Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what HKC system do I have?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have a HKC wired system installed in the house, about 2 years old. The system uses the Eircom landline to text when the alarm has been triggered, but I've read that Eircom will stop this by the end of June 2015.

I've a questions I need help with
    - how do I know what system I currently have? Should this be on the control panel somewhere? I know I should have a copy of it somewhere but...
    - what's the best way to upgrade the system to continue to notify me if the alarm is triggered post June 2015? How expensive is it to add a voice dialler?

The system is locked with the engineer code so can't do much with it as is.

Regards,
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

You either have an 8/12 or a 10/70.

The quickest way to determine which one is, does it have a male voice or a female voice when saying 'System Arming' etc.

If you have a 10/70 then you are lucky as that has a voice dialler function already.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

cannco253 wrote: »

The system is locked with the engineer code so can't do much with it as is.

If its the older 6/10 or 8/12 a generic voice dialler can be fitted without the need to access engineer more.

If its the newer system any good engineer can unlock & reset the panel for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭altor

KoolKid wrote: »
    If its the newer system any good engineer can unlock & reset the panel for you.

Have you defaulted a 10/70 that is engineer locked?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    Have you defaulted a 10/70 that is engineer locked?

Yes.

Yes.

You do know that once you down power the system it returns to it original state then?

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean there sorry?

Not sure what you mean there sorry?

Once you default a 10/70 it defaults from engineer lock.
    If it is ever down powered again it will return to the state it was in before you defaulted it.

I haven't found that to be the case. I have one fairly large one I took over a while back that has had quite a few power downs. Had to move the panel at one stage as well.

I haven't found that to be the case. I have one fairly large one I took over a while back that has had quite a few power downs. Had to move the panel at one stage as well.

Are you basing this on one panel? Must not of being locked so.
    I have done it on numerous panels with the same result.
    Same on the Quantum.

Couldn't be 100% on some others I have defaulted but I'm 100% on that one.
    100% it was locked & 100% its been powered down since & powered back up fine.
    So are you saying there is a fault with the HKC system that if you bypass the engineer lock it is never going to hold its memory again?
    Sounds like something that needs looking into. In all the panels I have flashed over the years I have never had such an issue.
    Where are you sourcing this information from?

• Advertisement

Couldn't be 100% on some others I have defaulted but I'm 100% on that one.
    100% it was locked & 100% its been powered down since & powered back up fine.
    So are you saying there is a fault with the HKC system that if you bypass the engineer lock it is never going to hold its memory again?
    Sounds like something that needs looking into. In all the panels I have flashed over the years I have never had such an issue.
    Where are you sourcing this information from?

I have tried it. The newer panel has an flash eeprom plus the information is stored in the memory. When you default the system it defaults the flash eeprom, then once the system is down powered it returns to its original state.
    I am basing this information on doing this on the newer panels. It the way it works, not a fault.

Reminds me of a line regularly used by a certain company.
    Its a feature , not a bug.
    :P

Anyway, if you are correct it must be something recent, I'll check it again on the next panel I take over.:)

Anyway, if you are correct it must be something recent, I'll check it again on the next panel I take over.:)

Let us know how you get on

Will Do.
    Reminds me of the time certain staff in HKC swore blind to me the 8/12 could not be defaulted if its engineer locked.
    We all know how that worked out.
    I believe in learning things for myself.

Will Do.
    Reminds me of the time certain staff in HKC swore blind to me the 8/12 could not be defaulted if its engineer locked.
    We all know how that worked out.
    I believe in learning things for myself.

Coolaboola..

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

kub wrote: »
    You either have an 8/12 or a 10/70.

The quickest way to determine which one is, does it have a male voice or a female voice when saying 'System Arming' etc.

If you have a 10/70 then you are lucky as that has a voice dialler function already.

Hi
    Which one is the one with the male voice ?

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Hi
    Which one is the one with the male voice ?

6/10 and 8/12 is the male voice.
    Newer 10/70 is a female voice.

6/10 and 8/12 is the male voice.
    Newer 10/70 is a female voice.

Thanks for the reply,its 7 years old so probably the 8/12.
    Also is there anywhere I can get a slim aritech sensor narrower than 33mm ?

Thanks for the reply,its 7 years old so probably the 8/12.
    Also is there anywhere I can get a slim aritech sensor narrower than 33mm ?

HKC have a slimline sensors.
    Any of the suppliers here should have them in stock.

HKC have a slimline sensors.
    Any of the suppliers here should have them in stock.

Good man thanks will have a look.

• Advertisement

Good man thanks will have a look.

No probs, they use the Astec head also. Nice neat unit.

Advertisement