Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit for teenager finished school.

Options
  • 03-07-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Hi,just a query for anyone here who may know the answer. Not even too sure if this is the correct forum. My eldest daughter completed her leaving cert this year She (hopefully!) is off to college in September.Her child benefit money was stopped this month- will that money be back paid once she starts attending college? Or is that it, just no payment for July and August? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the past it has been back paid once they get a copy of a letter showing she's registered in college.

I don't know if they have changed the rules since then, but it certainly was the case two years ago that they back paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Owl tattoo

Im fairly sure it did change couple of years ago...once child reaches eighteen years of age child benefit stops, even if in full time education. Check citizen information site...I'm not allowed post link yet..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Owl tattoo wrote: »
    Im fairly sure it did change couple of years ago...once child reaches eighteen years of age child benefit stops, even if in full time education. Check citizen information site...I'm not allowed post link yet..:(

I think you're right. If the OP's daughter is still 17 when she starts college she can apply for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Yep,she will turn 18 in spring next year so perhaps it will still be paid. It would go a long way towards her monthly spend while in uni. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Hi OP. Unfortunately it stops once they reach 18. My son turned 18 last November and that was it. As far as I know it used to be paid until they were 22 if they were in full time education. If your daughter is going to college make sure you apply now for any grants that you might be entitled to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

Unfortunately not once your child turns 18 that's it. I'm in the same boat, son turns 18 in September and that's it. Still has all of 6th year to go never mind college.

Friend of mine was in the same boat last year and she confirmed that it's not paid even though they are in full time education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Got the shock of my life when went to collect child benefit last week and they handed me half the amount i usually get. when I asked about this the girl said your daughter didnt finish school by any chance. I really didnt know I thought when they were in full time education they still got child benefit, How wrong I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Full-time education (aged 16 and 17)

If your child is 16 or 17 years of age and in full-time education you will get Child Benefit until June. You will not get another payment until your child returns to full-time education in September. The Child Benefit section will send you an application form in August. If your child returns to full-time education in September, fill in and return this application form. When you get your payment it will include any arrears due to you, including Child Benefit for July and August. If your child turns 18 during the summer you will get any arrears due up until the month they turn 18 – provided they return to education in September.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Thanks for all the replies-ruberdungeon- that's good news. Daughter turns 18 next spring so she will receive back payments which will go some way towards her college expenses. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Full-time education (aged 16 and 17)

If your child is 16 or 17 years of age and in full-time education you will get Child Benefit until June. You will not get another payment until your child returns to full-time education in September. The Child Benefit section will send you an application form in August. If your child returns to full-time education in September, fill in and return this application form. When you get your payment it will include any arrears due to you, including Child Benefit for July and August. If your child turns 18 during the summer you will get any arrears due up until the month they turn 18 – provided they return to education in September.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html

That's not really much help to people who have to buy expensive books for their 16 or 17 year old in July and August!

When did that change come in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

You don't get any child benefit if they're in college, even if they are under 18. The last post by rubberdungeon only applies if they are going back to secondary school. Child Benefit stops at age 18 or when leaving secondary school after leaving cert whichever comes first. My first daughter turned 18 five years ago while still in 6th year, her child benefit was reduced by half until end of 6th year. My second daughter turned 18 last September and that was her last payment even though she had only started 6th year. The full-time education thing doesn't include 3rd level.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

jmbkay wrote: »
    You don't get any child benefit if they're in college, even if they are under 18. The last post by rubberdungeon only applies if they are going back to secondary school. Child Benefit stops at age 18 or when leaving secondary school after leaving cert whichever comes first. My first daughter turned 18 five years ago while still in 6th year, her child benefit was reduced by half until end of 6th year. My second daughter turned 18 last September and that was her last payment even though she had only started 6th year. The full-time education thing doesn't include 3rd level.

Not true. You get child benefit until they are 18 if they are in full time education. Yours stopped because they were 18.

If they are in college then you get a form for college to stamp. However any payments made for children between 16 and 18 years old will stop in June and then reimbursed upon return to education and completion of the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Child benefit was never paid until age 22.
    If a claimant was getting a SW payment for example OPFP and you had a child in full time education you could continue getting the child's part of that(€29.80 per week for many years) until 22.
    Child benefit used to be paid till a child's 19 birthday, now its until a child's 18 birthday.
    It stops at 16 for those who leave school, and is repayable and back payable in the September on receipt of confirmation that the child has returned to school.
    There were never any "half " payments of CB.
    CB is paid for 18 years max, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

The rate payable to a child aged 18 was reduced to half the usual rate in January 2009. From 2010, Child Benefit was no longer paid to a child aged 18.

For certain low income families affected by the change in the Child Benefit for children aged 18, there was a special separate compensatory payment of €15 per week for children aged 18 years. This compensatory measure ended on 31 December 2010.

Was in this situation with my second child so remember it well.

As stated, you will get a form for the college to fill out, and you will then continue to get child benefit until the child's 18th birthday, (including June and July arrears) as long as they remain in full time education.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Child benefit was never paid until age 22.
    If a claimant was getting a SW payment for example OPFP and you had a child in full time education you could continue getting the child's part of that(€29.80 per week for many years) until 22.
    Child benefit used to be paid till a child's 19 birthday, now its until a child's 18 birthday.
    It stops at 16 for those who leave school, and is repayable and back payable in the September on receipt of confirmation that the child has returned to school.
    There were never any "half " payments of CB.
    CB is paid for 18 years max, no more.

Absolutely definitely got my 18 year olds child benefit reduced by half as a result of the budget in 2008 until she finished secondary school in June 2009, (over 18). No such thing today though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

For about 2 years they ran a scheme whereby if you were in receipt of, I think FIS? you could continue to get 1/2 rate CB I think for around a year or so. it only lasted about 2 years and was linked to your being in receipt of another SW payment. as soon as the bubble burst it was abandoned anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

The half rate was for all recipients, it was the special compensatory payment of €15 which was only paid to low income families.

alf66 wrote: »
    The half rate was for all recipients, it was the special compensatory payment of €15 which was only paid to low income families.

Correct. I was never in receipt of any SW payments

Advertisement