Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wiring light in new bathroom

• 02-06-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3

Hi all just moved into new home and putting up a light over the sink in bathroom. I got an IP21 light which just has a brown and blue wire but coming out of the wall in the bathroom is 2 blue and 1 brown with a piece of the cable bent back. Tried all combinations and best i can get is that the light just flashes on and off. There is 2 switches outside the bathroom one for the main bathroom lights and the other i presumed was for this other light but it only flashes when i turn on the main light switch.
    Head done in! any help hugely appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Bunter the two blues are two nuetrals which should be connected together with the blue from your light and connect the brown with your brown. If it is switched from the door then the brown should become live when switched (phase tester). Is it a shaver light by the way and does it have a pull chord??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 bunter1983

Thanks for the reply. The brown isnt live at all even when switched but i do get a positive on the phase tester on one of the blues. Its just a basic light for over the bathroom sink, im thinking at this stage that the switch is wired wrong as with all the combinations the light will never come but when i turn on main lights it will flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

bunter1983 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. The brown isnt live at all even when switched but i do get a positive on the phase tester on one of the blues. Its just a basic light for over the bathroom sink, im thinking at this stage that the switch is wired wrong as with all the combinations the light will never come but when i turn on main lights it will flash.

The phase tester lighting up is due to the "broken neutral". Both blue wires should be joined. I take it that they were joined before you started the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Yes as the other post says the blue is live because of a back feed on a broken nuetral. the two when joined together will not be live you will find. If the brown is not live when switched on it may not have been connected in the back of the switch. If you open up the switch and find a wire not connected then connect it into the terminal marked L1. Plus make sure there is a link of wire linking the two terminals marked com. When the switch is on you should have a phase going out on L1 of your mirror switch which should mean you have a phase at the brown at your lighting point. Turn off power if you have to work on anything if your not sure. Also the reason I asked if it was a shaver light was because it wont work unless the cover/shade is on and sometimes the copper strips on each side may need slight adjusting.

Advertisement