Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bomb scare in the George last night??

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

DubArk wrote: »
    They're drag queens!! You have so much to learn :rolleyes:

Bless.

Well they were all at the gay pride march so i assume they're gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Degsy, there's been a complaint about your crap. Tone it down. Can't believe you suggested some gay people only want same-sex marriage legalised for financial reasons - that's appalling.

I think he's just trying to wind them up Dudess. This is better then Jerry Springer, lets keep it going :p !

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

KaG1888 wrote: »
    I think he's just trying to wind them up Dudess. This is better then Jerry Springer, lets keep it going :p !

I agree it has to be a wind up! No one person could be so devoid of any cop on or lack of any respect for others! He’s been trolling the Gay and Lesbian boards looking for his next pray. It’s a real case of “Me think the lady doth protest to much!”

Run Degsy it’s a drag queen after you! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Degsy wrote:
    Because overt displays of sexuality can bother people.Not just gays bothering straight people but in general.If i was to walk around flexing my muscles,grabbing my crotch and growling deeply to assert my straightness while wearing a string vest it might upset people,no?
    Yea I take your point and overt displays when not in context are a bit ill mannered for me too. Especially if you pulled that standing behind me at a bus stop. Big as you are eyebrows would be raised.:D

So people of any persuasion hard snogging after the clubs shut is cool by me. Doing same when it's likely to cause undue irritation to the majority wouldn't be. That doesn't mean I won't kiss a girlfriend on the street, but it's a question of degree and as I say, ultimately manners.
    Yep OTT and for me OTT and a little bit of colour in this otherwise grey world I welcome, again in context.

Dudess wrote: »
    Can't believe you suggested some gay people only want same-sex marriage legalised for financial reasons - that's appalling.
    While I personally don't agree with Degsy on this particular point, I do see why that may be a idea of what's knocking around with some though. So maybe its good to see both sides. Far too often in this debate and others, either the rabid side or the right on side start aiming for their respective high horse and honesty and the honest feelings of both get left behind, if you know what I mean?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree it has to be a wind up! No one person could be so devoid of any cop on or lack of any respect for others! He’s been trolling the Gay and Lesbian boards looking for his next pray. It’s a real case of “Me think the lady doth protest to much!”

Run Degsy it’s a drag queen after you! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    OK that's your take on the chap, but pulling the old, "you may appear to have an issue with gays/lesbians/bis/straights/goat lovers/, so that means you're not at ease with your/others sexuality" is a tad old hat and ultimately not helpful, as it further estranges those that may end up supporting you. Stranger things have happened. I've seen just such a turnaround.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK that's your take on the chap, but pulling the old, "you may appear to have an issue with gays/lesbians/bis/straights/goat lovers/, so that means you're not at ease with your/others sexuality" is a tad old hat and ultimately not helpful, as it further estranges those that may end up supporting you. Stranger things have happened. I've seen just such a turnaround.

True I agree it was a cheep shot therefore I apologise to Degse. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Wibbs wrote: »

+1. I hate that. Not everybody who has a problem with gays is a closet gay. It comes across as really immature imo.

Don't like watching Sex and the City huh? You must be gay so. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

Degsy wrote: »

drag queens are a form of entertainment that straight people find amusing too- i would love to be a drag queen- considering they get 3-400 a night!! would you not do it for that?? lol

to answer someone else- the generalisation of saying that realistically we wont raise chhildren is a false generalisation, due to the fact that we haven't been given the chance yet we cannot make that judgement

i do understand that the government has alot to deal with at the moment-but we have been waiting years for this to pass!

and yes- most gays hate the OTT gays because they are so up themselves and fit a steriotype that ppl expect us all to be like- they also hate each othr in case one is more OTT than the other- which is stupid and most of us do go for the burly men types !

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    +1. I hate that. Not everybody who has a problem with gays is a closet gay. It comes across as really immature imo.

Don't like watching Sex and the City huh? You must be gay so. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

no i dont understabnd this one either

but its like a generalisation most straight men have that if i'm gay i must fancy them- sorry mate- i can do better than a chavvy doley with no prospects! (just one example)

javaboy wrote: »

I think i did apologise! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think i did apologise! :D

It wasn't really aimed at you. In fairness Degsy deserves to be wound up. I was talking more about the general way something could argue cogently against something like gay marriage and then someone would invariably pipe up with the closet gay thing.

Dudess wrote: »
    Degsy, there's been a complaint about your crap. Tone it down. Can't believe you suggested some gay people only want same-sex marriage legalised for financial reasons - that's appalling.
    Well if you go back throught the thread the only cogent reason some of them are suggesting for wanting to be allowed marry is a)Inheritance tax and 2)tax breaks for married couples.I've already asked why on earth anybody would want to get married unless they wished to have children and the only answer i've been given is purely financial.I'd hardly call what i'm saying "crap" in fairness.

either
    straight men have that if i'm gay i must fancy them- sorry mate- i can do better than a chavvy doley with no prospects! (just one example)

I really dont think they think that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well if you go back throught the thread the only cogent reason some of them are suggesting for wanting to be allowed marry is a)Inheritance tax and 2)tax breaks for married couples.I've already asked why on earth anybody would want to get married unless they wished to have children and the only answer i've been given is purely financial.I'd hardly call what i'm saying "crap" in fairness.
    Then you've a poor memory or a blindspot - I already pointed out stuff like being able to make medical decisions on behalf of your loved one, which you're not always able to do outside marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

panda100 wrote: »
    Perhaps when straight people are victimised for their sexual orientation and are dissalowed basic rights because of this then there will be a 'straight pride'.

What basic rights? :confused: As a heavy drinking single man in my early 20s I wouldnt kick up a fuss if the adoption people turned down my application.

Basic rights are things like freedom of speech. Gay people are only denied many of the same tax benefits and adoption as straight single people. Get a grip.

ixoy wrote: »
    Then you've a poor memory or a blindspot - I already pointed out stuff like being able to make medical decisions on behalf of your loved one, which you're not always able to do outside marriage.

And it was something that was refuted by another poster.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And it was something that was refuted by another poster.
    I don't believe it was. We're not talking about regular visiting rights - course they're allowed. We're talking about issues like life/death where a decision has to be made whether to pull the plug or how best to proceed in other critical situations.

Given then you think gay people are being greedy and only wanting it for more money - should that not apply to everyone who gets married who doesn't want kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Given then you think gay people are being greedy and only wanting it for more money - should that not apply to everyone who gets married who doesn't want kids?

Very few will marry and not have children tbh.

Most men/women want children and marraige is the beginning of their family life together including the creation/adoption of children.

Those few who don't want kids will either
    a: Find someone else who doesn't want kids
    b: Find someone who does want kids, express their desire to not have them and the relationship ends.

It'll generally be the latter and even then when a happens a lot won't bother marrying as they can't see the point in it.

I don't believe it was. We're not talking about regular visiting rights - course they're allowed. We're talking about issues like life/death where a decision has to be made whether to pull the plug or how best to proceed in other critical situations.

C'mon.You're saying you want to get married so you can switch off your loved one's life support machine?A bit of a sketchy concept for the legalistation of gay marraiges methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why do straight people get married, Degsy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Dave! wrote: »
    Why do straight people get married, Degsy?

Because we can.

Just thought I'd throw that in to mix it up. :)

I have been living with my partner for the last 24 years. Both of us are the same sex. We both have wills and an extra legal document called a declaration of trust so as to try and insure that in the time of one of our demise that the partner left behind is not left footing a rather large inheritance tax bill and in the case of one of us becoming very ill and unable to express our wishes, the other can speak for us.

If one of us passed away today the other would have to pay tax inheritance no two ways about it, as we are not recognised in Ireland, as a couple. Although having lived in the UK for most of our lives together, we would be recognised as a couple there. We both hold Irish passports and were born and educated here.

Both of us have worked our whole adult lives and contributed to this state and others during our working lives, although far from retiring as we are only in our early forties it’s not just purely for monitory reasons that we have these legal documents but as safeguards that our wishes are carried out.

It is not unreasonable to imagine that a family member on either side could contest the wills. Certainly if the other partner was incapacitated due to illness and as we are not recognised in the eyes of the Irish law as next of kin, a family member is quite within their right to step in and contest said legal documents.

In our case this is wholey unlikely as we both belong to very supportive families.
    I ask should it come down to the fact your family is supportive? Not all of us are so lucky.

Neither of us have ever wanted to start a family or adopt children but it was not uncommon when we lived in London to meet same sex couples who have, by what ever means. Those children need to be protected as well as the parents in the eyes of the law, as any other family unit is. This is not some new phenomena, as a lot of their children are in there early twenties and not all tots.

I left this county as an unwanted guilt ridden teenager and have arrived back a much different person but still with little or no laws there to protect me and mine.

We’re are not asking for anything more or less, in the eyes of the legislators, then any other person in Ireland who wishes to commit to a relationship with their chosen partner.

I have little to add to this at this stage but my own experience in life for whatever thats worth. :)

Good post from Dubark there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

You don’t even have to do that without upsetting people!
    Where have you been hanging out that these people are so OTT!
    You’re a real joker; the only one OTT is your good self! LOL :D
    I have been living with my partner for the last 24 years. Both of us are the same sex. We both have wills and an extra legal document called a declaration of trust so as to try and insure that in the time of one of our demise that the partner left behind is not left footing a rather large inheritance tax bill and in the case of one of us becoming very ill and unable to express our wishes, the other can speak for us.

If one of us passed away today the other would have to pay tax inheritance no two ways about it, as we are not recognised in Ireland, as a couple. Although having lived in the UK for most of our lives together, we would be recognised as a couple there. We both hold Irish passports and were born and educated here.

Both of us have worked our whole adult lives and contributed to this state and others during our working lives, although far from retiring as we are only in our early forties it’s not just purely for monitory reasons that we have these legal documents but as safeguards that our wishes are carried out.

It is not unreasonable to imagine that a family member on either side could contest the wills. Certainly if the other partner was incapacitated due to illness and as we are not recognised in the eyes of the Irish law as next of kin, a family member is quite within their right to step in and contest said legal documents.

In our case this is wholey unlikely as we both belong to very supportive families.
    I ask should it come down to the fact your family is supportive? Not all of us are so lucky.

Neither of us have ever wanted to start a family or adopt children but it was not uncommon when we lived in London to meet same sex couples who have, by what ever means. Those children need to be protected as well as the parents in the eyes of the law, as any other family unit is. This is not some new phenomena, as a lot of their children are in there early twenties and not all tots.

I left this county as an unwanted guilt ridden teenager and have arrived back a much different person but still with little or no laws there to protect me and mine.

We’re are not asking for anything more or less, in the eyes of the legislators, then any other person in Ireland who wishes to commit to a relationship with their chosen partner.

I have little to add to this at this stage but my own experience in life for whatever thats worth. :)

OT...but surely not the same person?!

OT...but surely not the same person?!

It is im afraid!! and don't call me Shirley:D

I really dont think they think that

well then why do they say it???

well then why do they say it???

Probably as a joke,assuming they say it at all.Its not always easy for somebody to know how to react to a homosexual.This isnt ignorance,its human nature.

It is im afraid!! and don't call me Shirley:D

But...but...the grammar...the accurate punctuation...how?! Do you have a comprehensible/imcomprehensible on/off switch when it comes to posting?!

But...but...the grammar...the accurate punctuation...how?! Do you have a comprehensible/imcomprehensible on/off switch when it comes to posting?!

Or a "copy and paste" facility for the good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

LadyE wrote: »
    I've just been told, that last night (during Ghey pride) there was bomb scare at the George..

Delta Goodman was on stage and screamed for everyone to "GET THE FOOK OUT..GO AS FAR AWAY FROM HERE AS YOU CAN?!":eek:

Then the place was evacuated, then when the place was checked everyone was allowed back in for free drink.:D

Was anyone there to say whether it was true..?

So funny :D:D:D

i completly agree its hilarious:)

LOL… Well I do remember earlier, getting a slap on the wrist from someone, for my poor paragraph construction and I decided rather then spouting out a lot of one line retorts in a very defensive mode, that I should calm myself down and write from the heart on a subject that is very much a part of my life.

It’s called coppin the F**K on and making your point clearly and in calm manor.

Do I get a medal for growing up? :)

And im going to ignor the muppet below your comments again if thats the most constructive thing they can say.

But what you've just written is poor again. Must be copy and paste or I have no faith in my detecting abilities!

Do you have a comprehensible/imcomprehensible on/off switch when it comes to posting?!
    I know I do. It's called alcohol or this early in the day, frustration.:D

Probably as a joke,assuming they say it at all.Its not always easy for somebody to know how to react to a homosexual.This isnt ignorance,its human nature.

right

But what you've just written is poor again. Must be copy and paste or I have no faith in my detecting abilities!

+1.
    Completely different style of writing and the "story" sounds made up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'm getting married and i don't plan to have kids
    nothing to do with tax breaks its about the romance and the fact she wants to be my wife

now why shouldn't gays get the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Nobody gets married now we all cohabit maybe 30/40 years ago it was the done deal but now there's no need for it but if anyone wants to get married let them!

Originally Posted by Degsy viewpost.gif

actually i am almost positive i mentioned love- cant be bothered checking though!

and why shouldn't we go on about tax- we pay tax just like you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

and why shouldn't we go on about tax- we pay tax just like you

As has been pointed out above, there's good reason for straight married couples being given tax benefits. As it stands, there's no reason for a gay couple to get such tax benefits so until a: gay marraige and b: Adoption of kids by a gay couple become legal it's a non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rb wrote: »
    Those few who don't want kids will either
    a: Find someone else who doesn't want kids

So there's no reason why, if these people get married, they should get tax breaks?
    Rb wrote: »
    It'll generally be the latter and even then when a happens a lot won't bother marrying as they can't see the point in it.

Is there any research to support this? It seems to be an assumption really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Here is something off GCN about how Lesbian partners are treated in hospital!!
    http://www.gcn.ie/feature.aspx?articleid=539&sectionid=14

+1.
    Completely different style of writing and the "story" sounds made up too.

The story is one of my life and your accusations of me copying and pasting is just a step too far, as far as im concerned. If there's an iota of any evidence that this took place, then prove it.

Im inviting a moderator to step in and sort this out for once and all because I don’t like been accused of lying. Just because you were unable to confront the truth of my piece, then you make personal attacks against my integrity.

If you care to, go back and look at anything else I've written and Google it!!!!
    I don’t do copy and paste and if I do quote I correctly use quotation marks.

It’s a cheep shot calling me a liar.
    What I've written was about my life and how dare you try and rob that from me. :mad:

Moderator please step in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

gcgirl wrote: »

that is absolutely awful

anti-gay city??

gcgirl wrote: »

Ah yes,GCN is well-known for its levelheadedness and impartiality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement