Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RANT: Moronic ignorant drivers

• 28-01-2007 12:51am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

driving down from Limerick this evening.

At the Limerick end of the first batch of Buttevant curves (i.e. just after the turn off to Mitchelstown) I joined a convoy. Soon it became obvious it was due to a Silver Hiace towing an un-regged horsebox at 40km/h.

Got to Buttevant and Langer Dan out in front didn't bother his hole to pull in.

Into the next batch of Buttevant curves still at 40km/h. After the curves you have a decent hard shoulder on the way into New Twopothouse but once again Langer Dan couldn't be arsed,,,

Finally get to pass him at first roundabout in Mallow - an ould fella oblivious of everything - certainly didn't react to my horn nor did the guard across the road (at 17:50) doing a speed trap on poor feckers driving past Mallow fire station. Which probably means that he ignored the 2 mile tailback....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

parsi wrote:
    driving down from Limerick this evening.

At the Limerick end of the first batch of Buttevant curves (i.e. just after the turn off to Mitchelstown) I joined a convoy. Soon it became obvious it was due to a Silver Hiace towing an un-regged horsebox at 40km/h.

Got to Buttevant and Langer Dan out in front didn't bother his hole to pull in.

Into the next batch of Buttevant curves still at 40km/h. After the curves you have a decent hard shoulder on the way into New Twopothouse but once again Langer Dan couldn't be arsed,,,

Finally get to pass him at first roundabout in Mallow - an ould fella oblivious of everything - certainly didn't react to my horn nor did the guard across the road (at 17:50) doing a speed trap on poor feckers driving past Mallow fire station. Which probably means that he ignored the 2 mile tailback....
    Although he may have not shown adequate courtesy, driving at 40kph on non-motorways roads is not illegal.
    parsi wrote:
    Langer Dan out in front didn't bother his hole to pull in
    Really courteous!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Although he may have not shown adequate courtesy, driving at 40kph on non-motorways roads is not illegal.

There is an obligation to "make progress". There is also an obligation to display lights on trailers and number plates.
    Really courteous!

He surely was... BTW Langer Dan is a term of endearment in Cork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

parsi wrote:
    certainly didn't react to my horn
    It's in the rules of the road not to react to bullying and provocation.

Your use of the horn was illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Rules of the road or not, it is COMMON SENSE that if youre in a slow vehicle for whatever reason, you pull in to let everyone else pass. Its common curtosy and if I was in a tractor I would pull in often. Why others dont, I dont know. Selfish people abound.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Your use of the horn was illegal.

How so ? I was using it to make him aware of my presence when reasonably necessary on grounds of safety. I.e judging by the tailback he must never have used his rearview mirrors and appeared to be unaware that he was blocking traffic.

• Advertisement

if I was in a tractor I would pull in often. Why others dont, I dont know. Selfish people abound.
    There is a difference between being illegal and uncourteous. If I'm driving a slow vehicle, I pull over when I can but it's not always that simple. I've often driven large tractors and long heavy trailers/machinery on busy Dublin roads. Some roads have soft margins making it dangerous to drive near the edge. At other times, once you've pulled over, it's can be virtually impossible to get out again. No one wants a tractor in front of them. I show courtesy when I can but I find that very few car drivers do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭BrianD3

These convoys are everywhere. If you drive on any nat primary route you're almost certain to get stuck in one. Usually it's an old man with a flat cap or a middle aged woman welded to the steering wheel that's holding everyone up

What annoys me as much as the slow coach holding everyone up are the drivers near the head of the convoy who don't overtake but drive up each others arses restricting their own visibility and making it impossible for anyone further back to leapfrog ahead of them.

One of the most frustrating scenarios is when a truck gets stuck behind a slow moving car and the trucker finds it impossible to pass due to the poor acceleration and long length of his vehicle. Frustrating for the trucker and for everyone else backed up behind him.

The other day I saw the ultimate. Two lorries behind a tractor with a convoy behind them.

No hope of passing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

N22 between Killarney - Cork is always good fun. No decent overtaking opportunity for the 30+ miles between Ballyvourney and well past Macroom.

You do get to look at every little detail of Macroom though when you're stuck there while two lorries have a standoff on the bridge :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

For some strange reason drivers pulling horseboxes never pull in to let people pass. I've seen it happen too many times to mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

MLM wrote:
    For some strange reason drivers pulling horseboxes never pull in to let people pass. I've seen it happen too many times to mention.

We used to pull in, but tbh I find it too dangerous now. Cars refuse to let you back out again. You dont have the same accelaration or braking capacity to get you out of trouble. Horseboxes are difficult to brake/manoevre as it is and you've got to think about the animal in the back. From their point of view, the smoother the journey the better, which means avoiding potholes, uneven surfaces and sudden braking. I hate putting them under the stress of travelling as it is, so try and keep it as easy as possible for them.

Its a shame that fellow didnt pull in at some stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

fits wrote:
    We used to pull in, but tbh I find it too dangerous now. Cars refuse to let you back out again. You dont have the same accelaration or braking capacity to get you out of trouble. Horseboxes are difficult to brake/manoevre as it is and you've got to think about the animal in the back. From their point of view, the smoother the journey the better, which means avoiding potholes, uneven surfaces and sudden braking. I hate putting them under the stress of travelling as it is, so try and keep it as easy as possible for them.

Its a shame that fellow didnt pull in at some stage though.
    Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense.

BrianD3 wrote:
    the trucker finds it impossible to pass due to the poor acceleration and long length of his vehicle. Frustrating for the trucker and for everyone else backed up behind him.
    The 85kph fitted speed limiter would be a major factor. It makes passing another vehicle doing 80kph very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You do get to look at every little detail of Macroom though when you're stuck there while two lorries have a standoff on the bridge :)
    there is a way around Macroom that avoids that problem....heading for Cork, it's left at the bridge, then right follow your nose for a mile then right/left back on to main drag clear of Macroom....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

These convoys are everywhere.

Commonly called JCB funerals.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I ran into a bit of road rage the other day coming into Dublin near Heuston station. I was driving at 60kph in a 60 zone. Two cars behind me keept flashing thier lights looking for me to let them pass. The first one I let by because i though he was flashing because something was wrong with my car. Then he drove off at top speed. The car behind him then though he could do the same thing but I didnt let him by. I just said to myself sorry but I am doing 60 in a 60 zone. Your not getting by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

jjbrien wrote:
    I just said to myself sorry but I am doing 60 in a 60 zone. Your not getting by.

Very f*cking mature. Were you hoping for some special Boards.ie medal for telling us how you had a little temper tantrum in your car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

jjbrien wrote:
    I ran into a bit of road rage the other day coming into Dublin near Heuston station. I was driving at 60kph in a 60 zone. Two cars behind me keept flashing thier lights looking for me to let them pass. The first one I let by because i though he was flashing because something was wrong with my car. Then he drove off at top speed. The car behind him then though he could do the same thing but I didnt let him by. I just said to myself sorry but I am doing 60 in a 60 zone. Your not getting by.

Are you a member of the Gardai?? Cos if not then it's not your responsibility to ensure that other people are holding the speed limit. Could have been someone with a sick child in the car. Could have been anything. As it turns out, it just makes the other guy behind you more angry and irate, and puts the blame squarely on your shoulders. Both of you were wrong and in some gardai's eyes, you'd be more wrong.

by the way, I'm not a member of the force, but know quite a few who are, and we've discussed this very type of thing.

gatecrash wrote:
    Are you a member of the Gardai?? Cos if not then it's not your responsibility to ensure that other people are holding the speed limit. Could have been someone with a sick child in the car. Could have been anything. As it turns out, it just makes the other guy behind you more angry and irate, and puts the blame squarely on your shoulders. Both of you were wrong and in some gardai's eyes, you'd be more wrong.

by the way, I'm not a member of the force, but know quite a few who are, and we've discussed this very type of thing.
    You been quite immature. Number one there was no space to pull over if I tried to let him by then I would have hot the car driving to my left. Secondly if I had speed up to let him by there was a speed camera 100m up the road so we both would have got a nice fine and penalty points. Its very ovious that you dont have a clue about the rules of the road.

• Advertisement

jjbrien wrote:
    You been quite immature. Number one there was no space to pull over if I tried to let him by then I would have hot the car driving to my left. Secondly if I had speed up to let him by there was a speed camera 100m up the road so we both would have got a nice fine and penalty points. Its very ovious that you dont have a clue about the rules of the road.

Ring up the local Garda station if you're so convinced you're right.
    Ring up the A.A if you're so convinced you're right.
    read the name on the poster who called you immature.

Admit your wrong on all 3 counts.

Where is the speed camera 100mtrs up the road from Heuston btw? Unless it was the Gatso van in which case you could've pulled in and asked the nice gardai to remonstrate with the driver behind you.
    Oh that's right , you couldn't pull in...... you could allow one past, then in a fit of petulance, pulled out to stop the other from going by. So you pulled out in front of a car that was accelerating? might be a tad dangerous. I'm sure it says something about not pulling out in front of cars in the rules of the road handbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

jjbrien wrote:

And its fairly obvious that you can't spell. You have the cheek to call other people immature when you just told us about the little tantrum that you had behind the wheel of your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jjbrien wrote:
    Sorry mate, but you're clearly in ignorance of the rules yourself. You should only be driving in the right-hand lane if you are overtaking. The very fact that you say there was a vehicle in the left-hand lane which you would have hit means that you were breaking the law yourself by driving in the overtaking lane when not overtaking.

seamus wrote:
    Sorry mate, but you're clearly in ignorance of the rules yourself. You should only be driving in the right-hand lane if you are overtaking. The very fact that you say there was a vehicle in the left-hand lane which you would have hit means that you were breaking the law yourself by driving in the overtaking lane when not overtaking.

I was only in the right had lane because I was turing right at the lights. You cant go right in the left hand lane dummy.

So where were you? Islandbridge heading up towards Kilmainham? before Heuston? Or was it after heuston, across the river? Cos we all know where the Gatso hides on that stretch of road. On page 1 of the thread Hagar mentioned a JCB. Ask him can you borrow it to dig you way out of the hole you have jumped into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jjbrien wrote:
    I was only in the right had lane because I was turing right at the lights.
    Then why go on a big rant about how you were unable to move into the left-hand lane, and you were only doing the speed limit? Think about what you've said already before you start making excuses.

Advertisement