Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oz before or after xmas

Options
  • 24-10-2014 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hey people i have my years viza sorted, just about get in as im nearly 31..
    Trying to figure out would it be better going before xmas or after it .. really not sure what to do.
    Im a pipefitter by trade and plenty of construction experience,And will do any work for money :)... Still deciding which city to head to first.
    I have no work lined up as of yet will settle in a hostel till i get up and running.
    Any info of you guys would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

just about get in as im nearly 31..
    Whats the cut-off?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the cut-off?

il be 31 in febuary

Yeah but how old can you be and still do a year in Oz? I'm nearly 30 myself and still havent done it, always putting it off...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I'd say you'd be better off coming after Christmas. Everyone tends to feck off for the Christmas and summer holidays making it more difficult to land a job

Yeah but how old can you be and still do a year in Oz? I'm nearly 30 myself and still havent done it, always putting it off...

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx

Age requirements on the right of the page

• Advertisement

Hmmm, better get my ass in gear, are there any options for after you're 31? Sorry for thread hijack...

Hmmm, better get my ass in gear, are there any options for after you're 31? Sorry for thread hijack...

There are heaps and heaps of visas available, all with different eligibility criteria. Check out the visa wizard (link below). If your keen you could talk to a migration agent. There are few in Ireland.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Live/Pages/Live.aspx

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Hey people i have my years viza sorted, just about get in as im nearly 31..
    Trying to figure out would it be better going before xmas or after it .. really not sure what to do.
    Im a pipefitter by trade and plenty of construction experience,And will do any work for money :)... Still deciding which city to head to first.
    I have no work lined up as of yet will settle in a hostel till i get up and running.
    Any info of you guys would be great

Probably better off waiting til after xmas because most companies take a week or 2 off for xmas which you won't get paid for. In saying that before and after xmas are the worst possible times to be looking for a job in construction so make sure you bring enough money to survive for at least a month or 2 and don't underestimate how expensive Australia is when you're not working. I don't mean to put you off..but you need to realise that Australia isn't the land of milk and honey that some people coming over think it is.

Advertisement