Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I personally know a journalist who writes for The Sunday World. He covers a certain team (NOT Liverpool), and the fans of that team all thought he was great, until one time he dared to criticise their manager in print. He the started receiving emails calling him a "bitter fan of team XX (crosstown rivals) which he is FAR from being).Perfectly natural.

I hope it's not Roy Curtis! That man is despicable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The Daily Heil is rumouring about Skrtl to Zenit for £13m - apparently the Russian transfer window is open for another couple of weeks.

Would it be worth cashing in on him at this stage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Cartman78 wrote: »
    The Daily Heil is rumouring about Skrtl to Zenit for £13m - apparently the Russian transfer window is open for another couple of weeks.

Would be a bit risky imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No, as it would weaken the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Think Zenit being interested in Skrtel was ran in a few other papers last week. Think the rumour may be getting an airing due to the fact we are playing Zenit next week more than it having legs to run on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

gafferino wrote: »
    Bundesliga outfit Hamburg concede that in-demand forward Heung-min Son could be sold if a suitable offer is put to them.

South Korea international Son is said to be interesting a number of clubs in the Premier League, with Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all said to be keen.

Reports suggest that Spurs sent scouts to watch the 20-year-old in action on Wednesday as he appeared for his country in a friendly date with Croatia at Fulham's Craven Cottage.

It has been suggested that Hamburg would be looking for around £10million for their highly-rated frontman.

General manager Frank Arnesen has refused to speculate on a price, but admits a tempting bid could force the club's hand.

He is, however, hopeful that fresh terms can be agreed with Son, allowing him to remain in Germany for the foreseeable future.

Arnesen told Hamburger Morgenpost: "Of course we have an acceptance limit.

"But Sonny is a very young and great talent. We have the ambition to sign new terms with him and will be in a position to hand him a good deal.

"I am sure we can find a solution to keep hold of him for longer than the end of his current deal (which expires in June 2014)."

Wouldn't be all that keen on him joining Liverpool tbh. Don't quite think he'd get us the goals we need in the PL.

He's young and will improve, but I just don't see him fitting in with us IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Don't yous know that borini scored for the under 21s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Lazy journalism, that's all it is.

It's the Dailly Fail ffs!

Would be nuts to sell a first teamer unless a better replacement was brought in.

Remember, only during the summer some were saying we have Coates if Skrtel was sold.

Atm, Skrtel > Coates.

It's certainly a part of the pitch that needs serious reninforcments in the summer.

Right now Carragher is our best performing CB. I just wish he was 10 years younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Does Skrtl have a future at the club beyond this season though?

If not, then taking the £13m for him now would make sense imo. His form is shaky at best so it's not like his value is going to go up between now and the summer.

It would leave us short at the back in case of injuries and suspension but given that we're not really in a race for 4th it could be a risk worth taking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If not, then taking the £13m for him now would make sense imo. His form is shaky at best so it's not like his value is going to go up between now and the summer.

It would leave us short at the back in case of injuries and suspension but given that we're not really in a race for 4th it could be a risk worth taking

You're talking about his form, which could return.

Would be madness to sell him now as we have no cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

Selling him now would be shortsighted, if we got that offer in the summer wed be mad not to take it though. I hope there will be good investment in the defence side of things in the summer like has been said before. Weve plenty of attacking options at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/07/liverpool-luis-suarez-anfield-contract

Yes, we should talk this June or the next one, in 2014. My contract ends in 2018

I've very happy here and my family love the life here too. I want to enjoy being at this club where I, like all the kids, dreamed of playing and now I'm fulfilling that dream. I'm very pleased and very happy because Liverpool is growing.

"It's not the team that it once was as they have had a dip but now we have a new coach, who has a philosophy of the game with which the players are very happy.

"The only thing missing is to have more positive results so we can finish in a Champions League spot. We would like to qualify for the Champions League if possible. We are young and growing as a team and when the players mature, we will be stronger."

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

The reason Fanning backed down was because he made alot of allegations and he knew there was no truth in them . Why else would he back down with an apology and a donation to the HFSG .

If he was right then he should have proved it but he didn't . Carragher and LFC's legal team wanted to bring it to court but he didn't want to ? Either he was telling some amount of porkies or was led up the garden path by a source . He has an agenda and that is to blame anybody he can for Rafa's sacking be it Purslow , Players , Hicks and Gillett and even the man on the moon .

I haven't read his agenda driven crap in years and I don't think I will ever read it again . He seems to revel in the misery of our recent history so he can spew out his agenda driven crap time after time .

Neither of us have any idea why the Indo backed down, it's as likely that they didn't have the stomach for a legal battle. You've no answer why Chris Bascombe (Carra's autobiographer) was not sued by Carra for making the exact same claims.

You keep talking about Fannings "agenda" - he's paid to write opinion articles, not match reports. Therefore an agenda will always exist. Anyway I think there's an element of playing the man here and not the ball - namely attacking Fanning as a writer instead of dissecting what he wrote in his article about Rodgers; personally I'm not convinced by Rodgers either, but I do think Fanning went a wee bit too far in that article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Was just reading an article on a fantasy football site but came across this...

"Brendan Rodgers’ side prepare for the double Gameweek with the best home defensive record in the Premier League. Having conceded six goals in their first three games at Anfield, with City, Arsenal and United all notching twice, Liverpool have subsequently shipped just four goals in the following nine, with seven clean sheets accrued along the way."

Nice stat. (though not saying we are a solid defence but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

Looks like Fanning has done a very good job here lads.

got you (us) all talking about him and his piece.

He's a paid journalist - that doens't mean he has to give fair and unbiased pieces that everyone likes, or agrees with, it means he has to provide copy that will sell papers, get tongues wagging and waiting to see what comes next.

He is under no obligation to research his pieces, or to present "both sides" of any story he is writing. His job is to create a narrative that will sell papers. Same way papers choose a political side at election time - they push candidates from a certain party, they have no obligation to do anything different.

Oh, and don't forget. His father gave him many, many helping hands along his career path.

Doin Fanning is pretty good at what he does. I don't agree with his methods, but they are what they are.

It's funny though, football fans' view of journalists is fairly fickle. One week a journo will be "relaible, always checks his facts, is fair and balanced" until he writes a piece that the majority don't agree with - then he and his paper get slated.

I personally know a journalist who writes for The Sunday World. He covers a certain team (NOT Liverpool), and the fans of that team all thought he was great, until one time he dared to criticise their manager in print. He the started receiving emails calling him a "bitter fan of team XX (crosstown rivals) which he is FAR from being).

Weird. I'm not saying Fanning is in that boat, but it's kind of the same thing. Journo writes a couple of "negative" pieces about a club, and suddenly he's an enemy. Football fans just don't like people being negative about the club they support.

Perfectly natural.

I don't think i could disagree with the part in bold any more to be honest. If that were true then there would be no libel laws. whilst you are correct in saying that agendas and viewpoints are a standard part of journalistic practice, that does not negate the responsibility to refrain from presenting guesswork, or indeed lies, as fact.

there is a considerable difference between eschewing the merit's of one viewpoint over another, and printing falsehoods. the former demonstrates bias, or simply demonstrates the journalist's own political or social views, or indeed the views of their paper. the latter is amoral and in many cases dangerous, not to mention illegal.

journalists are obliged, both morally, and legally, to tell the truth to the best of their ability. how they dress up the facts they present is entirely up to them, in the same light as it is up to us as readers and consumers of comment to decide for ourselves how to view those opinions. to say they have no duty to research their articles or present fact is simply wrong IMO, As can be seen by the fact that journalists are often sued for printing falsehoods, or even for printing honest mistakes.

they owe it to their publications, and their readership, to present fact as fact. to do otherwise is both illegal and morally reprehensible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Any reports of injuries to any of our players after this fúcking ridiculous international break?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Melion wrote: »
    Any reports of injuries to any of our players after this fúcking ridiculous international break?

It was ****ing ridiculous wasn't it. Friendlies in the middle of the soccer season.

I actually hate International breaks. They're pointlessly boring games.

Doesn't help either when I get absolutely no joy out of watching Ireland.

I watched England v Brazil more than the Irish game last night tbh.

It was ****ing ridiculous wasn't it. Friendlies in the middle of the soccer season.

15 of our first team squad were gone, Suarez, Pepe and Coates were in Qatar for a meaningless friendly.

I hate international football as a whole but pointless friendlies like this one and the "break" 3 days before the premier league starts just confuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

Carragher to retire end of the season Big loss and will be very hard to replace. Cheers 4 the memories Jamie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Carragher to leave LFC and retire from football at the end of the season. He will be missed.

HOLY ****, NO!!!
    Carra has just announced he is retiring at the end of the season :(

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/lfc-statement-on-jamie-carragher
    Jamie Carragher has today announced that he is to leave Liverpool Football Club at the end of the season and will be retiring from football.

Most Recent News

The Reds defender has enjoyed a glittering career at Anfield, having joined the club's youth system aged nine before going on to make his first-team debut in January 1997 against Middlesbrough. He has subsequently made more than 700 senior appearances for Liverpool, winning a host of major honours. He is second only to Ian Callaghan in club's all-time appearance table.

The 35-year-old has made the announcement this week to end speculation surrounding his future.

He will continue to concentrate his efforts on helping Brendan Rodgers' side achieve success in the Barclays Premier League this season and the on-going Europa League campaign.

Carragher said: "This will be my last season at Liverpool and my last as a professional footballer.

"I'm making this announcement now because I don't want the manager or the club to be answering questions on my future when I've already decided what I am going to do.

"I will be fully committed between now and the end of the season to doing the very best for Liverpool Football Club, as I've done my entire career since joining aged just nine-years-old.

"It has been a privilege and an honour to represent this great club for as long as I have and I am immensely proud to have done so and thankful for all the support I have had. There are many memories I want to share and people to thank, but now is not the time for that.

"I won't be making any further comment on this decision until the end of the season; all our focus and concentration should be on achieving the best possible finish in the league this season and trying to win the last remaining trophy we are competing in."

Liverpoolfc.com and LFC TV will be producing a special tribute to Jamie Carragher to be broadcast upon his retirement at the end of the season, featuring an extensive interview with the man himself reflecting on his illustrious career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

WealthyB wrote: »
    Neither of us have any idea why the Indo backed down, it's as likely that they didn't have the stomach for a legal battle. You've no answer why Chris Bascombe (Carra's autobiographer) was not sued by Carra for making the exact same claims.

You keep talking about Fannings "agenda" - he's paid to write opinion articles, not match reports. Therefore an agenda will always exist. Anyway I think there's an element of playing the man here and not the ball - namely attacking Fanning as a writer instead of dissecting what he wrote in his article about Rodgers; personally I'm not convinced by Rodgers either, but I do think Fanning went a wee bit too far in that article.

I honestly have no idea why he let him put that piece it could be down to the fact they are mates so he let him away with it .

Fanning has an agenda of attacking men like Roy and Brendan . The easy targets for him to attack because they have been struggling at times . There was times he could have been justified going after Rafa and Kenny and chose not too . To me thats his pro rafa agenda . All the man has done when he writes is to attack this club over the slightest thing since Rafa has left , we all know we lost a great manager but it happens and you have to move on .

What annoyed me the most about that article was the fact he has wrote Brendan off so early . That is mental thing to do in my opinion . The man needs four years to set down his vision thats when you really judge a manager . Roy stood no chance of getting four years because he was brought in as a stop gap while the club was sold . I mean no disrespect to Roy either . Rafa had his team built after four years and we all saw how good it was . If I had a crystal ball I would love to able to tell you all that BR will win us everything but I haven't and we will find out how good he is in the next few years .

LFC Legend. Future manager. Best to look to him with his coaching as Im pretty sure that's the direction he's headed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They should group them - have 3 or 4 friendlies over 3 weeks in January or something.

Rugby has it spot (even if they too play too many games). Autumn internationals. Six Nations.

For the most part you don't have much in the way of conflict between club and country.

Of course international rugby isn't the steaming heap of ****e that international football mostly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's been an absolute pleasure to watch Jamie Carragher's career unfold at Liverpool. An absolute legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lots of rumours that hell be working for sky next year, will be strange to see neville and carra on the same panel if true. Two respective legends of both clubs. What a legend

Jamie Carragher to retire from the game (crap I'm well late!)

Even a non believer like me will find it a bit sad and strange not to see him with the squad next season.

Liverpools final PL game of the season is at home against QPR, he'll start!

It's a shame to see Jamie retire but maybe it can be a benefit to us aswell because we can move him into a coaching role

Not a bad medal collection

6127872-Jamie_Carraghers_medal_collection_Liverpool.jpg

• Advertisement

Without doubt a Liverpool legend. Watching himself and Gerrard perform against Arsenal and City last week had me nostalgic for Champions League. It really was like reeling in the years.

Have a strong feeling he'll end up on the touchline next season in some capacity as he has already started the coaching side of things, and I imagine working with Rodgers would have him thinking he could do something similar.

I cant wait to see the send off he gets after the last Anfield game this season, will make Samis goodbye seem pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

LFC Legend. Future manager. Best to look to him with his coaching as Im pretty sure that's the direction he's headed

As much as he was a good player, I don't think he was a legend. He scored a few own goals in critical games, though Liverpool may of not lost cup finals due to that reason, I can't think he will be a legend. I see him more as a commentator than a manager, though I am not going to berate him if he wants to become a manager or coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

It's a shame to see Jamie retire but maybe it can be a benefit to us aswell because we can move him into a coaching role

Not a bad medal collection

6127872-Jamie_Carraghers_medal_collection_Liverpool.jpg

It is a good collection, but could of done a lot better, though that is not entirely his fault

nucker wrote: »
    As much as he was a good player, I don't think he was a legend. He scored a few own goals in critical games, though Liverpool may of not lost cup finals due to that reason, I can't think he will be a legend. I see him more as a commentator than a manager, though I am not going to berate him if he wants to become a manager or coach

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaJlv0CIgpPVz9DaCv5n86uZqASOIis6rVrUMW-nUqcZERk3vb0A

Over 700 hundred games for LFC, he won more than most footballers. His performances at center back when we won in Europe was nothing short of legendary status. A few own goals here & there won't change that. They are part & parcel for that position

Over 700 games for the club and not a legend? With the greatest of respect, get the fúck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Second most appearances for LFC of all time, frankly impossible not to call him a club legend. Typified by his performance in the Champions League final 25/05/05, when he put everything on the line, and was still making last ditch tackles when he could barely walk.

It is a good collection, but could of done a lot better, though that is not entirely his fault
    Won every club competition he possibly could have except the Premiership and the club world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bizarre posts. Truly bizarre.

I'll be disappointed if for the last 10 against QPR he is not pushed into attack (Suarez off!) for that 5th goal!

There won't be dry eye on this house.

I really and truly believe we have found a person to take over from willy's fine work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Great servant pretty much won it all and played with and against some fo the best in the business, not only is he a Liverpool legend but hes an EPL legend too.

Theres no way he'll work with Sky......nobody will want to turn on subtitles for every game. :pac:

Well done Jamie, great career. How many games is he short of the LFC appearence record?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Great servant pretty much won it all and played with and against some fo the best in the business, not only is he a Liverpool legend but hes an EPL legend too.

Theres no way he'll work with Sky......nobody will want to turn on subtitles for every game. :pac:

Well done Jamie, great career. How many games is he short of the LFC appearence record?

Over 150 IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I don't think it would be the right message (and if they were interested, they should have come for him in Jan when we could have replaced him), but there is some logic in it. It's a fair chunk of change for someone who we are possibly looking to replace in the summer. But I'd rather keep him now, push hard for the EL and highest league finish possible, and I think we could still get c. £10M in the summer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Carragher is a Liverpool legend. Don't know how anyone can be stupid enough to think otherwise.

Pity he'll retire with a minus goal tally but best of luck in the future. Can't see him staying out of the game for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Clearly, the timing of Carragher's announcement, coming during his best form in ages, is simply a ploy to get votes in the new 100 Players Who Shook The Kop poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Melion wrote: »
    Over 150 IIRC

Sooo he might not take the record nah? :pac:

Still, might impressive in the modern day to rack up over 700 games for one club.

Could we chop off downings legs and give them to Jamie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

mike65 wrote: »
    I'll be disappointed if for the last 10 against QPR he is not pushed into attack (Suarez off!) for that 5th goal!

There won't be dry eye on this house.

Its great when he does play, he is up for every free and corner. No idea if its instructions or what, but you can definately see that he wants a goal this season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement