Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance/temporary switchover

Options
  • 12-09-2014 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi.my current car is out for repairs at the moment. my brother has loaned me his car for the night.so today I rang my insurance company looking for a temporary crossover just for 1 night.
    Unfortunately I was told that my brothers car is to high of risk for such a switchover. I was just wondering is there any legal grounds I have here as its my policy Its paid for I currently don't have any other car to use other than my brothers.
    All advice welcome thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

No insurer is obliged to grant a temporary transfer to ANY vehicle, but it has become a regular courtesy facility granted for such things like when your vehicle is being serviced. However, if the vehicle, or length of time required do not suit the insurer, they will refuse it, as has happened to you.

Get yourself named on your brothers policy and drive away

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

johnogog88 wrote: »
    Hi.my current car is out for repairs at the moment. my brother has loaned me his car for the night.so today I rang my insurance company looking for a temporary crossover just for 1 night.
    Unfortunately I was told that my brothers car is to high of risk for such a switchover. I was just wondering is there any legal grounds I have here as its my policy Its paid for I currently don't have any other car to use other than my brothers.
    All advice welcome thanks.

It is your policy, and you've paid for it...for your car. Unless you have cover which specifically allows you such a drive other cars benefit, then you have no recourse. And even then, there may be restrictions (re: engine size etc)

Advertisement