Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

drums;what shud i buy?

Options
  • 07-12-2004 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi been thinkn of taking up drums. have no ideas on what to buy, noise would be a big problem any way of getting around this? what prices am i looking at? are lessons worth the money?and would i be best of getting them first so if i find out i really have no musical ability i wouldnt be wastn my money on a kit. ne sugestions. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ferdi_

one of those traveller kits with dampened skins...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Unfortunately, lessons alone would be pretty futile. Learning drums is as much about practice as instruction. You can get practice heads to keep the noise down. Your best bet for a halfway decent kit is getting something in the buy and sell. Learning on something that isn't representative of a real drumkit will be a waste of your time. Anything by Pearl or Yamaha that you can afford would be a good choice. I would recommend starting with a fairly universal setup - preferably five piece (kick, snare, 3 toms), with hi-hats, one or two crash cymbals and a ride cymbal. After you've been playing a while you can add or subtract toms, cymbals etc. Cymbals-wise, a set of Sabian B8's or something by Paiste are great for starting. You may get drums and cymbals together, or you may have to buy separately.

If you start lessons, your drum teacher might be able to help you select a kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Yeah, I agree with the last post. I got an Sx kit fairly cheaply when i was starting off - Not sure how much they are now - and went from there. And there are other good beginner kits out there. The websites already mentioned are good, or try musicmaker and maybe waltons (If you're near the city).
    If you're not going to get lessons try getting stuff off the internet. Mxtabs.net has a good few beginner beats and i'm sure there are plenty of other sites.
    And as said before, putting dampeners on the heads really reduces the volume. You can get brushes too.

''would i be best of getting them first so if i find out i really have no musical ability i wouldnt be wastn my money on a kit''

Try playing drums somewhere first maybe.

Advertisement