Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending my wireless signel to the bottem of the guarden

Options
  • 10-07-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi My parents live in Wexford. They can only access Eircom for broadband.

They get quite good Wi-Fi inside their house, but as my dad built the house, he put aluminium insulation in the dry lined walls, All the dry lined walls contain a mettle mesh to prevent plaster cracking,

This has the effect of creating a space where nearly every type of signal cant get in or out of the house.

As soon as you walk out of the house bang the Wi-Fi is gone. Is their any kind of antenna which I can put outside the house, which will give them a signal outside the house?

I have an old eircom rooter which I could setup as a wireless access point, but this will not survive outdoors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Yes, you can put up an outdoor antenna, these can cost you anywhere from 50euro-500euro depending on the brand/quality. A network cable (suitable for outdoor use) would have to be run back to the router.

They're generally referred to as Wireless Outdoor CPE.
    Personally, I'd recommend Ubiquiti, have had good experience with them. TP-Link also do a version of them, and would be cheaper than Ubiquiti.

If you're not mounting them to a pole, you can buy arms/brackets for them to mount to flat surfaces.

*edit*
    I forgot to mention, these devices are POE, meaning you don't need an outdoor power supply, but they will need a power socket near the router. (They generally come with POE adapaters). The device is supplied power over the cat5 cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'd second Ubiquiti as well, I use their unifi products at home and they have a few that are specifically for outside. The controller is really easy to setup and will run nearly anywhere. I've mine running on a raspberry pi. You could run into some issues down the line if you are not technically minded. The APs are linked to a specific controller, so sometime in the future if you lose access to the machine where the controller is running then you will need to ssh into the AP itself and run some commands to free it for a new controller. Not a biggie, but just something to be aware of if you are setting it up for your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

jester77 wrote: »
    I'd second Ubiquiti as well, I use their unifi products at home and they have a few that are specifically for outside. The controller is really easy to setup and will run nearly anywhere. I've mine running on a raspberry pi. You could run into some issues down the line if you are not technically minded. The APs are linked to a specific controller, so sometime in the future if you lose access to the machine where the controller is running then you will need to ssh into the AP itself and run some commands to free it for a new controller. Not a biggie, but just something to be aware of if you are setting it up for your parents.

If they use the the likes of the Ubiquit NanoStations these are as easy to setup as an access point, no need for controllers and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I have an old eircom rooter which I could setup as a wireless access point, but this will not survive outdoors.

Just set that up and put it on the window sill (indoors )

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martinosullivan

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Yes, you can put up an outdoor antenna, these can cost you anywhere from 50euro-500euro depending on the brand/quality. A network cable (suitable for outdoor use) would have to be run back to the router.

They're generally referred to as Wireless Outdoor CPE.
    Personally, I'd recommend Ubiquiti, have had good experience with them. TP-Link also do a version of them, and would be cheaper than Ubiquiti.

If you're not mounting them to a pole, you can by arms/brackets for them to mount to flat surfaces.

*edit*
    I forgot to mention, these devices are POE, meaning you don't need an outdoor power supply, but they will need a power socket near the router. (They generally come with POE adapaters). The device is supplied power over the cat5 cable.

Thank you very much for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martinosullivan

jester77 wrote: »

I have some experience with Linux, Much more with AS400 also known as I series, Would you be able to reply with the commands?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Slaacer

I set up office in my workshop which is a good 15m from the house and I barely got a signal - I have a UPC box. But I got a signal extender first from tp-link which was very poor and then from netgear 2000rpt which I put at the back window of the kitchen and that did the trick. I now have 30 Mbps down and 10ish up.

it cost me 60 and few mins to install to sync it with the UPC wifi and done.

if you were looking for another solution.

Advertisement