Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiger Dublin Fringe Festival

• 12-09-2015 1:18pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Normally I see lots of shows at the fringe bit I'm taking it at a slower pace this year. I've seen Remember to Breathe in Smock Alley Boy's School and Grounded in Project Arts Centre.

Remember to Breathe is well acted and a familiar but well told story of emigration and the guilt of leaving family behind. I enjoyed it but was not overwhelmed in any way.

Grounded I really enjoyed last night. A one woman story about a US Air Force pilot, the staging, light and set design were all great and the actor (Ciara Dunne) was fantastic. I'd definitely recommend seeing this thought it ends tonight I think.

Has anyone got anything else to recommend? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Behind the dark in Phoenix park. a short show, no words just stunning and haunting vignettes using aerial art, trapeze and contorion so so effective, really cool show highly recommend particularly for fans of horror.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Saw "Middle of the Road" in the Spiegeltent last night - the Spiegeltent is such a cool venue :D

The show was billed as this:
    Fresh from a sell-out run at Soho Theatre, two of the UK’s most provocative and irreverent acts join forces for a celebration of everything that makes life on earth really, really boring. After wasting years of their lives battling the system, Bourgeois & Maurice and David Hoyle are turning their backs on all that weirdo queer **** and toeing the party line. Life is better when we’re all the same. This first full-length collaboration between Hoyle and Bourgeois & Maurice mixes some of the blandest pop music ever written with original songs, Powerpoint presentations and expertly unresearched panel discussions. A feel-nothing spectacular, Middle of the Road is everything you ever wanted to happen to a Katie Melua song. And more. A normal show. For normal people.

To be honest, I didn't find them very funny at all. I had never seen or heard of them but my friend had got us two tickets so we went. Everyone around is seemed to find it hilarious but not us. I think it was trying to be a bit more clever than it actually was...the idea behind the show was great but the execution not so great. I felt like I was missing something when the people behind us were doubled up laughing at some things and we were barely cracking a grin. It's not that I didn't get the jokes or what was funny about the act - I did - it just wasn't all that funny IMO.

They were on for one night only so no recommendation to give one way or the other :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Went to see Windstealers yesterday night and it was very enjoyable. Great performances all around and a laugh out loud satirical story. The style of performance felt like an improv show with narration, invisible props, and actors switching between multiple characters. The venue was small so I hope they add more chairs since it was sold out.

Grounded as excellent as well. I wonder why it had a short run that already ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Grounded was excellent! And I have my tickets to see David O'Doherty :) I hope to fit in one or two more shows, so would be keen to hear any recommendations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Went to see 'skiddly wup' last night; foil arms and hog in Smock Alley. I hadn't heard of them before, but they are 3 Irish comedians who do skits including audience participation. It was very funny and I would recommend it if anybody wants a bit of comedy that's different from the norm! Just don't sit up the front :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement