Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating old Cablelink box

Options
  • 02-09-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

We just bought a new lcd tv for our bedroom and when I went to connect it to the aerial, I noticed the box on the wall was an old Cablelink one.

I suspected it had never been used and when I tried it with the new tv, there was no recognised signal as I suspected.

Does anyone know who I need to contact / what I need to do to get this box activated?

We have Sky + for our tv downstairs. Does this mean I need to contact them about this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

I think you have too if you want to reuse it for the TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Cablelink are now owned by UPC. If you want to get it activated you'd have to contact them. They will charge you to use it though. :)

If you already have a UPC subscription, have you tried tuning the TV? Did you get the TV here or UK / internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Looks like you'll have to get a UPC account to be able to watch it. But you could run a cable from your dish, assuming you have quad lnb and only 2 are being used now, then get a FTA sat box. May be a good bit of work involved in this if you want to use the outlet on your wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Thanks for the responses guys. I spoke to both Sky and NTL and it seems that I do have to subscribe with one of them to be able to use the tv.
    I find this kind of hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys. I spoke to both Sky and NTL and it seems that I do have to subscribe with one of them to be able to use the tv.
    I find this kind of hard to believe.

You can get a FTA sat box and run a cable from the dish to the room, you won't have the 4 Irish stations but they can be gotten with rabbits ear, you'll have most of the UK channels and loads of bad. That's provided that Sky still use quad LMBs for Sky+ installs. No need for a seperate subscription, but Sky won't tell you that as they are out to make as much off you as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement