Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primastar/traffic VRT Guesstimate..

Options
  • 01-05-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am currently in the market to buy a high roof primastar/traffic to convert to a day van/surf van.

I am just trying to get a rough guid on what the open market selling price for one of these vans may be and the potential vrt that may be payable.

Has any one converted one recently that could give me an idea of what they have paid. the van will be kitted out with the required but to a very basic standard.

any help would be great.

Thanks,

Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi The Pete Fella,
    The Vrt would depend on the age of the van in question and the quality of the conversion. Also , make an estimate of what you think its worth , add 30 to 40% to that and thats probably what the revenue will value your conversion at.
    Then 13.5 % of that price is what you will be charged. They are almost impossible to deal with and will give you no idea how they came up with their price. Also the only people you get to speak with are actually offfice staff from the NCT service and not the VRT staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

If you are only doing a surf van you might just leave it as a van. Even vrt of €1500 will take 5 years to get back on cheaper tax.

A trafic can bought anywhere from €2k to €20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I could be wrong, but there may not be any VRT due if you re-classify a private vehicle instead of a commercial (i.e minibus instead of a van). I converted a Private 98 Caravelle (MPV on logbook) and no VRT was due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

650Ginge wrote: »
    If you are only doing a surf van you might just leave it as a van. Even vrt of €1500 will take 5 years to get back on cheaper tax.

Its illegal to use a commercial taxed vehicle privately it has to be taxed privately. The guards and customs have basically ignored this for years but have been cracking down on it since 2010 the vehicle could be seized. Which is probably fine if it only cost €2k but I wouldn't be risking it with a €20k van.
    stevire wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but there may not be any VRT due if you re-classify a private vehicle instead of a commercial (i.e minibus instead of a van). I converted a Private 98 Caravelle (MPV on logbook) and no VRT was due.

I think for a surf van that makes the most sense caravelle is super easy to get parts and accessories for too just watch head gasket in the 2.4

Advertisement