Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone LTE advanced

Options
  • 04-10-2015 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Just got my iPhone 6S from the uk and popped my Vodafone 4G sim into it to see if the benefits of LTE advanced were apparent.

I'm getting around 75 down and 35 up just outside cork city which is fairly impressive but I'm limited by a 5GB download cap which limits what I can actually do with such speeds.

Meteor do a 15GB download limit for 31 euro a month.

Anyone know if meteor intends on launching LTE advanced any time soon ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Cork981 wrote: »
    Just got my iPhone 6S from the uk and popped my Vodafone 4G sim into it to see if the benefits of LTE advanced were apparent.

I'm getting around 75 down and 35 up just outside cork city which is fairly impressive but I'm limited by a 5GB download cap which limits what I can actually do with such speeds.

Meteor do a 15GB download limit for 31 euro a month.

Anyone know if meteor intends on launching LTE advanced any time soon ?

I don't think so they haven't announced any plans for LTE advanced.

Vodafone seem to be far ahead of the other two when it comes to LTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Peak I've seen on 3 was 60_30Mb, but thats pretty decent all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Vodafone's marketing line should be "Do less but do it faster than all other networks"

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

ED E wrote: »
    Peak I've seen on 3 was 60_30Mb, but thats pretty decent all the same.

Ya the speeds decent but the caps are fairly small.

I just checked and noticed a have a 6GB allowance as opposed to the 5GB that I got when I signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Ya the speeds decent but the caps are fairly small.

I just checked and noticed a have a 6GB allowance as opposed to the 5GB that I got when I signed up.

Any chance you are on one of the extra plans? They come with an extra gb of data for Spotify or sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

guil wrote: »
    Any chance you are on one of the extra plans? They come with an extra gb of data for Spotify or sky.

Your dead right. I have Spotify for €5 completely forgot it came with an extra gb.

Strangely I do like the low caps it prevent congestion on the network like three are seeing.
    I know a few people that use there three 4G connection to stream Netflix which must be a serious drain on the network.

Though I do think they could give a little bit more without a noticeable impact on performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your dead right. I have Spotify for €5 completely forgot it came with an extra gb.

Strangely I do like the low caps it prevent congestion on the network like three are seeing.
    I know a few people that use there three 4G connection to stream Netflix which must be a serious drain on the network.

Though I do think they could give a little bit more without a noticeable impact on performance.

Thats exactly it:
    Three: Unlimited(truly) for €15/mo - often quite slow
    Voda: 6GB for €50/mo - Always on the ball

Thats the trade off, and why large organizations like govt departments and quangos use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Good(ish) news! - Vodafone reps are saying that there is now a 50Gb for €50 plan available in store and to follow online.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057513193

Advertisement