Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe disposal or old computer/laptop

Options
  • 13-08-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi

Are there any companies or organisations in Dublin/Ireland to whom you can give old computer/laptop too and they will recycle it safely in terms of reformatting it for re-usage or for safe disposal off so that no one would be able to get the data off it

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Take out the hard drive, drill it through and whack it with a hammer if you don't want it. Then hand over the rest of the computer with total peace of mind.
    If you do want the hard drive then re-use it yourself, slot it into a dock or into a desktop as extra storage (I have three hard drives in mine, two of them from old laptops I owned and passed on.)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

excollier wrote: »
    Take out the hard drive, drill it through

Has anyone actually done this? I tried to drill through some drives last year, and I was able to get through the first one OK, but when I got to the 2nd one, the bit just didn't make any progress - the spot where I was drilling even glowed red briefly from the friction heat of the drill. I was using bits that were supposed to drill through metal, but I just couldn't make any progress. (I had a box of about 12 or 15 drives to deal with).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boot a CD or USB with DBAN on it. Run 5 or 6 passes. Nobody is getting data off it after that. Then just hand it in to Camara say.

If you like I think they secure erase all drives they receive, so you can leave it to them if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Bayberry wrote: »
    Has anyone actually done this? I tried to drill through some drives last year, and I was able to get through the first one OK, but when I got to the 2nd one, the bit just didn't make any progress - the spot where I was drilling even glowed red briefly from the friction heat of the drill. I was using bits that were supposed to drill through metal, but I just couldn't make any progress. (I had a box of about 12 or 15 drives to deal with).

Sledgehammer works too. After that PC World or Harvey Normans will take it in for recycling for free. You won't need to purchase anything from them.

Advertisement