Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude & Abusive Taxi Driver

Options
  • 25-06-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all. I firstly want to put out the word on this man and also to ask whether any of you have been in a similar situation.

I hailed a taxi yesterday evening at 5.30pm to take me from work (Dublin 4 area) to Griffith College (Dublin 8) where I am a student for my 6pm class. As I only attend on Tuesdays and don't drive to work and have a half hour window to make it on time, it makes sense for me to get a taxi outside my work.

I got into this taxi and told the driver where I was going. In between general weather chit chat, he asked me if I worked for a particular company whose offices were across from where he picked me up. I replied no, that I work in another office in the area (wasn't going to tell him exactly WHERE though!). I then conversationally mentioned a minute later that I had a specific way I would go to avoid missing my class once we got to the top of the road we were on and I would direct him from there as I didn't 100% know the names of all of the streets (a perfectly legal route, just a shortcut to avoid traffic and an exhorbitant fee which was pointed out to me by a lovely taxi driver a few months back). The moment I said this, the atmosphere changed which I felt but kept quiet.

We got to the top of the street and I asked him to do a right then sharp left rather than follow round to the left. He shouted at me 'you do not tell me which way we are going, I do tell YOU which route we are taking, ok. It is the law'. This was said in a very menancing tone. I was shocked and then angered at the way he was treating me and asked him if he was trying to say to me that he was going to force me to go a route I didn't want to go. He said he didn't like my tone and the way I was speaking to him and told me to get out of the car (in my defence, I am a polite, chatty girl and I make a point of saying please and thank you). I replied that it was infact he who had the attitude particularly since I mentioned that I had a route I liked to take. He continued shouting at me and told me to get out again (I was gathering my jacket and bag at the time and taking off the seatbelt).

I got out and took a mental note of his number. He then proceeded to do a swift u-turn on this tiny street and almost hit me in the process.

He drove a navy coloured, really old car (the door was practically hanging off) and I have his number but not sure of the implications of naming and shaming him here.

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A Taxi Driver thread in AH? I'll get the next one...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

So...you didn't have to pay? Sweet.

Naming and shaming here could lead to yet another lawsuit, and would be a waste of time. File a complaint with the proper authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

a dublin taxi driver thread in ah??? etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Dont know what naming and shaming would do here. But I would report him to the taxi regulator

As far as I am aware they should be taking you anyway you want regardless of what thye think is best.

It actually says on the taxiregulator site its their respoanabilty to Follow direction or route chosen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I want to see a thread from a taxi driver about all the rude & abusive passengers that they have to put up with every bleedin' day of the week.

Anyway OP - What's the point of this thread? If you have a gripe about the taxi driver - get onto the Regulator. Do you really think that you'll get satisfaction in AH? ROFL!

Students getting taxis - whatever next?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

if you got his license number call the carriage office just for his attitude alone. not sure on the "i tell you what way to go" law here but still his attitude sucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Who'd like hot butter with their pop corn for this one?..

OP, report the driver to the Taxi Regulator. But be prepared to give evidence and be cross examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Abused? Why are women so quick to use that word?

Anyway, noone cares. Go tell the people who might.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Taxi Regulator is the way to go.

Unless he looks like this, then I would reconsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Contact the regulator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

From the Taxi Regulator FAQ's:

Can i request which route to take?

Yes. As a consumer you are entitled to choose the route to take. If the Taxi driver suggests another way then you are entitled to take control of the wheel by any means nessessary.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Yes. As a consumer you are entitled to choose the route to take. If the Taxi driver suggests another way then you are entitled to take control of the wheel by any means nessessary.

tea came out my nose

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Chipnick

Thanks for the links though I have rang the number several times to no avail.

Chipnick wrote: »
    Thanks for the links though I have rang the number several times to no avail.
    OMG what ever will you do?

Ring back in about half an hour, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

more seriously:

As a customer, it is your right to:

* Direct the destination and route taken;

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was his name Travis Bickle by any chance? I'd keep clear from the likes of him! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you will need a copy of the reciept
    do you have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

• Advertisement

Careful guys, don't want to get too technical, she's still trying to figure out what to do when you make a call and noone answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ah roffle.... Just brightened up a very boring afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I want to see a thread from a taxi driver about all the rude & abusive passengers that they have to put up with every bleedin' day of the week.

Anyway OP - What's the point of this thread? If you have a gripe about the taxi driver - get onto the Regulator. Do you really think that you'll get satisfaction in AH? ROFL!

Students getting taxis - whatever next?!
    Judging by that response Hill Billy Im gonna hazard a guess say your a taxidriver??
    rude & abusive passengers that they have to put up with every bleedin' day of the week
    Didnt you mean to say "customers"...the same ones that pay a taxi drivers salary?
    Do you really think that you'll get satisfaction in AH?
    maybe a similar sense of satisfaction to the bitter cabbies that park thier asses outside Spar on Baggot St and whinge about how its not fair having to deal with competition??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Lawl! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Clytus wrote: »
    Judging by that response Hill Billy Im gonna hazard a guess say your a taxidriver??
    Whatever gave you that impression? Just because I pointed out that passengers can be fcuking twats too?
    Null points. Try again.

@ The Scientist - I'm still píssing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I got into this taxi and told the driver where I was going. In between general weather chit chat, he asked me if I worked for a particular company whose offices were across from where he picked me up. I replied no, that I work in another office in the area (wasn't going to tell him exactly WHERE though!).

Then how were you going to get to the right place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Terry wrote: »
    Then how were you going to get to the right place?

Read it again. She wasn't telling him the offices she just left. Not where she was going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hi all. I firstly want to put out the word on this man and also to ask whether any of you have been in a similar situation.

I hailed a taxi yesterday evening at 5.30pm to take me from work (Dublin 4 area) to Griffith College (Dublin 8) where I am a student for my 6pm class. As I only attend on Tuesdays and don't drive to work and have a half hour window to make it on time, it makes sense for me to get a taxi outside my work.

I got into this taxi and told the driver where I was going. In between general weather chit chat, he asked me if I worked for a particular company whose offices were across from where he picked me up. I replied no, that I work in another office in the area (wasn't going to tell him exactly WHERE though!). I then conversationally mentioned a minute later that I had a specific way I would go to avoid missing my class once we got to the top of the road we were on and I would direct him from there as I didn't 100% know the names of all of the streets (a perfectly legal route, just a shortcut to avoid traffic and an exhorbitant fee which was pointed out to me by a lovely taxi driver a few months back). The moment I said this, the atmosphere changed which I felt but kept quiet.

We got to the top of the street and I asked him to do a right then sharp left rather than follow round to the left. He shouted at me 'you do not tell me which way we are going, I do tell YOU which route we are taking, ok. It is the law'. This was said in a very menancing tone. I was shocked and then angered at the way he was treating me and asked him if he was trying to say to me that he was going to force me to go a route I didn't want to go. He said he didn't like my tone and the way I was speaking to him and told me to get out of the car (in my defence, I am a polite, chatty girl and I make a point of saying please and thank you). I replied that it was infact he who had the attitude particularly since I mentioned that I had a route I liked to take. He continued shouting at me and told me to get out again (I was gathering my jacket and bag at the time and taking off the seatbelt).
    I got out and took a mental note of his number. He then proceeded to do a swift u-turn on this tiny street and almost hit me in the process.
    He drove a navy coloured, really old car (the door was practically hanging off) and I have his number but not sure of the implications of naming and shaming him here.
    Thanks for reading :)

Try http://www.blogger.com or get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Whatever gave you that impression? Just because I pointed out that passengers can be fcuking twats too?

Indeed :rolleyes: - but if you dont like being a taxi pack it in...

Advertisement