ambitious youngsters BUT now that they have money and their struggles have gone they have no reason to put time into their lyrics.

Secondly i'm not getting into a discussion about Tupac and Biggie so don't bring it up. But Lil Wayne wouldn't be here if Tupac and Biggie were here try telling that to someone and they'll laugh. A lot of rap groups fell through after Tupac and Biggie died SO they became irrelevant after their leaders deaths but if they didn't die the rap scene would be FAR different then it is today please don't say it would be how it is, please for the love of god.
    Again i'd like to know the rappers you listen to then i'll decide if you know anything or not :)

Just out of curiosity who would you classify as underground rappers today?

HighClass wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity who would you classify as underground rappers today?

Oh my, lets see i'll put the list below
    Living Legends
    Cunninlynguists
    Phora
    Gavlyn ( girl )

There's 100's, 1000's of underground rappers that aren't recognized, There's a thick book of names it doesn't end. I can't go into it, i won't stop :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

On the bolded point, not speaking as a Lil Wayne fan, he was around at this time believe it or not and with regional success. Think he got his deal when he was 9 or 10. His popularity would have grown anyway with how Cash Money grew regionally in the mid to late 90's.

And to put on my Mod hat:

Mod Note: Don't turn this into a competition on who knows more about rap because of who they listen to. That wont resolve anything.

Haha what total nonsense, Lil Wayne was rapping and making money when Biggie and 2Pac were still alive. I don't know where you picked up this "I'm better than everyone else" attitude but you would do well to lose it. No need to be a total condescending arsehole with lines like "then I'll decide if you know anything or not". Who the hell do you think you are?

Anyway, here is a list of artists that I listen to, taken directly from my iTunes library, I hope I am worthy o great one.

Aesop Rock
    Asap Rocky
    A-1
    Ab-Soul
    Anilyst
    B.o.B.
    Big K.R.I.T.
    Big Boi
    Big L
    Black Hippy
    Brotha Lynch Hung
    Busta Rhymes
    Ces Cru
    Chamillionaire
    Childish Gambino
    Chingy
    Chris Webby
    Classified
    clipping.
    Clipse
    Coolio
    Crooked I
    Currency
    D-12
    Dead Prez
    Dizzy Wright
    DMX
    Dr.Dre
    Drag-On
    Drake
    Eazy-E
    Eminem
    Flatbush Zombies
    Fort Minor
    Futuristic
    The Game
    Ghostface Killah
    Gia Medley
    Godemis
    Grieves
    Hard Target
    The Hilltop Hoods
    Hopsin
    Ice Cube
    Isaiah Rashad
    J. Cole
    Jarren Benton
    Jay Rock
    Jay-Z
    Jeff Turner
    Joe Budden
    Joey Bada$$
    Jurassic 5
    Kanye West
    Kendrick Lamar
    Keny Arkana
    Kid Cudi
    King Los
    Krizz Kaliko
    Kutt Calhoun
    Lil Wayne
    Lil Wyte
    Liquid Assassin
    Logic
    Mac Miller
    MGK
    Macklemore
    Mayday
    McFee
    MOP
    Mos Def
    N.W.A.
    Nas
    Nate Dogg
    Nelly
    Nicki Minaj
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    Obie Trice
    OCD: Moosh and Twist
    Oobergeek
    Outkast
    Pharoahe Monch
    Phille Tha Kid
    Pries
    Pro Era
    Public Enemy
    Pusha T
    R.A. the Rugged Man
    Rakim
    Rejjie Snow
    Rittz
    Roy Jones
    Royce da 5'9
    Run DMC
    Savage
    ScHoolboy Q
    Serial Killers
    Slaughterhouse
    Snoop Dogg
    Snow Tha Product
    SonReal
    Sweatshop Union
    SwizZz
    Swollen Members
    T.I.
    Tech N9ne
    Trick Trick
    Twista
    Ubiquitous
    The Underachievers
    Waka Flocka
    Wax
    Wiley
    Will Smith
    Wiz Khalifa
    Wu Tang Clan
    Xzibit
    Yelawolf
    Young Jeezy
    Zion I
    2Pac
    50 Cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Creeby

Jayzis..

Advertisement