Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Songs and literature representative of Ireland

• 26-06-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

So, as you may know or remember I`m going back to Ireland with my missus next year.

To help improve her English and lessen the culture schock for her, I`m trying to pick material for class which will help her understand Ireland a bit better before she comes over.

Probably would be good for me as well because I`ve been away for a long time.

So, what songs or books/stories do you think would be representative of Ireland?

Also, please give your reasons for picking them.

Thanking ye in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

i'd pick a mcgahern book to show her the rural mindset,but not one about abuse,she might be scared after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Throw her some E and put on Maniac 2000. It'll help her understand the skanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

Anything by Patrick McCabe.
    'Dead School' or 'Emerald Germs of Ireland' are class.

:cool:

On a serious note:
    The Field. I think the film would be better than the play for what you want it for.
    Also Song for A Raggy Boy and The Magdeline Sisters. (Both films).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Explain to her what a recession is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Over priced housing and landlords that think themselves Lords!

To balance this... maybe something folksy from Donegal? Like the music of Altan? One piece comes to mind called "Windmill."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

"Aon focal eile" by Richie Kavanagh.

I hear he's still gigging...

boogle wrote: »
    "Aon focal eile" by Richie Kavanagh.

I hear he's still gigging...

Apparently he's playing Galway soon. Spread the word; get the **** out of Galway.
    The Pogues would be good. And not as traumatizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Sandor wrote: »
    The Pogues would be good. And not as traumatizing.

I don't know, having Shane McGowan puking on you from a height would be pretty traumatising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Ulysses is pretty cool and gives an incredibly descriptive portrayal of Dublin at the start of the twentieth century. I know a lot of people might not have the time nor the inclination for Ulysses though so Joyce's Dubliners might be more suitable. A great read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Johannes Scotus

great stuff, thanks for the answers,

please remember to give the reason why, I`m not familiar with all the stuff you`re suggesting and when I present it to her I want it to be topic by topic.

I think the main topics would be

the crap with ourselves and England

the whole crap with ourselves and the church, including why we toleratred them so bloody long (actually curious about this one myself)

racism in Ireland (find the irony of this unbelievable)

the process from being a poor country to a richer one

what`s life like in Ireland nowadays,

history of feminism in Ireland

Life here is really different, to give you some examples, in a lot of families I know, the men are absolutely useless, don`t even know how to make a cup of coffee. The women act lierally as servants. She does the same with me, never lets me lift a finger and gets upset when I do things, she thinks this is normal. Imagine how people will see her if she does that stuff in Ireland????

Their reaction to religion is one of complete indifference, they just don`t give a damm what religion you are and something I really like is that they don`t let religion enter their lifes so much, it`s a kinda "what happens in vegas" attitude.

They never had a civil war, actually they don`t fight, not even for their own freedom. Had a dictatorship here for quite a while. Great efforts were not made to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johannes Scotus

Just to give an idea what we`re doing at the moment, for reading she`s got Dubliners and various short stories (the more well known ones)

Listening she`s got a lot of Pogues and Christy Moore.

At the moment no series or films, but that will change.

Keep the replies coming in, I appreciate it and am noting them down

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AnMoralltach

Planxty ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ulysses is pretty cool and gives an incredibly descriptive portrayal of Dublin at the start of the twentieth century. I know a lot of people might not have the time nor the inclination for Ulysses though so Joyce's Dubliners might be more suitable. A great read.

She's trying to improve her english ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

to answer all of your questions and topics... Get some saw doctors albums. Listen to the lyrics, your away with it then. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

to answer all of your questions and topics... Get some saw doctors albums. Listen to the lyrics, your away with it then. Seriously.

+1

their songs sum up rural ireland perfectly, Same Oul' Town could in truth be about any irish town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

and maybe t look at some clips of d'unbelievables on youtube, give them a search and see what comes up :) that might give you an idea of irish humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fr Ed box set, a grubby VHS of The Commitments, the Saw Docters greatest hits, a copy of They Are of Ireland by Declan lynch its a bit out of date but is a perfect primer for the chancers and cute hoors she can expect to control her life when she arrives.

Mike.

For a feminist insight OP Brian Friel's "Dancing At Lughnasa" would definitely be worth a look. I know, it's a play but it reads well. For the whole political unrest scene then try John Mc Gahern's "Amongst Women". Both really powerful, evocative literature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

how about The Feckin' Book of Irish Slang by Colin Murphy.... everything you need to know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

How about some of Sean O Riada's music ? It's the sound track to a historical period in the making of the irish free state and can be found on dvd's such as Mise Eire .Long before Riverdance thread the boards :)

For a feminist insight OP Brian Friel's "Dancing At Lughnasa" would definitely be worth a look. I know, it's a play but it reads well. For the whole political unrest scene then try John Mc Gahern's "Amongst Women". Both really powerful, evocative literature

you sure you haven't mixed the two texts up in your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AnMoralltach

Actually for a real take on Irish culture,type in Eddie Moroney into youtube..Never stuck for a word is this man.He gives a nice insight into rural Ireland and is a pleasant alternative to the likes of Marty Morrisey!

Yes certain. Why?
    Are you making assumptions based on the titles?
    No offense but you obviously haven't read/seen either if you think I may have confused either based on what I have written there

Yes certain. Why?
    Are you making assumptions based on the titles?

no i just don't remember much about politics in amongst women but plenty about women/feminism.haven't read dancing but thought it was about british rule?

No, god no. I dont understand how you assume I confused the titles when you havent even read/seen one of them at all :rolleyes:
    D.A.L is based on the lives of five spinster sisters in 1930's Glennty's in Donegal and their marginalised position in society as a result of their status. A.W's protagonist is a former IRA soldier and his militant background greatly influences the course of the text, hence the "political unrest" assimilations.

i think you are over emphasising the politics aspect of A.M. tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Whenever I think of Ireland in story and song, I think of Kilkelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The slang book is a very good idea.
    Probably the most relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

What Country are you coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Oooh Ooooh Oooohhh - anything by Cecilia Ahern. She's deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Watch The Van, classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Overheard in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think a point worth mentioning is the the ireland v England rugby game in croker. She might not be into sports but the importance of that occasion is not to be underestimated.

England playing in a GAA ground,
    The english national anthem being respected by the fans.
    The irish team giving them a f*ckin a hiding physically and mentally.

That was an amazing moment to be irish. I have never felt so proud and for so many different reasons. the fact that we've moved on from violence and bloodshed is the single best thing about this country today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ebonyellie

Jumbo breakfast roll - indicitive of the economic climate( well it was until recently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ye should watch the documentry series Fr. Ted. It's spot on.

Advertisement