Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children

Options
  • 05-08-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Can a father apply for legal guardianship of a child to whom he is not the biological father of even though he has parented her for over 12 years. He has since seperated from this child biological mother but still cares for the child 50% of the time.

The childs biological father is not in the picture.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I would think that if the biological mother objected then he would be struggling with his case as he is not the natural father.
    That is not to say his case would be impossible - others here would know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yes he can apply. Will he get it? Anyone's guess.

My guess is no since he separated from the mother. He should have applied while he was still married to her. Or adopted the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MsRockstar

delancey42 wrote: »
    I would think that if the biological mother objected then he would be struggling with his case as he is not the natural father.
    That is not to say his case would be impossible - others here would know more.

I would agree with you, even though he has been the childs emotionally father for 13 years and has financially provided for her the entire time.

Its mad how the law works isn't it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MsRockstar

Yes he can apply. Will he get it? Anyone's guess.

My guess is no since he separated from the mother. He should have applied while he was still married to her. Or adopted the child.

They were never married, just co-habitation.

Its more for his own piece of mind in relation to the relationship he has built with her, and the fact that she maintains the same visitation as the rest of his biological children.

Advertisement