Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using the term "without prejudice"

• 05-08-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Just wondering what is the correct use of this term. Say a company receives a solicitors letter and they are replying but dont want the information contained in it to be relied on in court in case it is incorrect - all effort taken to ensure the info is correct but may be wrong. Should you put this phrase at the top of the letter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Without prejudice in this context means that the discussion/letter is without prejudice to anything that might be said or done within legal proceedings.

As a general rule a party to proceedings in receipt of correspondence entitled 'without prejudice' from or on behalf of the other party will not be permitted to rely on the contents of the correspondence in court.

So yes, in the circumstances you describe, entitle the correspondence 'without prejudice'. But note that the rule is by no means inviolable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 a lawyer

page1 wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the correct use of this term. Say a company receives a solicitors letter and they are replying but dont want the information contained in it to be relied on in court in case it is incorrect - all effort taken to ensure the info is correct but may be wrong. Should you put this phrase at the top of the letter?

I'd suggest that you just say what you mean in the letter. If there's something you can't clarify just tell them. Without wanting to get into the actual circumstances, if you were to be "definite" in the body of the letter about something that you were a bit uncertain about then "without prejudice" at the top of the letter may not save you later - particularly if the other party can show that they relied on whatever they were told.

Whether you put "without prejudice" on it or not, assume that whatever goes in the letter may come up later, and if you need to be vague about some points then just say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Thanks very much, i wasnt sure if it was only used where negotiations were taking place.

In the end i put in the letter "to the best of my knowledge" as im as sure as i can be about the statement but i could not say with 100% certainty that i am right.

Thanks again.

Advertisement