Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Vanolder wrote: »
    If we can get 10 points from our next four including beating Spurs, I will start to believe. At the moment I refuse to and think we will hit in and around the 60 mark and finish 6th. If we can consistently play like we did Sunday, we will push right to end, but we haven't been consistent all season so it's a worry. Our defence is too poor not to have a few slip ups and I can't see that changing.

This is the realistic view, yes.

Even being quite optimistic, it's hard to see us breaking past 66 or 67 which would probably leave us a little short.

But with those fixtures you never know...

I said at the start of the season that I expected between 60 - 67 points and that anything over 63 would be pretty decent and progress, so lets hope we can at least finish in the upper regions of this scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

daithijjj wrote: »
    If i could be arsed to go and look for the match thread on boards im 100% confident the feeling was with most people that if we could beat Arsenal we still had a great chance of 4th, it died that day and we were very unlucky. I may be wrong but i think there's a bit of bending of the details in your assessment there. If we had beat Arsenal (how we lost that game i will never know) we would have had 42 points. Arsenal and Chelsea would have had 46 and we had a game in hand. So im sorry, but that was a good chance at 4th in my book. It didnt materialise.

And i doubt it will this year either.

So what you meant was if we won the game against Arsenal, and if we had won our game in hand as well, then we would have been in a position to say we were in with a great shout of competing for 4th place after 26 games last season.

For a guy who was quick to say that folks should stick to the actual facts, you are throwing a lot of ifs and maybes in there.

The actual facts are that we were not in with a good chance of 4th place in March last season as you claimed because the actual facts are that were were 10 points behind 4th place come the first Saturday of March and we were 13 points behind 4th come the final game weekend of March.

The ifs and maybes of what might of been that season are worthless, just as the ifs and maybes of games already played this season are equally worthless.

But if, and there is that word again, you want to say that the potential outcomes of a past situation represent proof that there was a good chance of getting 4th, then surely a person could argue something similar about where the team is now and be pretty much as spot on in that opinion as you are in your one.

Personally I disagreed with your comment that we were in with a good shout of 4th last March simply because the actual facts shown in the league table (which can be seen on premierleague.com) from that date show we were not.

Ifs and maybes for something that has not happened are more valid imho than ifs and maybes for something that is already set in stone because at least with the former there is a chance, no matter how slim it can happen, whereas the latter cannot be changed.

I just think that last season's 4th place challenge is being looked at through rose tinted glasses as by the 26th game last season we were dead in the water and it at no point from then onwards did we even look like getting back into it even when other teams had slip ups.

Of course if you happen to be in possession of a fully functional time machine that operates more along the lines of a Victor Von Doom machine rather than a Looper style machine, then I retract my comments and fully expect to be deleted from the timestream. In the event of the above happening, I hope that my deletion causes some kind of feedback in the linear timestream and wipes the whole lot of ya out.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well said Sir!

Retrospective foresight is not to be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭klose

Suso is playing with spain u21s tonight and theres a rake of lads playing for the england u21s from us tonight aswell, might watch the england game myself if i can find a stream.

I'll guess Suso will be lucky to get a start unless its a development game.

I don't often comment on here, and probably do a lot more lurking than anything else, but the same theme seems to keep cropping up about the pro kenny versus pro rodgers!

Kenny is now gone so I don't really see the relevance of the constant comparisons between Rodgers and Kenny now, the fact of the matter is there were many games we could have and should have won under Kennys rein just as there have been under Rodgers this year, the positions are not that different, although I personally think that 4th place is a step too far for us this year.

Kenny should never have been sacked and at least deserved another season to turn things round.

I think Brendan has showed enough to be given the chance of another season and see how we progress, and then can be judged at that stage.

To be fair I don't think Daithi or I were trying to have a Kenny vs Rodgers debate. It was more a case of me disagreeing that we were still in with a shout of 4th in March of last season, and given that come the weekend we will be on the exact same amount of league games played as we were at the startof March last season, it is more a case of looking to see where the team has improved/disimproved rather than directly comparing the current manager to our last manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I wish people would stop getting ahead of themselves. When was the last time we won nine or 10 games in a row? Let's just take it one game at a time (cliche alert) I remember we had a couple of good results then lost to Villa at home. West Brom at home is going to be tough, let's get the 3 points our form deserves and move on to the next game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Good for us that we dont play till Monday with everyone away on international duty - but having to play then on Thursday away in Russia is an absolute joke. The FA should have moved the WB game to the Sunday to give their own teams the best chance in a European competition.
    Im assuming next week will be something like -

play Mon night,
    travel Tuesday,
    train Wednesday,
    play thurs night,
    travel back late that night or Fri morning,
    train Saturday
    play Sunday.

That is gonna take its toll id imagine - WB and Swansea are very tough to beat and that schedule just makes things harder. Have to get 3 points V WestBrom before the travelling starts.

I wish people would stop getting ahead of themselves. When was the last time we won nine or 10 games in a row? Let's just take it one game at a time (cliche alert) I remember we had a couple of good results then lost to Villa at home. West Brom at home is going to be tough, let's get the 3 points our form deserves and move on to the next game

Exactly...I was saying this last night....a 10 game winning streak is very hard come by in the PL by any team* least not a team as inconsistent as ours. Only the top 2 at the moment capable of a run like that.

*I am not backing this up with any stats just a gut feeling!

• Advertisement

gafferino wrote: »
    Good for us that we dont play till Monday with everyone away on international duty - but having to play then on Thursday away in Russia is an absolute joke. The FA should have moved the WB game to the Sunday to give their own teams the best chance in a European competition.

play Mon night,
    travel Tuesday,
    train Wednesday,
    play thurs night,
    train Saturday
    play Sunday.

That is gonna take its toll id imagine - WB and Swansea are very tough to beat and that schedule just makes things harder. Have to get 3 points V WestBrom before the travelling starts.

Id say itll be like the anzi game were we practically send the reserves, maybe hendo downing borini might travel but i doubt alot pf the first team will play, anzi were far from impressive in their home game, only beating us one nil and they're ahead lf zenit in the russian league so well probably do it again?
    mike65 wrote: »
    I'll guess Suso will be lucky to get a start unless its a development game.

Aye, he only came on as a sub in their last game but if their national team is anything to go by its pretty good going to be getting a look in t the u21s for the lad.

play Mon night,
    travel Tuesday,
    train Wednesday,
    play thurs night,
    train Saturday
    play Sunday.

I'm assuming that as the first leg is away it'll be a weakened squad and hope to keep it to nothing worse than a 1 goal deficit.

Borini and Yesil, as the attack with Allen, Shelvey, Assaidi and Sterling across the middle, Wisdom, Skrtel, Coates, Robinson at the back. Which is the back line agin Oldham but they'll probably do better in European competition given the refereeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yep...I feel slightly queasy every time I hear/read that "Liverpool are still in with a shout of 4th".

Keep getting flashbacks of Graeme Souness wittering on about not giving up on the title race until it became 'mathematically impossible' when it was clear to everyone that it was done and dusted.

In theory we could still finish 13 points ahead of ManU (assuming we win all of our games and they lose all of theirs) - possible but unlikely, and only slightly less unlikely than Chelsea, Spurs Arsenal and Everton all spectacularly collapsing and us going on a run of form not seen in 25 years.

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm assuming that as the first leg is away it'll be a weakened squad and hope to keep it to nothing worse than a 1 goal deficit.

Borini and Yesil, as the attack with Allen, Shelvey, Assaidi and Sterling across the middle, Wisdom, Skrtel, Coates, Robinson at the back. Which is the back line agin Oldham but they'll probably do better in European competition given the refereeing.

Yeah maybe.....not sure though I think Rodgers wants to do well in the competition. Id say he will bring the likes of Suarez and Gerrard for the bench at least.
    Would mind seeing a second choice team going out there and choking them and limiting the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

klose wrote: »
    Id say itll be like the anzi game were we practically send the reserves, maybe hendo downing borini might travel but i doubt alot pf the first team will play, anzi were far from impressive in their home game, only beating us one nil and they're ahead lf zenit in the russian league so well probably do it again?

Not sure Zenit will be too happy if we leave the big guns behind!!

7FCDF467-2372-46C5-AC71-79E4748F0CA0-1679-0000022AC81F6F86.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Didn't know Glen Whelan played for Zenit. Good for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭Cartman78

No sign of Sterling, Sturridge or Wisdom on that poster either....

Gerrard looks slightly pasty and worried

Just looking at Zenit stats, given the massive injection of money and the signings they look pretty average in many regards. In the CL they only won by one goal at most and got thumped away to Malaga. In the Premier League their most impressive recent win came with the help of two red cards. They haven't played a competitive game since before Christmas and the recent warm weather friendlies have been nothing to write home about. Add in the issues with Hulk and the manager and I reckon Liverpool have a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Surely Europa should be by far the main focus now? Dont understand how the comp is held in such low esteem in England. Spanish teams like A Madrid, Bilbao and Seville discarded their league runs by completely prioritising the Europa in recent years, such is the importance of this competition over there, if its good enough for the best league in the world it should be good enough for premier league teams.

Attitude towards cup competitions itt have been bizarre especially since Champions league qualification has been realistically out of reach for some time. Almost like some people are desperately clinging to the hope of a better points total than last season so they can put a "progress" tag on the season compared to last, but a long cup run in Europe and the experience that brings would be far more advantageous to the young squad than finishing in 6th with seven more points than last season.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Surely Europa should be by far the main focus now? Dont understand how the comp is held in such low esteem in England. Spanish teams like A Madrid, Bilbao and Seville discarded their league runs by completely prioritising the Europa in recent years, such is the importance of this competition over there, if its good enough for the best league in the world it should be good enough for premier league teams.

Attitude towards cup competitions itt have been bizarre especially since Champions league qualification has been realistically out of reach for some time. Almost like some people are desperately clinging to the hope of a better points total than last season so they can put a "progress" tag on the season compared to last, but a long cup run in Europe and the experience that brings would be far more advantageous to the young squad than finishing in 6th with seven more points than last season.

I think going far in the EL would be fantastic - and to win would be brilliant. Winning any competition is brilliant and the Europa League is a really tough competition to win travelling all over "Europe".
    I dont think we are not focusing on the EL its just top 4 is the holy grail for us in recent years.

Try telling a Prem League club owner that a tilt at a competition that has no reward other than itself is worth maybe 4/5 places in said league!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sending the reserves largely to Russia would b madness. We might as well just forfeit. I hate seeing us not try to win any game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I was pessimistic about finishing 4th even after the Norwich match, and having not won against Arsenal or City and seen the paucity of the squad on show at Oldham and Mansfield, there isn't a run of fixtures possible that would get me excited about our chances.

I recall one of the lads off the Anfield Wrap (Guttman I think it was) speaking after the West Ham match about our easy run up to Christmas, saying that he couldn't see us being anything more than a couple of points off 4th by the time the Man United match rolled around. Cue a ridiculous hammering by Aston Villa.

Our inability to get over conceding the first goal against the run of play, our propensity to panic when toothless dominance gives the opponents hope and then confidence, and years now of profligacy in front of goal have not gone away because we took advantage of poor defending at Arsenal and managed two great strikes in a good performance against City. Sometimes I just can't believe how quickly some people forget how maddeningly inconsistent we are. So many players in that squad are their own worst enemies, and I think the people setting themselves up for a fall by getting exited about a push for 4th based on a fixture list when we've won 1 of our last 5 are much the same.

5starpool wrote: »
    Sending the reserves largely to Russia would b madness. We might as well just forfeit. I hate seeing us not try to win any game.

We could send a "weakened" team that consisted of Jones, Wisdom, Skrtel, Carragher, Robinson, Allen, Henderson, Shelvey, Downing, Borini, and Suso.

With the likes of Suarez and co on the bench if needed.

Kess73 wrote: »
    We could send a "weakened" team that consisted of Jones, Wisdom, Skrtel, Carragher, Robinson, Allen, Henderson, Shelvey, Downing, Borini, and Suso.

I hope it is something like this - wouldnt mind seeing Gerrard left at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kess73 wrote: »

I think half the battle is the long haul flights and general travel. I'd rather we left Suarez at home tbh.

Or else he needs to get taken off any time we're winning by 2 or more goals against weak teams at Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

We should be able to send out a decent team to Zenit

Reina/Jones
    Wisdom Skrtel Coates Enrique/Robinson
    Allen Henderson Shelvey
    Sterling Borini Downing/Coutinho

Something along those lines would be fine, maybe have Saurez or Sturridge starting instead of one of the front 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ok, seriously, lets not start getting upset when our players refuse to be drawn on transfer speculation.

His actual quotes;
    "When I sign a contract I fulfil it and I have signed with Liverpool until 2016," he said, before adding: "Barcelona is the best club in the world.

"I know what it means because I trained there as a player and as a person."

If he was on form and had said anything other than the above, people would be freaking out. It works both ways, and to be honest I'd rather if all players kept quiet about transfer stuff like this.

I know his time at LFC may be drawing to a close, but lets not forget that he has contributed more than most in his time with the club. He deserves to be treated with massive respect by all LFC fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

If I had any confidence in us holding onto a lead I would say send out a full strength squad and try to put the game to bed early.

Since that seems unlikely, we will probably have to do a bit of shuffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If I had any confidence in us holding onto a lead I would say send out a full strength squad and try to put the game to bed early.

Since that seems unlikely, we will probably have to do a bit of shuffling.

Even with a full strength team I would never expect us to put a team like Zenit to bed early.

• Advertisement

Even with a full strength team I would never expect us to put a team like Zenit to bed early.

What may be in our favour is the fact that Zenit will not have played a competitive game since mid December as the Russian league is in the middle of it's mid Dec to Mid March winter break.

The games against us are the only competive games they will play in that three month spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭mormank

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I was pessimistic about finishing 4th even after the Norwich match, and having not won against Arsenal or City and seen the paucity of the squad on show at Oldham and Mansfield, there isn't a run of fixtures possible that would get me excited about our chances.

I recall one of the lads off the Anfield Wrap (Guttman I think it was) speaking after the West Ham match about our easy run up to Christmas, saying that he couldn't see us being anything more than a couple of points off 4th by the time the Man United match rolled around. Cue a ridiculous hammering by Aston Villa.

Our inability to get over conceding the first goal against the run of play, our propensity to panic when toothless dominance gives the opponents hope and then confidence, and years now of profligacy in front of goal have not gone away because we took advantage of poor defending at Arsenal and managed two great strikes in a good performance against City. Sometimes I just can't believe how quickly some people forget how maddeningly inconsistent we are. So many players in that squad are their own worst enemies, and I think the people setting themselves up for a fall by getting exited about a push for 4th based on a fixture list when we've won 1 of our last 5 are much the same.

Eh, we got over it on Sunday.

Im quietly confident well well qualify for the next round of the europa, the second leg is at home and weve no game the following weekend so we can go hell for leather for it. Hopefully swansea will have one eye on the league cup final when we play them aswell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

With the two new players cup tied in the Europa League it should be Suarez and Borini sent out to play, we should play to win every game, it may be a minor cup in term of Champions League, but if we have a chance of winning it, we should go for it. I agree with leaving Gerrard at home, he can't be playing every game

With the two new players cup tied in the Europa League it should be Suarez and Borini sent out to play, we should play to win every game, it may be a minor cup in term of Champions League, but if we have a chance of winning it, we should go for it. I agree with leaving Gerrard at home, he can't be playing every game

I think we will go out to win it - in fairness Rodgers has never done it any other way. We had more than enough on the field to beat Oldham but such is sport. Rodgers will go there with a team to get a result. Defo think Gerrard should be left at home.

hmmmmm could see Liverpool sniffing around Begovic if the Reina situation persists.

Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic says he expects to be sold in the summer, but has played down reports he has already agreed to join Manchester United.

Begovic has established himself as one of the Premier League's most consistent keepers since joining from Portsmouth three years ago and is closing on 100 appearances for Stoke.

He has been mooted as a replacement for David de Gea at Old Trafford and there have also been claims that Manchester Citywant to sign the 25-year-old as a back-up for Joe Hart.
    The Bosnia international insists he has not made a decision on his future, but believes Stoke's recent signing of Jack Butland will lead to his departure from the Britannia Stadium at the end of the season.

"I believe that Stoke didn't buy Butland to be a reserve so I think I'm going to be sold in the summer."
    Asmir Begovic
    Quotes of the week
    "I read in the papers that I said no to City and yes to United," Begovic told Oslobodjenje. "But the truth is, I haven't decided on anything.

"I didn't say yes or no to anybody. I haven't signed anything - no contract, no pre-contract. But I believe that Stoke didn't buy Butland to be a reserve so I think I'm going to be sold in the summer.

"To whom? I can't move to a smaller club and I also know that some top clubs are interested in me. They are also the only ones who can afford the fee.

"Now I'm just happy that January is over. It was a hard month for us, so many rumours. Now, we can focus on our games again."

England keeper Butland will link up with Stoke in the summer after the teenager was loaned back to Birmingham for the rest of the season last week.

hmmmmm could see Liverpool sniffing around Begovic if the Reina situation persists.

Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic says he expects to be sold in the summer, but has played down reports he has already agreed to join Manchester United.

Begovic has established himself as one of the Premier League's most consistent keepers since joining from Portsmouth three years ago and is closing on 100 appearances for Stoke.

He has been mooted as a replacement for David de Gea at Old Trafford and there have also been claims that Manchester Citywant to sign the 25-year-old as a back-up for Joe Hart.
    The Bosnia international insists he has not made a decision on his future, but believes Stoke's recent signing of Jack Butland will lead to his departure from the Britannia Stadium at the end of the season.

"I believe that Stoke didn't buy Butland to be a reserve so I think I'm going to be sold in the summer."
    Asmir Begovic
    Quotes of the week
    "I read in the papers that I said no to City and yes to United," Begovic told Oslobodjenje. "But the truth is, I haven't decided on anything.

"I didn't say yes or no to anybody. I haven't signed anything - no contract, no pre-contract. But I believe that Stoke didn't buy Butland to be a reserve so I think I'm going to be sold in the summer.

"To whom? I can't move to a smaller club and I also know that some top clubs are interested in me. They are also the only ones who can afford the fee.

"Now I'm just happy that January is over. It was a hard month for us, so many rumours. Now, we can focus on our games again."

England keeper Butland will link up with Stoke in the summer after the teenager was loaned back to Birmingham for the rest of the season last week.

Doubt fergie would go for him, de gea and lindegaard are two good keepers in particular de gea. Spent a ton on de gea so hes not gonna sell him unless they get a ridiculous offer which they're not. He could sell lindegaard but begovic and de gea are both too good to be playing second fiddle to each other.

Would be a good buy for us though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I don't watch much Stoke, and only know Begovic from Fantasy Football.

Is he worth the purchase if he is being sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Begovic would be a more reliable replacement for Reina as he is, but IMO he wouldn't give us what Pepe was able to offer in his prime. It will be a long time before we see a keeper like that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'd like to see a full strength team for Zenit tbh.

Imagine the boost it would give the supporters and the club if we could deliver more silverware this season.

It would be fantastic, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ye're nearly at 10K again, thats 10k posts in 6 weeks.

Locking this up, new thread on the way.

Woops :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement