Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Tbh i couldn't respond for a few minutes as i was busy fapping to her stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Reactivated my POF after about a week without it. It was one less site to procrastinate on, I missed creeping on it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Aquila wrote: »
    LoTwan wrote: »
    I would be happy with a straight guy who doesn't come across as being obsessed with sex and ask me for my vitals in the 2nd message. The next guy that does is getting "BP 65/105, Pulse 68 (at rest), pO2 100% on room air"
    "faps"oh yea you turning me on baby :pac:

I know, cake & my stats in one day. Am I not a fab catch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I know, cake & my stats in one day. Am I not a fab catch?
    sounds good to me;)

But you are one of those 20somethings that is covered under my cougar statement yesterday, right? LOL

• Advertisement

But you are one of those 20somethings that is covered under my cougar statement yesterday, right? LOL
    well at 29,i would make a fine cougar;)

The cougar statement was about me... You can't be a cougar, you're a guy (unless my interpretation of cougar is completely wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Oooh, the new POF layout is looking scarily like boards now....

The cougar statement was about me... You can't be a cougar, you're a guy (unless my interpretation of cougar is completely wrong)
    How are you a cougar:P
    I can be a Mountain lion so :P

I'm 37. Hitting on someone 12 years my junior would make me a cougar but I'm not cut out for it (and I know you are "only" 8 years my junior)

Mountain lions are cool :)

• Advertisement

I'm 37. Hitting on someone 12 years my junior would make me a cougar but I'm not cut out for it (and I know you are "only" 8 years my junior)

Mountain lions are cool :)
    :cool:

Meow (insert image of claw marks which I can't insert on my iPad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Oooh, the new POF layout is looking scarily like boards now....

Dear God, they must have found out about us! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Just home from my date, was a fantastic night, the kangaroo was melt in your mouth delicious, she looked gorgeous in a little black dress, she was easy to talk to, we went for a few drinks in a nice music bar then I drove her home, and I gave my massaging hands a workout which she seemed to enjoy!

Both want to do it again so here is to the next date! POF could be taking a back seat soon (fingers crossed!)

Just home from my date, was a fantastic night, the kangaroo was melt in your mouth delicious, she looked gorgeous in a little black dress, she was easy to talk to, we went for a few drinks in a nice music bar then I drove her home, and I gave my massaging hands a workout which she seemed to enjoy!

Both want to do it again so here is to the next date! POF could be taking a back seat soon (fingers crossed!)

Great news :)

That's great, Armaghmagic. Keep up the good work! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I felt I should share this with ye..

Was out Thursday night, standing outside Coppers at the end,, and I notice this lad talking to my friend.

It was a lad I had went on a date with from POF, the guy that I was so nervous of meeting I drank waay too much. Queue very awkward conversation!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

That's great. It's a super feeling when that happens. Fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DwightShrute

Had first ever date with someone from a dating website last night.
    Perfectly nice, intelligent girl and we had things in common, which is how I noticed her in the first place.
    But I'm not used to going out with younger girls and just her general demeanour and things she said didn't do anything for me. It was like chatting to your little sister's friend or something. Ah well.

It got me thinking though that I would prefer being on a similar wavelength as someone - i.e similar sense of humour and way of looking at things than having the same interests as them.

The % matching thing that the online sites use, renders everything to easy-to-compare compatability when surely it's the more undefinable, less quantifiable things that make a lot of relationships work.

Date finished! Now for a night out with my mates :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Date finished! Now for a night out with my mates :D

How'd you get on?

That_Guy wrote: »
    How'd you get on?

You don't need to know. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Talking to a nice girl 10 years older than me (no, not chatting in that way, just chat). But she's hot and seems nice and said she NEVER gets approached by fellas when out. I'm surprised.

Anyways gonna delete my account tonight for certain. Quite depressing getting no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

How's everyone getting on? Thought I'd get back into the internet dating. Question for the guys, do you message profiles without pics? I have mine on private. Still get a good few messages from guys (the usual crap though to be honest)...I was thinking of puttting my pics up but just don't want anyone to recognise me :o

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    How's everyone getting on? Thought I'd get back into the internet dating. Question for the guys, do you message profiles without pics? I have mine on private. Still get a good few messages from guys (the usual crap though to be honest)...I was thinking of puttting my pics up but just don't want anyone to recognise me :o

When I was using it I did message profiles with no picture but it had to be a really well thought out profile for me to do so.

awec wrote: »
    No pic no message to be honest.

At the very least attach pictures to any message you send :)

Oh I do that!
    When I was using it I did message profiles with no picture but it had to be a really well thought out profile for me to do so.

Ah well my profile is pretty amazing so hopefully I'll have nothing to worry about :pac:

For me, I would only message someone that had no profile photo, if it stated they had hidden ones. Within the first message or two, I would ask to see it and, if they disagree, I just leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I_am_LOST wrote: »

I message picless profiles, they often ask for my pic and I send one and never hear from them again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

For me, I would only message someone that had no profile photo, if it stated they had hidden ones. Within the first message or two, I would ask to see it and, if they disagree, I just leave it.

I did the same, would send a message to a photoless profile no problem but if she didn't send one on within a few messages of me asking for it then I would look elsewhere!

Ah sure it's only fair that ya send a pic on, of course :) I just don't want one up in public :o

Also, I'd rather get ignored after sending a pic, than be led on or even get a message saying 'sorry you're not my type'! If you're ignored after sending a pic, it's safe to assume they're not attracted to you. No biggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    You don't need to know. :p

Ah, we do.

Sharing is caring! Tis what the thread is all about! :D

Just kidding you don't have to if you don't want to.

Oh God, the peer pressure!

*runs away to hide in AH*

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Have a date for early next week. He seems really nice. Looking forward to it but nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Nerves should go once you sit down....I always get butterflies before meeting someone, but usually chill pretty quickly.That's why it's important to keep first meets very informal, less pressure.

Anyway, what's the worse that could happen..... :p

Probably best not to think of worst case scenarios when it comes to internet dating :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just forced myself into sending a couple of messages. My heart just isn't in this :(

So after uploading a new OKC pic yesterday I have 30 profile visits....

"Oooh, who's this new one? She seems nice...oh no wait, it's just her again. :( "

:pac:

Just forced myself into sending a couple of messages. My heart just isn't in this :(

You might be better off taking a break from it for a while if that's the case, online dating can get a little full on....

If you're not that into it, I wouldn't bother imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

You might be better off taking a break from it for a while if that's the case, online dating can get a little full on....

If you're not that into it, I wouldn't bother imo.

I've only just got back into it after about 7 months away! I was with guy for a while and I've been licking my wounds for quite a while since we broke up so I decided to get back on the saddle, just still pining for the ex.

I'll battle through :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

What's with all these guys on their POF profiles suggesting bungee jumps as a first date??

I mean fair enough if you want to show that you have an adventurous side, but it's not very realistic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Created a profile on OKC last week. Having a lot of trouble taking it seriously though... feels like my heart is somewhere else. Not sure if it's for me at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

So I literally just signed up to POF. 5 mins in, 5 messages! 1 saying "So you look hot" even though my pictures are on private!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Yeah sometimes I really wonder why people join if they can't be bothered to read your profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Daisies wrote: »
    So I literally just signed up to POF. 5 mins in, 5 messages! 1 saying "So you look hot" even though my pictures are on private!
    They can smell the hawt off ya D,I'd take it as a compliment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

They can smell the hawt off ya D,I'd take it as a compliment.

Go back to your Guinness you drunken poster! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've a non alcoholic drink date today/tomorrow. Eek! :eek:

Larianne wrote: »
    I've a non alcoholic drink date today/tomorrow. Eek! :eek:

I am always on non alcoholic drink dates as I am a pioneer......luckily she isn't so I gave her all the glasses of wine I would have had, worked out well!

Best of luck with your date, keep us updated ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

When you create a new profile and add photos to it sometimes POF takes a few minutes to register that your photos should be set to 'Private', so it's possible that the person saw your photos in that short space of time before they were hidden. Of course the alternative that it was simply a copy & paste message you received is also quite possible given that it is POF. Oh the constant struggle of online dating, do we live as an optimist or a realist. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, things are a bit slow on my ventures; I've been chatting to a nice girl for a few days, she is the short message reply type which would usually make me guess that the person is just trying to be polite by replying even though they're not interested, the messages do however contain questions trying to progress the conversation so I'll live in hope for the moment :)

cade wrote: »
    When you create a new profile and add photos to it sometimes POF takes a few minutes to register that your photos should be set to 'Private', so it's possible that the person saw your photos in that short space of time before they were hidden. Of course the alternative that it was simply a copy & paste message you received is also quite possible given that it is POF. Oh the constant struggle of online dating, do we live as an optimist or a realist. :rolleyes:

Gosh darn it! Well, we'll see how things go from here. Any tips? Not going to lie, I've been reading this thread and it doesn't fill me with hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Gosh darn it! Well, we'll see how things go from here. Any tips? Not going to lie, I've been reading this thread and it doesn't fill me with hope!

The only things I can offer is that you set up some restrictions on who can mail you, just to cut out those only looking for penpals, those who admit to being married or who have mailed persons looking for NSA. The Minimum characters in the first mail settings is a good option too as it'll make people put effort into a mail to you, so cuts out time wasters.

Add a few hooks to your profile for interested people to latch on to in their mails to you. i.e. interests, hobbies activities. Otherwise you'll get simple copy & paste messages or terrible pick up lines. Oh and 'Prefer not to say' in any of the answer boxes will always make people suspicious.

When you do get a mail or see a users profile that interests you it is worth throwing the url of one or more of their pics in tineye just to make sure that the picture is not simply stolen from the net meaning a fake profile.

These things will help but you will still get messages from weirdos, assholes, timewasters, people looking for NSA or FWB. Despite all the negatives there are some genuine nice people on the site so it is worth the sifting effort. Though the worst part of online dating is the whole 'oh they're nice but I won't pick them as someone better could come along' aspect to it which leads to promising mail exchanges simply ending abruptly. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement