Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reuse of plants pots, good idea or not?

Options
  • 09-04-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Over the winter and for the last few months iv grown some oak and other tree seeds.. they need to be potted on as they were sown in plant cells.. is it ok to pot them into larger pots that other shrubs recently came out of or would this stunt the seedlings?? bad idea or is it ok??

Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of course you can re-use plant pots. I feel obliged to tell you that you should wash them first (but I rarely do). Don't use just peat compost, use a mixture of soil and compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

It it true that they can pass disease onto plants??

Theoretically, yes. I have never worried about it though, especially plastic pots.

Ok thanks for your comment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

If you are concerned you can wash the pots in a diluted jeyes fluid and stand to dry.

• Advertisement

Great idea.. i will do that :) thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I always wash my pots , I like to be on the safe side.

Going back to your original question OP, yes, you would plant on into plant pots for a couple of seasons, rather than put the seedlings straight into the ground (though you could do that, but its easy to lose track of them).

Advertisement