Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone PAYG Data Add on: does it work in a phone?

Options
  • 10-09-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if a Vodafone PAYG mobile broadband data add-on (20 eur for 7.5GB, 30 days) works in a phone? Do they know whether it’s a dongle or phone being used? Or will they check call logs and block access?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

They can't stop you from using it at all you just have to set the right APN for using it which is hs.vodafone.ie this is easy to do on android on iOS it can be a slight bit more complicated but I have a way of doing it if you do need help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

jay93 wrote: »
    They can't stop you from using it at all you just have to set the right APN for using it which is hs.vodafone.ie this is easy to do on android on iOS it can be a slight bit more complicated but I have a way of doing it if you do need help with that.

In general is that the only difference (the APN) between “data” sims and phone sims (for any provider)? If you put a dongle or tablet sim in a phone, can you make calls?

Looking at Tesco’s site their mobile broadband APN is different to the mobile internet APN, is the speed different? The data rate is the same for phone sim (10e for 5GB) and data sim (15e for 7.5GB) but will the data sim apn give higher speed?

3 have same APN for broadband and mobile internet, should the speed be the same regardless of device?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    In general is that the only difference (the APN) between “data” sims and phone sims (for any provider)? If you put a dongle or tablet sim in a phone, can you make calls?

Looking at Tesco’s site their mobile broadband APN is different to the mobile internet APN, is the speed different? The data rate is the same for phone sim (10e for 5GB) and data sim (15e for 7.5GB) but will the data sim apn give higher speed?

3 have same APN for broadband and mobile internet, should the speed be the same regardless of device?

Yeah that would be the only difference between certain providers SIM cards is the APN for data and voice sims, on 3 you can use the same APN for broadband and voice SIM cards that's correct.

The speed will be the same on either SIM card rather it's a voice or data SIM on all networks. Meteor and Vodafone have the most decent speeds around Ireland I have found anyway in my testing of all the providers. The only downside to the data SIMS is that calls won't work from them only SMS and data as far as I can remember this hasn't changed.

The only downside to the data SIMS is that calls won't work from them only SMS and data as far as I can remember this hasn't changed.

So are SIM permissions determined by which bundle is subscribed to in the providers portal (myvodafone etc) and the APN setting?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    So are SIM permissions determined by which bundle is subscribed to in the providers portal (myvodafone etc) and the APN setting?

I don't think the APN setting will have an effect on the ability to make a call by default the data SIM will have calling disabled they usually only allow data and SMS from them. It's possible this may have changed since I last used one.

Once you have a Vodafone SIM (regular phone SIM) It should still allow you to buy mobile broadband add ons on your phone and use them. You can do that on myvodafone.

• Advertisement

It still allows me to select a mobile broadband add on from my phones myvodafone account you would just need the hs.vodafone.ie APN set on your phone to make sure it will take the Internet from the mobile broadband allowance. Attached image of a screenshot from my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

On a related topic

How do I permanently change my APN setting from live.Vodafone.ie to hs.Vodafone.ie?

I go hammered for data tethering and I presume this will fix?
    It still allows me to select a mobile broadband add on from my phones myvodafone account you would just need the hs.vodafone.ie APN set on your phone to make sure it will take the Internet from the mobile broadband allowance. Attached image of a screenshot from my phone.

funnyname wrote: »
    On a related topic

How do I permanently change my APN setting from live.Vodafone.ie to hs.Vodafone.ie?
    You’ll find it in the APN settings, you should see the current setting, just over type “live” with “hs” and save. If it’s an iphone, check post #2 above.
    funnyname wrote: »
    I go hammered for data tethering and I presume this will fix?

Google “vodafone tethering penalty” and read the top 2 results, it might give you some idea on whether that fixes your extra tethering charges or not. My understanding of it is that the hs.vodafone.ie APN is only for mobile broadband (dongle or the data add-on mentioned in first post) and that any other data plan must use the live.vodafone.ie APN. If there’s no data plan then they charge €1.99 per day for 100MB.

Advertisement