Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nesting starlings driving me mad

• 15-05-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I have a few starlings nesting under the roof tiles above my kids' room. They make a fierce racket from first light to last thing at night - and then there are the birds!!! No seriously these starlings are driving me crazy. Kids cannot sleep.

Last year after they left I stuffed mesh under all the roof tiles. This allowed the air to circulate while blocking their return - or so I thought. I dont know what they did to get back to nest but they are back.

Any ideas of how to evict them? They are not protected species and can be evicted as needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was under the impression that as of a recent amendment in 2000 to the Wildlife Act of 1976 that it was unlawful to interfere with any nesting birds if there are still eggs or chicks present. Prior to this amendment it was for protected species only.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭my user name

Alun wrote: »
    I was under the impression that as of a recent amendment in 2000 to the Wildlife Act of 1976 that it was unlawful to interfere with any nesting birds if there are still eggs or chicks present. Prior to this amendment it was for protected species only.

how about i encourage them to leave!

Same thing. Just wait until the chicks have hatched, shouldn't be too long now.

Alun wrote: »
    Same thing. Just wait until the chicks have hatched, shouldn't be too long now.

chicks are well-hatched

chicks are well-hatched
    Sorry, I should have said have they fledged, i.e. left the nest, yet? If not, they're still dependent on their parents for food. Should be easy to spot the parents flying in and out regularly with mouthfuls of worms, insects etc. if they're still in the nest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Expanding foam.........following their departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I have the same.. Nest of birds in the roof, and the new hatchlings are chirping the whole time.. I meant to get the roof sorted after last year but didnt have the money... But I'd rather suffer the noise than kill them or force them out... I'd say leave them alone, they'll be fledged soon enough anyway...

Rats, I would burn alive... But I couldnt harm the little birds.. :)

I have the same.. Nest of birds in the roof, and the new hatchlings are chirping the whole time.. I meant to get the roof sorted after last year but didnt have the money... But I'd rather suffer the noise than kill them or force them out... I'd say leave them alone, they'll be fledged soon enough anyway...

Rats, I would burn alive... But I couldnt harm the little birds.. :)

these birds are just rats with wings. If it comes down to me/family getting a proper night's sleep and the starlings.... well it is going to be the birds that need to suffer?

Any ideas on how to get rid of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

The problem is they will come back next year and the year after if you do nothing. We have the same problem. I think we'll just wait for them all to go out some day and block the whole thing up. Expanding foam sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Calico101

I am having the exact same problem! My cat is going nuts as well. The sooner they fly away the better. I just don't have the heart to block up their nest though. It's their home after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

Qs wrote: »
    The problem is they will come back next year and the year after if you do nothing. We have the same problem. I think we'll just wait for them all to go out some day and block the whole thing up. Expanding foam sounds like a good idea.

I would not use expanding foam for this. Your attic needs to be aerated and you will get problems if you block it up. Birds need a space to get in. Better to use a small gauge chicken wire tucked in under the tiles.
    That's what I plan to do when they are fledged.

Calico101 wrote: »
    I am having the exact same problem! My cat is going nuts as well. The sooner they fly away the better. I just don't have the heart to block up their nest though. It's their home after all!

squatters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have a few starlings nesting under the roof tiles above my kids' room. They make a fierce racket from first light to last thing at night - and then there are the birds!!! No seriously these starlings are driving me crazy. Kids cannot sleep.

Last year after they left I stuffed mesh under all the roof tiles. This allowed the air to circulate while blocking their return - or so I thought. I dont know what they did to get back to nest but they are back.

Any ideas of how to evict them? They are not protected species and can be evicted as needs be.

As my girlfriend suggested to me,would you not install some bird houses/nest boxes around the garden....as an alternative place for them to nest in

Birds in your garden are benificial for the garden and also wildlife in an urban setting is a good thing...too may concrete jungles these days with fcuk all in the way of wildlife.:(

Do not kill them or evict them,as they are like you,as in they just want a nice cosy place to live in,for the time being.

And do not use expanding foam either,as this will damage your roof aswell and air will not circulate through the roof and its rafters.

You will also create "pooling" on the felt,as the rain will not have a free run down the roof.

Best Regards.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

You think you have it bad. From 5:30am every morning all i hear right beside my bedroom window is ku ku ku ku ku ku ku ku ku ku kuu for hours, driving me mad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have the same issue with Sparrows although thankfully not as noisy. If sealing it isn't an option, I was looking at one of these
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Hedgehog-Gutter-Brush-Black/10823/6.0.6

Just unfurl it and let it lie in the gutter and it should block access to their hole.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I have the same issue with Sparrows although thankfully not as noisy. If sealing it isn't an option, I was looking at one of these
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Hedgehog-Gutter-Brush-Black/10823/6.0.6

Just unfurl it and let it lie in the gutter and it should block access to their hole.

Overpriced...17-18 euro in most builders providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

Exactly.Even if they are just eggs in a nest or chicks strongly encourage them to leave otherwise they will be back nesting again next year and so on.
    Remember you have to be cruel to be kind.
    These are really dirty f_ckers I had an antenna over the house a number of years ago and they used to perch on it and s_hit down on the clothes line below.Wife drove me around the bend over it.

zenno wrote: »
    You think you have it bad. From 5:30am every morning all i hear right beside my bedroom window is ku ku ku ku ku ku ku ku ku ku kuu for hours, driving me mad.

as far as i know - and if am wrong you can guarantee someone will point it out - it is open season on pigeons

RealExpert wrote: »
    Exactly.Even if they are just eggs in a nest or chicks strongly encourage them to leave otherwise they will be back nesting again next year and so on.
    Remember you have to be cruel to be kind.
    These are really dirty f_ckers I had an antenna over the house a number of years ago and they used to perch on it and s_hit down on the clothes line below.Wife drove me around the bend over it.

WD40 - stops squeaks!!!!
    http://www.team.ie/images/WD-40-Can-200ml.jpg

You should spray it on yourself so...:pac:

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    You should spray it on yourself so...:pac:

ouch. that hurts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I dont think there is any way of moving them on without killing them.. why dont you email Derek Mooney about it... They talk about all the wildlife stuff on a Friday afternoon.. One of the know-it-alls on their Friday panel will surely be able to suggest something..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What if your neighbours cat got into your attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

It was the s_hit on the clothes line that was the problem not squeaks!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

I saw this on facebook today and thought of this thread, sorry it doesn't help but might make you laugh?

254860.jpg

3dsteel wrote: »
    I saw this on facebook today and thought of this thread, sorry it doesn't help but might make you laugh?

254860.jpg

Sweet.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

I have the same issue with starlings so I can sympathise. The $hite all over the driveway and car is bad enough but the racket they make would drive anyone mad. I have tried a few things including expandable foam in problem areas but they just ripped it to shreds and made a bigger mess. I have paid to have the nests (professionally) removed but none of it made any difference, they just keep coming back. Now I am considering investing in one of these devices which are more commonly used for farming etc but after speaking to them, I have been assured it will solve my problem.

Time will tell I guess.

Let me know if you find another solution.

Advertisement