Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round steel bar

Options
  • 01-06-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm living in rented accomodation and was hoping to put in a chin-up bar. Unfortunately the door frames are unsuitable for a self supporting one that you can buy. So I'm making one using wood against a steel gate which I can temporarily fit and then remove when we leave. The gap between the gate posts is wide enough (1.42 metres) so I'm trying to get something which will support my weight without bending.

I'm looking for a steel bar (hollow or solid) which is about that length which I can use. I tried B&Q which had nothing really. Also tried a Hardware place in ballymount which suggested Heiton Steel. Went to them and they said they only sell them in 25ft lengths at about €30 a pop. So does anyone know where I could possibly get something suitable without breaking the bank. I was thinking a gate fitters as my next option. Im living in Tallaght btw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jiggerypokery

Any engineering workshop will have lots of odds & ends lying around. A bit of steel tubing is what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Try the plumbing forums OP, someone might have a bit of GB pipe lying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Thanks guys. I ended up getting something in Woodies which im going to re-enforce with an insert. If it doesn't work, Ill go with suggestions above

Advertisement