Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

anyone have experience with replacing double din radio in corolla with single din?

Options
  • 16-12-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

hi all, i removed the double din radio in my 2004 corolla 1.8 sport and was attempting to put a single din radio in there. i bought a facia on ebay to fill in the gaps like this one here.

mKwHNZo0mdb0I1TQFK7gWGw.jpg
    now when i took the old radio out i removed the 2 brackets that were on it and put them on the single din radio. i cant get the facia to work with it though. the 2 screw holes there in the image are getting in the way of the brackets. i am wondering does anyone know is this the right setup or do i need different brackets for it to work.

as it is now i opted to put the radio in without the facia so it looks like crap now but works perfectly;) i was gonna shave off the outcropping bits there and try squeeze it in around but wanted to ask first before i waste it. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

you don't need to use the brackets off the old stereo, you just need a stereo cage. just mount the new fasia and then fit the cage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i have the cage but its real loose when i put the fascia around it, like it would be bouncing around, how does the cage secure to the dash?

you slot the cage down into the new facia panel where it should be a snug, not too forceful fit. when its in place you then fold out the most suitable tabs on it with a flat head screwdriver or similar to fix it firmly in place.

you see in this image how some of the tabs on the cage are pushed through.

amyzephyrs-com_web_images_radio_cage-jpg.5991

once the cage is in you just slot the stereo into it and hey presto.

edit : so in a step by step.

1, unplug and remove old head unit
    2, fit new fascia adapter
    3, slot stereo cage into fascia adapter and fold tabs to hold it firm
    4, connect new stereo cables and slot stereo into cage
    5, enjoy.

if this isn't happening for you quite easily, i'd assume you have some wrong/ mismatched parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

I switched oem to aftermarket in my old corolla (2004). Had no issues although the facia was different to the one shown above.

The original corolla stereo is actually din and a half so a double din wont fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty sure they are double din, the corolla sol had a double din satnav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

yeah toyotafanboi the dash doesnt look like that at all. ill post a pic when i get a chance but there is over a cm gap all round. i think it is a double din because the facia does fit but just doesnt secure! i filed off the 2 eyelets there and shoved it in but it doesnt fit round the radio now.

there are other facias on ebay with a loade of brackets and stuff included so i was thinking of getting one of them but for the money i might just bring it to a professional. i've fitted a few head units over the years and never any trouble but this has me stumped.

post pictures up of the items you have and your dashboard and we should be able to advise further!

Advertisement