Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloc Party apologise for Oxegen "shambles"

• 23-07-2005 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Bloc Party posted an apology online for the mess that was their set at Oxegen. If you haven't already seen it, here it is:

Hi all

I just wanted to apologise to anyone who came to our Oxegen gig today and went away feeling a little short-changed by the shambolic, indeed destructive nature of the set. I'd certainly like to apologise to the organisers and stage technicians if I came over as arrogant and ****ty. I got very frustrated by the conditions onstage today and this led to me taking it out on our rented gear at the end of the set. All of us were frustrated today - band and crew - and I was the one who allowed it to spill out.

The quality of the gear we rented today was not particularly good and we were also having problems with feedback that apparently had been dogging the stage all day. The Ampeg amp I used was not a good amp (I'm an Ashdown man), and Matt had trouble with the kit too. While we struggled on with the show a bunch of chance problems like a broken guitar strap added to my frustration and I got increasingly wound up. It was frustrating not to be able to give as good a show as the amazing Irish crowd - one of our best - deserved. After 40 minutes of this, come the end of our set, I just gave up and flipped and Matt and I both set to on the drums - which were not our own.

Obviously we'll pay for the damage - it's what bands do - and we can all learn a lesson from it. Our sound and monitor guys both had trouble with equipment, as well as the band. I just feel for any of the audience who might have felt we were under par or giving a substandard performance. We're not in Ireland as much as we'd like and it's a pity that a show that so many people were looking forward - not least us - was spoiled by these annoyances. We tried to struggle through and kind of lost the battle. Smashing things up is a very therapeutic, if rather puerile, way of dealing with things, and not something I plan to make a habit of, certainly not when the equipment isn't my own.

That said, for those of you who went away from our gig having had a good time, as I hope some of you did, it was a pleasure to be here and we hope we'll back soon under less strained conditions. I hope we managed to entertain you in some small way at least.

Cheers.

Gordy.
    x

http://www.blocparty.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6680

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

so basically he was frustrated :p

too busy trying to do the rock and roll thing tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I thought that was going to be an apology for their referring to Ireland as being in the UK... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

roxy wrote:
    I thought that was going to be an apology for their referring to Ireland as being in the UK... :p

hah, me too.

The apology he gave isn't needed though, watching them trash the gear was quite entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

You know - notwithstanding their location gaff, at least they mentioned they were in punchestown and not dublin!

I'd see them again I reckon - after a listen to that remix album they brought out

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Cheers.

Gordy.
    x

Wow. Nice touch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭k_money

Yeah they should've apologized for acting the idiot in calling Ireland part of the Uk, didn't go down too well! Personally had a ball at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

You know - notwithstanding their location gaff, at least they mentioned they were in punchestown and not dublin!

I'd see them again I reckon - after a listen to that remix album they brought out

Darragh

Lol it was sickening how many bands said hello DUBLIN! Although in fairness the vast majority of the crowd were prob Dubliners. But still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I don't know about that! The only Dublin accents apart from our group I heard were from people I ran into that I knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

classy band, classy guy.

fair play fella!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭k_money

Welll I mean, punchestown's alot closer to Dublin than it is to Belfast or Mayo like! I think it's much more embarrassing to call Ireland part of the Uk, I mean their tour manager prob just said : You're in Dublin tonight. To call it the UK is just plain stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

The sound was terrible but I had a great time none the less. Seeing them trash the stage was quite cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

k_money wrote:
    Yeah they should've apologized for acting the idiot in calling Ireland part of the Uk, didn't go down too well!

they did in another thread and somewhere in that one...

Advertisement