Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVR Repair CCTV

Options
  • 26-01-2015 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Im looking for some info,help and advice.
    I installed a home cctv system to my home after being burgled.

All was operating perfect i was able to monitor it through an App on my phone etc etc till one day for whatever reason there was no picture on the main monitor it was connected to.

The DVR was running like normal i unplugged it and rebooted it but still mot recognised by the monitor.

All cameras still have power to them the DVR appears to be operating but without any picture or connection to the monitor i dont know whats going on as i am unable to check anything.

All helpful suggestions are welcome alot of nervous family members without cctv operating properly.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What type of connection are you using to the monitor?
    Check these connections. Also check the right input is selected on the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Are you still able to see the cameras on your phone app?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭csully397

wait4me wrote: »
    Are you still able to see the cameras on your phone app?

Im not no..

Let's try to eliminate a few things first.

Has your IP address changed recently? If so the details in your app may be outdated. From your computer go to whatismyip.com and check your IP address. Is this the IP address that you have in the details for the app?

Is your DVR still attached to your network? If you know how to log into your modem, check that out. The IP address of the DVR will be the one with the open port (perhaps 80).

Do you have access to another monitor? Does your DVR have a HDMI socket - if so you could (to stop the argument at home this is only temporary and for testing purposes only) hook up your TV to it.

Have a go with that much and I'm sure that KK will be back with some suggestions.

Let's try to eliminate a few things first.

Has your IP address changed recently? If so the details in your app may be outdated. From your computer go to whatismyip.com and check your IP address. Is this the IP address that you have in the details for the app?

Is your DVR still attached to your network? If you know how to log into your modem, check that out. The IP address of the DVR will be the one with the open port (perhaps 80).

Do you have access to another monitor? Does your DVR have a HDMI socket - if so you could (to stop the argument at home this is only temporary and for testing purposes only) hook up your TV to it.

Have a go with that much and I'm sure that KK will be back with some suggestions.

Thanks for the reply firstly.

My IP address has not changed. The online connection is only if i need to monitor if im out via phone tablet etc.

I am unable to view anything via the main monitor

Ive tried different monitors, TVs and new cables etc and still the device does not appear to be recognised on any of the devices even if i plug it into my laptop it doesnt get recognised.
    What should appear on the screen is pictures of the 8 cameras operating but nothing at all.
    Or if i reset the system the login screen but there is just a blank screen like when nothing is connected to that port.
    Which makes me think it has to be something more sinister

Absolute nightmare is putting it mildly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Are you connecting via vga or bnc?

Before we suspect sinister - any chance you could have a look at the modem to see whats connected up? It might tell us if the DVR is dead/alive or lost......

Also have a look at the login details for your app.

Then on your computer try http://(your IP address):(the open port for the DVR) without the brackets.

Thanks for reply...

The modem is operating fine.....it connects to the DVR directly via LAN cable.
    But with that aside the system does not appear to be showing up on the monitor screen anymore.
    What i want to figure out is why there is no sugnal between the DVR and the main monitor.
    The Internet connection is only optional if i choose to use the app to view if i am out.
    It is so frustrating should be simple but its not..

Are you connecting via vga or bnc?

It can be VGA or HDMI was originally connected via VGA.

KoolKid wrote: »
    What type of connection are you using to the monitor?
    Check these connections. Also check the right input is selected on the monitor.

All of that has been verified...

• Advertisement

Sorry if you are wondering why all these questions on the modem etc.

I am trying to figure out if the DVR is fecked! There may be no signal to the monitor because a) the monitor is broken; b) the cable is bad or c) the DVR is not working.

We know that you are getting no output to ANY monitor so a) looks unlikely and similarily b) looks unlikely. So now we have to figure out if c) is likely.

Hence I am trying to determine if the DVR is working. One way is to see if you can connect to it via your app/modem.

csully397 wrote: »
    The Internet connection is only optional if i choose to use the app to view if i am out.

Don't go out to try it :) but see if you can connect!

Sorry if you are wondering why all these questions on the modem etc.

I am trying to figure out if the DVR is fecked! There may be no signal to the monitor because a) the monitor is broken; b) the cable is bad or c) the DVR is not working.

We know that you are getting no output to ANY monitor so a) looks unlikely and similarily b) looks unlikely. So now we have to figure out if c) is likely.

Hence I am trying to determine if the DVR is working. One way is to see if you can connect to it via your app/modem.

Ive switched monitors ive also tried connecting to all tvs in the house...
    Ive tried 3 different VGA cables and endless HDMI too..
    Which as you say leaves us stripped down to the DVR...
    Nightmare

Don't go out to try it :) but see if you can connect!

No connection whatsoever

So no output to any monitor and no uplink to the network.
    If you power the DVR down and on again, is there any noise such as a disc spinning? Any lights showing anywhere on the unit itself?

So no output to any monitor and no uplink to the network.
    If you power the DVR down and on again, is there any noise such as a disc spinning? Any lights showing anywhere on the unit itself?

No output to any monitor at all
    No uplink to network

There is the noise as if the hard drive is booting up when powered down and on again.
    All lights showing normal eg. Power light and recording light are on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds like it's knackered. If you have a spare drive I would try that first before binning it.

What brand of DVR is it?

What brand of DVR is it?

Its called an ELECCCTV ECloud DVR

If you have a spare drive I would try that first before binning it.
    ^^^As fred funk says.

Disconnect from power; open it up; disconnect the hard drive and change with a spare hard drive if you have one. Then reverse what I just told you - plug it in and power it up. See what happens then. If its not fully knackered it might find that the drive (that you inserted) is not formatted etc and hopefully give you an error message. If you get that far there may be hope........ Good luck

PS It's probably a 3.5 inch drive

• Advertisement

csully397: Any update on this?

Advertisement