Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget Home Security?

Options
  • 27-01-2015 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Someone tried to break in recently while I was at work (barely in the house a month) but the house alarm scared them off this time and my next door neighbour, he's an old man, but he keeps an eye on the place when I'm not here, but they tried to break in to his place on Sunday, again the alarm foiled them (this while he was in, at 6am - he puts his alarm on when he goes to bed, I wasn't doing that but definitely will now). There have been a spate of burglaries in the area and I feel like it is only a matter of time before them come back. If I catch them there will be blood, probably mine too of course, I need some sort of security, I'm home alone almost every night, it's hard not to think about it. And unlike Nally I don't have a shotgun.

I want CCTV maybe 2-4 cameras. I looked at a few security sites and they're charging €700 which is too much. There are similar-looking sets on Ebay for £100-£250 sterling but I've no idea if they're any good, or how to install them properly.

Only bought a house for the first time in December so I know very little about this. What do people recommend on a budget?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Rezident wrote: »
    Someone tried to break in recently while I was at work (barely in the house a month) but the house alarm scared them off this time and my next door neighbour, he's an old man, but he keeps an eye on the place when I'm not here, but they tried to break in to his place on Sunday, again the alarm foiled them (this while he was in, at 6am - he puts his alarm on when he goes to bed, I wasn't doing that but definitely will now). There have been a spate of burglaries in the area and I feel like it is only a matter of time before them come back. If I catch them there will be blood, probably mine too of course, I need some sort of security, I'm home alone almost every night, it's hard not to think about it. And unlike Nally I don't have a shotgun.

I want CCTV maybe 2-4 cameras. I looked at a few security sites and they're charging €700 which is too much. There are similar-looking sets on Ebay for £100-£250 sterling but I've no idea if they're any good, or how to install them properly.

Only bought a house for the first time in December so I know very little about this. What do people recommend on a budget?

The alarm, security lights, CCTV, anti snap/anti bump locks, anti lifting locks for sliding doors, window locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Phonewatch do good systems and CCTV. they will make sure it is maintained too. but system is like 1500+ and CCTV around 700. plus an annual charge.

its relatively expensive to be fair. But well recommended to have a properly monitored system.

They do offers now and then with big discounts.

moleyv wrote: »
    Phonewatch do good systems and CCTV.

I dont think you will find many people around here that will agree with that statement. The new system they use ties a customer into them. No other monitoring station in Ireland can view or receive pictures from the PIR cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Perimeter lighting with PIR activation first. No need for floodlighting, just enough to illuminate the footpaths around the house.

Neighbourhood watch. Get it started and get your neighbours to sticker up their doors and entrances to the area.

Ask the Gardai to take a little spin around the estate/road when they're passing by for the next while. Depending on where you live, a community liaison officer may be available to you and your neighbours, especially if there's a real NW scheme in place or being set up.

Put net curtains or blinds on all ground floor windows so nobody can see inside and keep the curtains drawn at night.

Keep hedges cut low and leave wheelie bins and other crap away from downstairs windows and doors if possible. Eliminate 'hiding' places. Of course, if the place is where one doles out a hiding, keep it out of sight and earshot ;)

Finally, and I'm serious about this one, get a largish dog kennel and put it in the back garden. Stick a bed in it and leave a 'tug rope' toy and a food and water bowl clearly visible by the back door. Free or close to it from Donedeal or Gumtree will do the trick. Used will be more convincing anyway.

Combination of tidy surroundings, house alarm, discrete lighting, neighbourhood watch activity/signage and 'evidence' that there's a large dog that likes to grab a hold of stuff and tug at it with it's teeth and the fear that if they actually gain entry the hound will make a surprise appearance will be enough to dissuade an opportunistic scrote from making an advance on your property and possessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

altor wrote: »
    The alarm, security lights, CCTV, anti snap/anti bump locks, anti lifting locks for sliding doors, window locks.

Security lights are a good idea actually, I hadn't thought of that. Simple too, thank you kindly.

• Advertisement

I don't know who else I would want to maintain the system.

You could DIY a good system with cameras connected over the net to check up. Depends on how much time you have really.

Going on my experiences I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Either way I would recommend a wireless system, a lot easier for a retrofit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

I've started to build mine using Z-wave stuff. Its easy to set up and its modular so you can start off with the basics and build up over time. If the windows or doors open, the sensor triggers a count down like a normal alarm and if its not disarmed the sirens go off. I get notified by email and I can then view the webcams in real time (one in the porch, hall and above the back door). I'm sure people will think its not the most secure ( and they could be right) but I like it and to be honest, its another gadget for me to play with! I get most of my stuff from homebots.ie. You can carry on expanding then with the home automation. its awfully nerdy

Phonewatch do good systems and CCTV. they will make sure it is maintained too. but system is like 1500+ and CCTV around 700. plus an annual charge.

its relatively expensive to be fair. But well recommended to have a properly monitored system.

Ouch that is pricey, but I'll keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

I've started to build mine using Z-wave stuff. Its easy to set up and its modular so you can start off with the basics and build up over time. If the windows or doors open, the sensor triggers a count down like a normal alarm and if its not disarmed the sirens go off. I get notified by email and I can then view the webcams in real time (one in the porch, hall and above the back door). I'm sure people will think its not the most secure ( and they could be right) but I like it and to be honest, its another gadget for me to play with! I get most of my stuff from homebots.ie. You can carry on expanding then with the home automation. its awfully nerdy

This is not recognized by your home insurance though so be aware of that.

Security lights are a good idea actually, I hadn't thought of that. Simple too, thank you kindly.

You are welcome :)

• Advertisement

Having a system recognised by insurance is a big point. it can get you decent insurance savings. monitored systems get a bigger discount again.

Lot of electricians will fit off the shelf systems too. Might be worth looking into if you don't feel up to DIY.

Perimeter lighting with PIR activation first. No need for floodlighting, just enough to illuminate the footpaths around the house.

Neighbourhood watch. Get it started and get your neighbours to sticker up their doors and entrances to the area.

Ask the Gardai to take a little spin around the estate/road when they're passing by for the next while. Depending on where you live, a community liaison officer may be available to you and your neighbours, especially if there's a real NW scheme in place or being set up.

Put net curtains or blinds on all ground floor windows so nobody can see inside and keep the curtains drawn at night.

Keep hedges cut low and leave wheelie bins and other crap away from downstairs windows and doors if possible. Eliminate 'hiding' places. Of course, if the place is where one doles out a hiding, keep it out of sight and earshot ;)

Finally, and I'm serious about this one, get a largish dog kennel and put it in the back garden. Stick a bed in it and leave a 'tug rope' toy and a food and water bowl clearly visible by the back door. Free or close to it from Donedeal or Gumtree will do the trick. Used will be more convincing anyway.

Combination of tidy surroundings, house alarm, discrete lighting, neighbourhood watch activity/signage and 'evidence' that there's a large dog that likes to grab a hold of stuff and tug at it with it's teeth and the fear that if they actually gain entry the hound will make a surprise appearance will be enough to dissuade an opportunistic scrote from making an advance on your property and possessions.

The neighbours have been brilliant and I'm only very new here, when the alarm went off, they rang the estate agent (sold sign is still up) to get my number to contact me, it feels like there is a neighbourhood watch, they are brilliant. I must bake them cakes or something.

That is absolutely brilliant about the kennel! That is a great idea, thanks for that. That and the security lights should be good. Thanks a mill for that :)

You could DIY a good system with cameras connected over the net to check up. Depends on how much time you have really.

I would rather be going down the route of a self install than be tied into a alarm company like them. You only have to look here at the price they want for a call out plus if you are not monitored at the time they want you to sign back up for a year just to get a service call :eek::eek::eek: Ringing a customer to say we need to call out to disconnect your system from the line when they can simply delete the numbers the alarm contacts the monitoring station on through there tool box.
    There new wire free system does not offer perimeter protection either.
    Its not something I could recommend to anyone.

I love gadgets too, security plus gadgetry, hmm, interesting. I'm having a look at that site now. Cheers for that.

Dont have it on the insurance. Simple.
    Having a system recognised by insurance is a big point. it can get you decent insurance savings. monitored systems get a bigger discount again.

With insurance companys looking for ways out of paying out in the event of a claim I honestly dont think it is worth putting the alarm on it. If you have a new alarm and are claiming it to be maintained to a standard (EN50131) then this must be tested every year to maintain this standard. If its missed and you have a breakin then you may not be covered. If the alarm is off you may also not be covered.

I also point out the little discount you get for a maintained alarm. The discount in many cases will not cover the cost of having the system tested and maintained to the standard it was installed too.

Lot of electricians will fit off the shelf systems too. Might be worth looking into if you don't feel up to DIY.

Unless your electrician is PSA registered he should not be installing a security system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

The neighbours have been brilliant and I'm only very new here, when the alarm went off, they rang the estate agent (sold sign is still up) to get my number to contact me, it feels like there is a neighbourhood watch, they are brilliant. I must bake them cakes or something.

That is absolutely brilliant about the kennel! That is a great idea, thanks for that. That and the security lights should be good. Thanks a mill for that :)

Get that Sold sign down pronto.

New owner often means new stuff for the 'new' house which obviously is more attractive to scum.

altor wrote:
    I would rather be going down the route of a self install than be tied into a alarm company like them. You only have to look here at the price they want for a call out plus if you are not monitored at the time they want you to sign back up for a year just to get a service call  Ringing a customer to say we need to call out to disconnect your system from the line when they can simply delete the numbers the alarm contacts the monitoring station on through there tool box. There new wire free system does not offer perimeter protection either. Its not something I could recommend to anyone.

Funny that they advertise as having unlimited free call outs. which is what I get. They also can fix things remotely.

As for the basic system package they advertise, it is exactly that. My system was installed with all perimeter protection but when eircom ran it.

I'm sure you can have perimeter protection if you want.

You clearly prefer self install and that is fine. But is not a solution for everyone.

As for annual subscription, I don't see the point in not having them monitor and maintain when that is the premise under which I had the thing installed. The savings from insurance premium mostly or fully cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Site here you can check out. Purchased products off them loads of times and no issue. They are China's biggest online store

http://m.aliexpress.com/search.htm?keywords=cctv&sortType=PP_D&shippingCountry=IE&viewtype=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

get a synology NAS and a security camera setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Funny that they advertise as having unlimited free call outs. which is what I get. They also can fix things remotely.

As for the basic system package they advertise, it is exactly that. My system was installed with all perimeter protection but when eircom ran it.

You clearly prefer self install and that is fine. But is not a solution for everyone.

As for annual subscription, I don't see the point in not having them monitor and maintain when that is the premise under which I had the thing installed. The savings from insurance premium mostly or fully cover it.

This makes a change, usually people come on here trying to rid PW from their lives.
    By the way, when your alarm activates, does it make noise outside?

• Advertisement

Funny you should say that as I would not class them as free if you are paying to have this service. You have paid for this in the cost they charge.

Another think is the ad of a life time guarantee, so if you leave the monitoring and maintenance after a year is the systems still covered for life. I dont think so but maybe you can clarify this?

So you have no experience of the new system they are using :rolleyes:

I prefer what suits a customer. If a customer does not need something I will not be pushing it on them. Life time cover of parts if you give me X amount per month is a good example.

So the cost of having the system maintained and monitored you receive this off your insurance cover? €35 per Month €420 per year of a discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

wally1990 wrote: »
    Site here you can check out. Purchased products off them loads of times and no issue. They are China's biggest online store

http://m.aliexpress.com/search.htm?keywords=cctv&sortType=PP_D&shippingCountry=IE&viewtype=1

Have you ever been hit with any customs charges when ordering from China?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

altor wrote: »
    With insurance companys looking for ways out of paying out in the event of a claim I honestly dont think it is worth putting the alarm on it. If you have a new alarm and are claiming it to be maintained to a standard (EN50131) then this must be tested every year to maintain this standard. If its missed and you have a breakin then you may not be covered. If the alarm is off you may also not be covered.

Our neighbour was broken into a while back, she was on a short run to the shops and hadn't armed the alarm. Insurance company weasled out of paying the damage.

I wouldn't recommend availing of the alarm discount on the home insurance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It can be a nightmare all right. There is also another out for them if you are claiming a discount for your alarm conforming to EN50131 & your late getting it serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

The other out is, you don't tell them you have an alarm. The worst happens, the alarm isn't switched on.
    You submit a claim, they send out an assessor, he notices the alarm and queries if it was set, answer is no, then the insurance company has grounds not to pay out as they see this as the client not taking adequate care of their property.

An actual assessor told me this.

kub wrote: »
    The other out is, you don't tell them you have an alarm. The worst happens, the alarm isn't switched on.
    You submit a claim, they send out an assessor, he notices the alarm and queries if it was set, answer is no, then the insurance company has grounds not to pay out as they see this as the client not taking adequate care of their property.

An actual assessor told me this.

They have it to handy, surely if you tell them its broke they cant use that get out? From what I have being told it has just not to be on the policy.

Advertisement