Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally not what I was expecting

Options
  • 06-11-2015 11:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭

Today my other half bit into what he thought was a lolly it turned out to be chocolate marzipan covered in icing on a stick.

So ....what have you bitten into that was totally not what you were expecting?

Pics of random food weirdness encouraged.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

Fussball_Cake_Pops_Gruppenbild.jpg

It was like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cool! Where'd you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rojito

Bit into a portion of "mexican" pizza I bought off a street vendor in South America, it had a jam-stuffed crust. Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

When I was pregnant we were on a trip somewhere in the car and stopped for a sandwich. I selected "a seeded brown bap" and had the lady fill it with a fab looking salad. Got back into the car, took a bite and it was poxy aniseed flavoured bread.

Being preggers and sensitive to both taste and circumstance I started to heave and knew I was about to vomit if I didn't get it out of my mouth. Bad idea in a moving car! I spat it into my hand and crying about the disgustingness of it went to throw it out the window. The window was up. It hit the window and slipped down like a horrid aniseedy coleslaw lump. While I sat beside it crying. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

Cool! Where'd you get them?
    It wasn't them ...but they look alike. Mr T got them in Laudrée Chez brown thomas. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 topcelt

Was in Hong Kong first stop after leaving to travel around Asia. Went into a bakery looking for something sweet and bought a lovely looking danish only to find it filled with fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Go for a tasty looking chicken goujon on a platter only to find its a horrible undercooked breaded mushroom, like biting into an eyeball.

Has happened too many times, usually with a few drinks in me so caught off guard. I am very wary now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

On a work night out and and found the curry really spicy so gulped some water to stop the burn but I had picked up my wine glass by mistake,now I love my wine but wasnt expecting it and nearly spat the whole lot out in shock.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Working in a hotel, years ago, cleaning rooms. Had picked up some waterbottles in rooms and had them sitting on my trolley to go into the recycling or some such. Took a drink out of 'my' water. Nope. Someone else's vodka. Really very unpleasant thing to happen at 10.00 on a Sunday morning.

And don't get me started on 'chocolate chip' baked goods that turn out to contain raisins when bitten into.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

When younger.... gobbling down some lovely iced cake, only to find out, to my horror, that a layer of marzipan lurks beneath!!

WWHHYYYY!??!?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

whiskeyman wrote: »
    When younger.... gobbling down some lovely iced cake, only to find out, to my horror, that a layer of marzipan lurks beneath!!

WWHHYYYY!??!?!!!

Because the cake was intended to be eaten either by Germans or possibly me.

I've had similar horrors when finding out a 'Christmas cake' was just fruit cake with white icing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

L1011 wrote: »

I've had similar horrors when finding out a 'Christmas cake' was just fruit cake with white icing.

:D

As a child, they looked like the most beautiful crafted sweet treat, probably given their often appearance in the Beano and Dandy comics as lovely cakes:

However, on biting down on the lovely icing, the vile cherry and almond combiation was a taste that made me retch!

Cherry_Bakewells.jpg

If only it was just lovely strawberry filing and no almond!
    Think I begged my Mum for one after seeing them on display.
    Oh how I regretting that decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Many years ago I was working in Düsseldorf & had a small apartment that I used really just use for sleeping. Eating was so cheap that I hardly ever bothered cooking for myself. My fridge was generally bare apart from a couple of beers & the occasional bottle of water. I did end up having a 2l bottle of half Coke/half vodka left over from a New Years Eve street party.

Fast forward a couple of months to March when I had my stag do over there. I let my penniless brother-in-law-to-be & his pal stay in my apartment while I stayed in a hotel around the corner with my best man & a few other mates.

After a rather savage 24 hours on the beer the two young lads woke up in tatters in the apartment. Upon checking the fridge for something to slake their thirst - the pal thinks he has struck gold in finding a bottle of coke & takes a massive swallow only to find that it is 3 months old, flat & half vodka. He didn't see that one coming.

To be fair, they did a great job on cleaning up what was a rather spectacular vomit that apparently covered the entire kitchen floor & the knock-on barf that my BIL had in the bathroom after smelling the first one.

That'll learn them! :)

Advertisement