Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with this sentence:

Options
  • 18-05-2010 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭

I know it's only a word out of place, but it caught my eye. From an article in today's Indo about the famine memorial:
    As the minds of all present inevitably travelled back the 170 years or so to the darkest days of the country's history, perhaps the mood was best captured in a prayer read by Seamus O'Connell of the Humanist Association.

"As we remember the greatest calamity ever to befall this country, we may ponder on the mismanagement and neglect, as much as on the failure of the potato crop."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/british-fail-to-attend-famine-ceremony-2182551.html

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

phutyle wrote: »
    I know it's only a word out of place
    A prayer read by a humanist? Hmm..

As for the quotation, I haven't had my first cup of tea yet, so I reserve the right to be completely wrong, but I'd have said he was only short a clarifying comma.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd imagine that's just a case of careless journalism.

How did a Humanist representative manage to get that gig? Normally the church would be all over that kind of thing.

Although, I suppose God was busy while 1.6 million of his flock starved to death. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I give up? Whats wrong with it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Is it "prayer"? If it is, do I get a smiley face on my homework?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Is it using the word "on" after "ponder"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dades wrote: »

Possibly, but I think it might be a wider issue with some people (like the journalist in question) not being able to get their head around the idea that you can commemorate (or indeed celebrate) without religion. The words spoken by Seamus O'Connell were apt and poignant - the article even commends them for capturing the mood of the event - but the journalist couldn't get past the idea that such a comment must be a prayer - or at the very least, couldn't find another word to more accurately describe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

What's wrong with this sentence:

It ends with a colon instead of a question mark.

Oh, wait...

:p

Yes, it does seem odd to report that the head of the humanist association is reading a prayer. From what you've posted there, it doesn't read like a prayer either.

They forgot to put an "E" on the end of potato!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Funkfield wrote: »
    They forgot to put an "E" on the end of potato!
    Ah, that's what I like about A+A -- some nice snappy 20-year old satire :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

""As the minds of all present inevitably travelled back the 170 years or so ""

To do so, they would have to have been present initially.
    But there are schools of thought that think so.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Ah, that's what I like about A+A -- some nice snappy 20-year old satire :)

I'm slow to get moving, but when I do.....ZING!

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Dades wrote: »

Its the Indo, they're masters of careless journalism

Advertisement