Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco, Hitachi 500Gb portable drive - 39.95

Options
  • 22-06-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Picked up one of these in Tesco extra naas today, not sure if there in all stores.

Hitachi simpledrive mini, 500GB , 39.99

nice portable drive , ( Y cable usb powered )

(Amazon showing up at £51.89 from Rl Supplies) + postage.

Comments

Where would one find such a device in a Tesco store?

I know where the TVs and DVDs are, but I have never seen USB sticks, hard drives or other computer peripherals in store?!

Would be quite interested in pickung up the above drive if I could find it in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Dman001 wrote: »

Looking at that, it has two slots on the back.. Does it need to be plugged in? Or is the Tesco one just USB powered (looking for something light).

I must take a trip up to Tesco, tonight, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭concubar

In naas extra near the tv section
    there are a few shelves of computer acc., printers, etc,
    i assume store layout is different in most stores
    and would estimate it would need to be an extra store.
    good look in your search;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭concubar

yes it has a power jack at the back, no power supply supplied
    (optional extra).

it is usb powered, Y splitter type , sometimes one usb plug is ok but it is safer to have 2 usb pluged in.

I have used it on usb , its fine, no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ive one .. picked one up online for a similar price recently. Nice size, usb powered.

concubar wrote: »
    In naas extra near the tv section
    there are a few shelves of computer acc., printers, etc,
    i assume store layout is different in most stores
    and would estimate it would need to be an extra store.
    good look in your search;)

Cheers.

Sure it's only ten minutes away, I may head up and take a mooch. I'll let ye know how I get on.

EDIT: It's an Extra store, too, so hopefully it'll have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Do let us know..might get one myself too tomorrow then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

saw one in tesco edenderry (not extra) but it was hidding out at the customer service desk

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

Thanks concubar, just took a quick spin up there and got one from Naas, couldn't see any more but it is always worth asking in case they are put away somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Artane have them in stock, behind the desk too.

Just back from Drogheda. Only one left now on the shelf though. Took me abou ten minutes to figure out where the hard drives where, though.

There's also a 4.3" hard case for GPS in the same aisle closer to the TVs. Fits the drive grand, and only costs €6. Not too bad; a 500gb portable drive and case for less than €50!

img70191.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just back from Drogheda. Only one left now on the shelf though. Took me abou ten minutes to figure out where the hard drives where, though.

There's also a 4.3" hard case for GPS in the same aisle closer to the TVs. Fits the drive grand, and only costs €6. Not too bad; a 500gb portable drive and case for less than €50!

img70191.jpg

LMAO none left now, must have passed you on the way out dude :D

I had no trouble finding them as I know a person working there.

calex71 wrote: »
    LMAO none left now, must have passed you on the way out dude :D

I had no trouble finding them as I know a person working there.

It's a small world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's a small world :)

Ha sure I'm up visiting my folks for a few days, when I saw the bargain alert for this I said f**k it it's only a 5 minute walk up the industrial estate, and I got mine for 3.99 less with my pals 10% staff discount card ;)

Still not the bargain that those 1TB drives were in drogheda at xmas , gotta love pricing errors, 9.99 each :D
    Put 5 through the self service check out, sold 4 for 50 each :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

This is why I love boards!!

Saw this late last night, jumped out of bed this morning. Ran to Tesco in my pjamas (which are tracksuit so it doesn't look like pjamas - but still, looks like a tracksuit). HAd to try 2 Tescos but I got it!!

For other Cork people - none in Tesco Douglas and I got the second last one in Tesco Mahon Point. It's marked €55 but scans as €39.99.

Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

Bloody sickened went into Tesco Wexford and they didn't have it. Anybody Know if Any of the Waterford Tesco's or New Ross or Gorey Tesco have any left. Any help greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭The Gibmiester

Did you ask staff? When I got mine in Letterkenny it wasn't next to other USB sticks or memory cards like I thought it would be, it was a few isles away on its own next to the ink. Sometimes they're behind customer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

Did you ask staff? When I got mine in Letterkenny it wasn't next to other USB sticks or memory cards like I thought it would be, it was a few isles away on its own next to the ink. Sometimes they're behind customer services.

Ya D missus works in the electrical department so i even had the benefit of having out back ripped apart too but there was none left at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

None in Tesco Longford. My colleague got last one in tesco mullingar, however they have a few 500gb left for €42, its a different make (can't remember what but it's a 2.5"). They went searching the store room when he asked about hard drives, mad how they're not even on display! How can people buy them if they don't know they are here! While they were checking stock he noticed there was also a 500gb one priced at €6.35 on the screen! There was none of these instock in Mullingar, but if people were in other tesco's it could be worth your while pricing everything to see if there are any of these anywhere!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

I found one of these in tesco clearwater, i hid it behind an acer laptop box top shelf;), it scanned as 39 yesterday so if anyone needs one, its waiting

Regards

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Anyone know what the harddrive inside is like? I need a 500gb 2.5" SATA 9mm drive. It might be cheaper to buy this and remove it from the enclosure rather than buying from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Thanks Danielle just picked it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I found one of these in tesco clearwater, i hid it behind an acer laptop box top shelf;)
    Dave6195 wrote: »
    Thanks Danielle just picked it up!

LOL :D

Boards sekkrit bargain alerts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Menapians wrote: »
    Bloody sickened went into Tesco Wexford and they didn't have it. Anybody Know if Any of the Waterford Tesco's or New Ross or Gorey Tesco have any left. Any help greatly appreciated :)

Had seen a single drive for €55 during the week in the Waterford 24 hour, it was the only one though so it's quite possible that it's gone. 4 stores in Waterford city though so probably worth the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Just got the last one in Tesco Extra in Drogheda! Looks like someone had it hidden to come back to later as I had to look for a few minutes in the back of the shelves above it and eventually found it tucked away behind the Western Digitals.
    Ah well you snooze you lose!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

was thinking of getting one for my ferguson set top box but it says it cannot be connected to a HDD without it being a powered one....pity that.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Checked every Cork store - all gone :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

4x in Navan, but scanning at €49.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

If your local store had a few of them left then it may be worth checking the price again. I took the attached pictures about an hour ago in Tralee, although those two disks are gone by now.

Advertisement