Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Designing" for web/screens without a grid

Options
  • 14-07-2014 5:36pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As I start to do more and more agency work (where agencies have outsourced code/development work to me/the company I work for), one trend I've noticed over the past few years is how a great many designers (that I've worked with) don't use grids.

I'm not talking small print shops here. I'm talkbout about large Dublin digital/ad agencies and large international agencies.

I'd say about 90% of the mockups/PSD's I'm given to develop have no grid, typographic or modular scale in place. Which makes me feel like:

fbsmsh.gif

Has anyone else found this is the norm when working with agencies?

One could speculate it's because some designers are coming from a print background, and haven't up-skilled in order to design for screens.

Do you design without a grid? - If so what's your rationale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps it is because some "designers" are more suited to working with crayons rather than with screen designs. A print background would generally mean that the designer would at least have a working knowledge of grids and fonts.

I generally use grids though. Sometimes the BBC one and often ones dictated by the screen sizes of the website users.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I recently was working on a live site, 80% complete in terms of development, content fonts and look and feel (skeleton base theme with lots of backend crazyness going on) - entire site was CSS based with the exception of the logo and a few images and we wanted a few more images and color changes to make it all "pop"

Had a "designer" that refused to do the work necessary to bring it live e.g. new slider images / buttons / search boxes etc.. because there was no original PSD to work from and he could not understand how the site would be running to the stage it was already at without having a PSD to work from :-o

Lazy git.

Advertisement