Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Hicks in Eamonn Dorans on 24th February

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

so, who went? what did everyone think? i, personally, was disappointed.. i found that a load of people had no respect for others and just would not SHUT THE FÚCK UP TAALKING!! as for the videos, i found they were very bad quality and i wonder if they could not get their hands on some better copies. having said that, the stuff they had was great, ninja bachelor party looked fantastic! but again, i couldnt hear anything, and could barely see it also... my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Jonathon, agree with you - at times I was struggling to hear what Bill was saying during his second stand-up show. Too many w*nkers talking through the whole thing. Why pay 4 euros in if you're not there to watch it? Doesn't make any sense.

On the whole I was disappointed and I apologised to the people I had convinced to come along - the video quality was extremely poor, barely watchable, particularly during the ninja film. I expected more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

shíte organisation. had fun but little to do with BH which is why i was there.

guy who organised this, and hopefully is is a boardsie needs to learn the following:

-bill hick's main shows are available on DVD
    -he has shows where he doesn't repeat material from others for 30 minutes at a time
    -if you have a crappy, dirty copy of something, rare as it is, which you can buy on the net.....may be an idea to buy a new one before showing it to ~200 people who just paid to see it.

besides all that, nice to see someone is organising something for fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

I found the fact that people would pay into something and then talk bizzare and irksome (altho in fairness maybe they started because of the **** sound :P) Disappointing night and sadder for my friend could not appreciate his comedy but pffft whatever. If they show it again i'll give it a miss and then ask you guys if anything changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

A Few comments:

The ninja bachelor movie was crap quality (looked like a 10th generation vhs copy or something) and the first half of the actual thing itself was as lame and unfunny as hell. Picked up in the 2nd half tho when the fight began.I especially liked the bit where Clarence throws Dr.Death off a 30 story building into a swiming pool and somehow STILL manages to get hit in the face with a water splash as he's peering over the edge.

The feed seemed to cut out a lot in the middle of screenings.

There was a lot of repetion of material. The fife alabama sketch was played at least four times by my reckoning.

I couldn't hear a word on the 3rd video (ie the early-career performance where he had the brown/black t-shirt) and it wasn't because people were talking too loud either, it was purely a technical problem.

Other than that I was pretty pleased with it all. Good job to whoever it was organised it and For all the moaners ..... at 4 euro you can't really expect anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Ok, that was ****
    I'm a HUGE follower of bill hicks, loved his stuff
    but this night did nothing whatsoever
    relentless is widely available, and is shown too many times, should've done something different
    the one night stand wasn't so bad.....BUT it was just a condensed version of relentless
    the quality of the ninja bachelor party was disasterous!!! It was probably something to do with the projecter cos the tv screens weren't as bad, but this sorta **** should've been sorted out before hand.
    For the film itself, the odd funny bit, nothing hugely brilliant, but when it got into it, it was hilarious, some brilliant little bits.
    then we had the medley of random bill stuff.
    the show of him when he was younger looked cool, but the sound was SHITE!!! from what I heard it was funny, mainly jokes bout school, and teenage life and stuff
    thought the bit about how bill was prepared for david letterman was good and the david letterman show itself wasn't so bad
    but because of the quality of the rest of the medley, I just had to leave

nowhere near as good as the one back in May/June?? last year

Pigman II wrote:
    at 4 euro you can't really expect anything.

gimme €4 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

karlhoff wrote:
    gimme €4 then.

I would except you'd most likely just end up blowing it on another dirt-cheap public event that you later deem unsatisfactory.

So instead I've just given €4 to charity. I hope that will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Pigman II wrote:
    I would except you'd most likely just end up blowing it on another dirt-cheap public event that you later deem unsatisfactory.

Public event is stretching it a bit. The term infers a degree of professionalism.

fine thanks. :)

<rant>really though, i think that we have a serious problem in this country, seeing that we're all rich and all, that if something is cheap it's quite ok if it's shíte, rather than good value.
    with everything so overpriced at the moment, it's certainly nice if you can get in somewhere for less than a tenner but this was still taking the mick. an attitude like "at 4 euro you can't really expect anything" is exactly why things won't get better or cheaper (bars, niteclubs, gigs, restaurants and the like)</rant>

• Advertisement
Advertisement