Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying - footwear restriction? (Ski boots)

Options
  • 19-03-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Just the other day I began to wonder...

...what if I wore my ski boots onto the plane to save on baggage allowance? :pac: Would I even get past security? lol

It is what it's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You would.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I do all the time. Wear all my heavy clothes on the plane. They will ask you to take the boots off at security though I'd say and put them through the x-ray machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

you might have problems if you wear your balaclava/turban OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say there's to much metal and opportunity to turn them into a weapon to be let carry onto a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

What about ice skates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd say there's to much metal and opportunity to turn them into a weapon to be let carry onto a plane.

I assume, and I could be wrong, the OP meant snow boots. The soft padded snow proof boots for walking aroung in the snow. Actual Ski boots for locking into the bindings on the ski's are hard and bent forward, she'd be walking around like a crazy person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Only back from skiing and I carried my woman's boots in my carry on with no problems, so I dont see the difference in wearing them.

p.s you will look like a big feckin loser though if you wear them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

NothingMan wrote: »
    I assume, and I could be wrong, the OP meant snow boots. The soft padded snow proof boots for walking aroung in the snow. Actual Ski boots for locking into the bindings on the ski's are hard and bent forward, she'd be walking around like a crazy person.

As much as it may sound like a crazy woman's idea, I'm a he, lol :-p
    Only back from skiing and I carried my woman's boots in my carry on with no problems, so I dont see the difference in wearing them.

p.s you will look like a big feckin loser though if you wear them

Haha, I was wondering how long it'd take, I was thinking about the oddness of seeing someone walking through an airport in heavy clunky ski boots!

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i wore a huge pair of big poofy snow boots home from chicago so they wouldnt take up a huge space in my suitcase. it was fine, obv had to take them off and scanned. but one of the security cops did give me a hard time asking why i'd worn them etc. pfft. US security/immigration peeps are hardasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I wore my snowboard boots on a plane coming home last year just to stick two fingers up at Ryanair who were trying to charge me extra at the time. The attendent standing there with her Visa machine in hand got some shock when I swapped my runners for the boots and duly proceeded to put them on in front of her and the queue :D

35 euro saved, not too shabby;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've seen people do it on Ryanair flight to Salzburg and I mean actualy ski boots that you clip in to skis, not snow boots. They look ridiculous but are saving a few bob I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I took a wrong slope once years ago and had to walk back along the road for about two miles in the ski boots (carrying my skis).

The agony was excruciating. I wouldn't wear ski boots for walking through an airport if you paid me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I hope the op meant apres-ski boots...otherwise that would be seriously uncomfortable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

We could have another deep vein thrombosis on our hands

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've changed from runners into bike boots before to reduce the size of my carry on bag.
    Seen someone wearing a tactical vest with rolls of socks and everything in the magazine pockets, he probably had half as much stuff again in his pockets as in his carry on. They didn't do anything to stop him.

Advertisement