Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending off demos/records to hotpress

Options
  • 13-05-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I've got the addresses for records to the editor and demos to the first cuts. But what do you need to do? how do you send them? Anyone here with any advice on how to do that?

If your sending records to the editor are they/he looking for like a record with artwork? Or a digital release ( Itunes, Amazon etc ) that can be just burned on to any old CD?

Any advice on this subject appreciated.

Jammy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Is this an album or a demo you have? Magazines get inundated with both. A lot of magazines will list their address but state they won’t guarantee you a review, as they have “industry” bands (signed and/or with a big following) to cater to first, which makes sense. If you’re sending your CD to the editor, you’ll want it to be a hardcopy with artwork that looks semi-decent. Sending in a burned copy is probably the quickest way to get it binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Thanks Waking dreams. I was just wanting to send in my digital releases on a burned CD. But it looks like I'd be better off sending them to the demo section is that correct? Will they accept a burned CD? Also what should I include with it other than my contact details such as phone number and address? Bio and photo maybe? :confused:

Thanks for all your help by the way.

Jammy

This might sound like payola but one tactic that has been used by bands and artists for getting their CD reviewed is to call up a magazine and take out a small advert. You then follow up by mentioning you have a CD to promote as well and could they put you in touch with the name of the person who handles that.

This doesn’t guarantee you’ll get a good review (or even any review for that matter) but you’re paying for advert revenue (a magazine’s primary income) which sets you apart from the 100s of other acts that just want to send the magazine their CD, hope for a good review and then move along, never contributing anything to the magazine. Record labels take out adverts all the time in magazines, hence why their bands will always get reviews (and seldom get really bad reviews too), so why should all the others be any different?

I haven’t sent CDs to magazines for ages but if you’re going to send a burned CD, just make it look as professional as possible. Put in a decent booklet. Perhaps design it so that all your press (short bio, photo) is part of the booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

This might sound like payola but one tactic that has been used by bands and artists for getting their CD reviewed is to call up a magazine and take out a small advert. You then follow up by mentioning you have a CD to promote as well and could they put you in touch with the name of the person who handles that.

I've seen this where a band who take out an advert or use the services of certain publications are also featured in a small feature also, such as "what's on our CD player at the moment" or something similar.

That’s it. Getting featured in a magazine isn’t always about the quality of your music. It’s about your ability to do “business” with them and speak their language. Of course, you’ll still need exceptional music to stand out but in order to get your foot in the door it certainly helps to “help out” the magazine and can snowball into other benefits for your act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Come to think of it I do have a Mandolin for sale. hmmm. Good idea lads I might follow through with that. I think though that hotpress are aware of many Cd's that come through the mail and do look after Irish artists no matter what package they come in. I'm sure they've had the nice packages and bad music and then the really rubbish lookin ones with good content on them.

I did ring them up though just the now. She said it wouldnt matter which way I send it in that it would be listened to. But she did say you could if you wanted have some artwork to make it stand out a little more but not neccessary.

:pac::pac::pac:->>> Jams CD getting a possible shredding as we speak lol

Advertisement