Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessibility - how far?

Options
  • 20-10-2006 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all,

I am redeveloping a website for a town in Ireland to create an online community as such. I would like it to be as accessible as is reasonably possible/expected to everyone.

How far should one go when it comes to accessibility?
    It validates as valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional at the moment, is that enough?
    Should I have "Skip to Navigation"?
    Should I setup up Access keys?
    Should I have a text only version? and should a text only version contain no images at all?
    Should I have a text only high-contrast version?
    Should I have buttons to increase and decrease font size?
    Or is there anything else I should have?

Is there a checklist of what makes a site fully accessible?

Thanks for any help/advice,
    Noel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

axer wrote:
    How far should one go when it comes to accessibility?

As far as possible but balancing commercial viability and accessibility requires you to be well versed in both business and front-end web coding. The better you are at each, the more you can get from both. If you get me?
    axer wrote:
    It validates as valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional at the moment, is that enough?

No. You need to learn how people, able bodied and those with differing abilities, are going to use your website. A site with slightly off-black text and a black background will validate perfectly but will be completely unreadable to anyone; unless they're using a screen-reader. Likewise, if you write all your page content out using JavaScript the site will be perfectly accessible to people with good sight but incomprehensible to screen readers. These are two simplistic examples though. If you're serious about accessibility, there's a lot to learn. So boil a pot of coffee, fire up your favourite browser and get Googling.
    axer wrote:
    Should I have "Skip to Navigation"?

Yeah, never hurts. However, don't say 'skip navigation' - a lot of people don't know what navigation is (seriously). I usually use something like this:
    <div class="hidden"><a href="#contentwrapper">Skip to main page content</a></div>

axer wrote:
    Should I setup up Access keys?

For links that are always on the page (main nav, footer navigation, etc) then yes. It's a good idea.
    axer wrote:
    Should I have a text only version?

If you code your website properly using XHTML and CSS, you keep your markup semantic, understandable and accessible then there's no need to create a text-only version.
    axer wrote:
    Should I have a text only high-contrast version?

See above.
    axer wrote:
    Should I have buttons to increase and decrease font size?

See above. No need to do this. Just make sure you measure font sizes in em's rather than hard-setting them to pixels so that your user can increase font sizes via their browser settings if they need to.
    axer wrote:
    Is there a checklist of what makes a site fully accessible?

Your best guide is WCAG 1.0. guidelines. Ignore the newer 2.0 guidelines as they're utter nonsense. Have a looks at The Web Standards Project and Accessify too. And remember, Google is your friend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

Very nice response Laslo and some very good info in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks a million Laslo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gamblingIRE

You should consider adding an Accessibilty Statement to each page, documenting what accessibility features your web-site has, and how to use them (as well as how to activate accessibility features in the most common browsers)

[p.s. don't look for one on the site in my .sig , I am currently way too busy to get this done at the mo, but it is on the to-do list as I do deem it essential]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

could also do css for handheld or aural devices and for Braille readers
    Eg something like
    http://www.coillte.ie/css/coillte2-aural.css
    for aural.
    I had stuck a Braille css on there originally a 2/3 years ago when they were a vvvv rare thing. However, it seems to have disappeared from the site along with a few other nice touches and some conformance. Will grab the backup next time I'm back at the parents'. Coillte site also has cookies for sizing, check the accessibility page.

• Advertisement

cookies? I think you want to do this without cookies - perhaps using the post method to tell your pages what size to render stuff?

I have been meaning to read up on this as it is something I want to implement on the sites I develop in future, as well as my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

cookies? I think you want to do this without cookies - perhaps using the post method to tell your pages what size to render stuff?
    Hmm, (how) would that work from session to session? On a short career switch (again) so am a bit rusty on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Personally I think it's time we moved away from WCAG 1.0.

I know WCAG 2.0 is still in development, but it seems to be taking an age.

WCAG 2.0 is much more generic and less HTML coder directed, which is a good thing as it makes web developers think about the reasons why they are making the changes to the code as opposed to doing it because WCAG 1.0 says so.......... sorry for the rant!

Really good post Laslo - I personally like this response:

=========================
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axer
    Should I have a text only version?

If you code your website properly using XHTML and CSS, you keep your markup semantic, understandable and accessible then there's no need to create a text-only version.
    =========================

I can't agree more. It's not fair to expect people with disabilities to go to the "back door" so to speak just to get access to your website.

If you were a high street shop and sending people with disabilities to the back door, you'd be breaking the law!!

tomED wrote:
    It's not fair to expect people with disabilities to go to the "back door" so to speak just to get access to your website.
    agreed... accessibility is about EQUIVALENT access.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Interesting BBC article here claiming that Flash may be the best way for accessibility issues, which surprised me as I would have considered it the worst!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/6090418.stm

Choice quote on CSS there by the way:
    "There's a technology called Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) that allows you to control the way a page is displayed, such as the colour of the text and background.

"However, that's quite a new technology, it's only been around a couple of years"
    Yeah, wasn't that just two years ago that css was created?!

Incidentally gamblingIRE, the links in your sig don't work.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote:
    Hmm, (how) would that work from session to session? On a short career switch (again) so am a bit rusty on this.
    URL rewriting, including a session ID would work
    Gordon wrote:
    Incidentally gamblingIRE, the links in your sig don't work.

My webserver was probably down- I am running an o/source forum on one of my domains which consumes all my heap space every few hours and kills tomcat. Very annoying - time to change forum software I think - Pain in the backside :-s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yes, this is an old thread but I figured this might be of interest to people working with standards in mind.

Government Guidelines for Web Sites Search Engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

great info indeed. I myself have a project coming up which will be required to be fully accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Have a look at our blog re: accessibility

We try to take a balanced view on standards vs/and creativity

www.accessible.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

The National Council For The Blind have a website & service which test accessibility. The info is free on their site, but they also do proper commercial accessibility testing with real people which you can pay for if you have the budget.

http://www.cfit.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hosting

:cool:Google is blind, it’s a computer, it has no hands and it can walk. YET, it can see my web sites, isn’t that amazing.

That is the way to start thinking when developing an assessable web site.

Step 1 - Pretend you are blind; Have someone read the code in the site to you, which should tell a story in itself.

Step 2 - Pretend you can’t type and try navigating using only a mouse.

Step 3. Disconnect the mouse, and then try navigating.

Step 4 - Put everything in Chinese writing, then would the layout be self explanatory or would it loose meaning without the text. In other words let the pictures and graphics lead users.

Step 5 - Try reading it from a distance, stepping back from the screen and taking a look, are the headings still visible?

Step 6 - Is there a play the text button available, is it alt tabbed well and at the top of the site?
    There are more things to do but that should start you doing rather than thinking too much. Look at the practical as must as possible.
    TEST and RE-TEST

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Skip Navigation links should be visible by the way (or else visible on focus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davespartix

I use Wave toolbar for firefox to give a an impression of how accessible a site is. I find it pretty useful. It shows accessibility warnings and alerts as well as show you a text only version.

Advertisement