Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sony VAIO - But No MS Word.

Options
  • 13-09-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

My Gateway lap top, six years old, finally gave up and I was regrettably forced into purchasing a replacement:(

Before the crash, I managed to save most of my work on memory sticks but have been unable to open to view or write Word document files on my new lap top. I've tried a number of free online programs but without any real success. One did manage to open the docs but I was unable to write, the rest were simply useless. Any advice on fixing this problem would be most appreciated.

On a separate issue, I removed the hard drive, which was fine, and bought a hard drive caddy to connect it to my new lap top. I have a couple of valuable software programs on there which I would like to remove and install on the new machine, is this possible?

Thanks for the time you took to read this;)

Apologies to admin if I posted in the wrong place:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You can't move software from one computer to another. You will either have to use a free compatible word processor or buy Microsoft office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

GarIT wrote: »
    You can't move software from one computer to another. You will either have to use a free compatible word processor or buy Microsoft office.

You can. I have moved my Office licence from an old PC to a new one. Just used the same serial number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

http://www.openoffice.org/

OP have you tried that ^ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Did you try open office or libre office? I have had no problems opening docs with either of those - though i havent tried the newer format (docx xlsx etc.)

You can get them on ninite.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You can. I have moved my Office licence from an old PC to a new one. Just used the same serial number.

That's moving a licence over, not software. There is no pratical way of moving installed software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

I tried both of the above, Open Office failed to do the job but Libre Office worked a treat:)

I really can't thank you guys enough for your getting me out of a jam!

Thanks once again;)

Advertisement