Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cant believe what my friend is doing?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

I met a friend of mine on a night out recently..turns out he just graduated with some engineering degree and now wants to become a garda!I was like wtf..you spent 4 years paying college fees,accomadation and studied your balls off and for what?..to get abused by the public,work sh<tty hours and get measly pay!??(I know this as my uncles a garda and he says so haha).Is it just me or does this guy come across as a bit of a looper for want of a better word?
    ps.I didnt say this to the fellas face I obviously wished him the best of luck!haha

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Engineer going in to the gardai is already on a decent salary. Why not? I certainly would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Some friend you've made yourself out to be, make nice in person then turn around and take the piss out of him behind his back on a forum that caters to hundreds of thousands of Irish people, a percentage of which have a very large chance of actually knowing said "friend."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dude. Like, do you know, like, how much, like, free pot, the cops, like, get in this country, like, ?

It's, like, A LOT.

So, y'know, like, maybe that's, like a good, like, career move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Your post has inspired me to become a Garda myself. A Grammar Garda that is! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sandy Wedge

In the current climate hes the smart one and your the ass!!!!!!!!! do you think your a focking brain surgeon or something. Theres a heap of engineers on the dole, not a lot of gardai, reality check!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Sounds like a good plan, not too many jobs in Engineering and besides what you might think, the guards is a very good job.
    If you have a degree or higher qualification, your starting wage in the guards is higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

So he's gonna gonna try get a hold of a good, secure job with a pension? Then on top of that, he has an Engineering Degree to fall back on?

He's a mad man!

Dude, like I know you think your friend is, like, mental for applying to be, like, a Garda and that, but, like, I'm totally glad you got over your mentalness a while back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59281972&postcount=1087 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I'm intending to join AGS after college, i don't see it as a waste of the degree
    i think i'll have more life experience and be more mature. Also he will
    start on a higher salary with a degree. I'd suggest you suport him if it's
    what he really wants to do. As far as i know there is currently a recruitment
    freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    Your post has inspired me to become a Garda myself. A Grammar Garda that is! :mad:

tbh

OP: you know, maybe he just changed his mind. And maybe he wants to be a Garda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There are fcuk all jobs in engineering today (nothing's being built) so maybe he thought a career change would be for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Dude, like I know you think your friend is, like, mental for applying to be, like, a Garda and that, but, like, I'm totally glad you got over your mentalness a while back:

That makes two boards members for whom the past has come back to bite them.

Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Bribery pays better than nixers these days, my uncle takes them and he told me so:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I dont usually say this but OP...

You FAIL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

/Thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Engineering in Ireland is as dead as the Dodo.

Why?

Cos Irish people disrespect anybody who dosen't wear a collar & tie to work.

Anybody who gets their hands dirty is labeled as a 'Greese Monkey'.

Better to play the system, wear a suit & spout crap.

Thats what FF polititians have done for years.

Obviously, we as a people, seemed to have looked up to the suit-wearing sleeveens of FF for far too long that can be healthy.

I can't understand how people here complain about the Govt.

Who voted them in?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Who voted them in?
    Not me, I wouldn't give FF the steam off my piss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Post of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

your the ass!!!!!!!!!

Banned.

Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Engineering in Ireland is as dead as the Dodo.

Why?

Cos Irish people disrespect anybody who dosen't wear a collar & tie to work.

Anybody who gets their hands dirty is labeled as a 'Greese Monkey'.

Building Engineers where suits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Dude. Like, do you know, like, how much, like, free pot, the cops, like, get in this country, like, ?

It's, like, A LOT.

So, y'know, like, maybe that's, like a good, like, career move.
    Well aren't you funny!I only used the word "like" ONCE and you make a big laugh out of it...sad,sad,sad.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tyler............ is that you?

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Well aren't you funny!I only used the word "like" ONCE and you make a big laugh out of it...sad,sad,sad.:rolleyes:

Dude, I was, like, totally, just going for the pothead laugh so, like, wasn't even ribbing on you for, like, the way you posted.

But, like, if you wanna, get, like, offended, you should totally check out my second post on this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64096557&postcount=9

Like, busted, and stuff. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

liah wrote: »
    Some friend you've made yourself out to be, make nice in person then turn around and take the piss out of him behind his back on a forum that caters to hundreds of thousands of Irish people, a percentage of which have a very large chance of actually knowing said "friend."

Hundreds of thousands? Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

mikom wrote: »
    Tyler............ is that you?
    Mrs.mikom..........is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

He should be clapped. Being a Garda is a tough job. I commend anyone in the force. Maybe he loved Engineering and decided to study it? Maybe he got rejected first time round?

I remember when a Garda was standing outside my neighbours house, cos their car got broken into and she was keeping watch for a few hours. I brought her out a cup of tea, she was grateful. We chatted, the stories, jeeesh.

Your friend is putting his arse on the line to protect all of us. I wish him every success.

Hundreds and thousands dude. It's, like, hundreds and thousands.

Like, hmmmmmmmm........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Aren't there some 300,000 registered users on Boards? Accounting for dupes, fakes, and banned accounts, that'd still leave a large enough userbase.

Could be way off the mark and talking shíte, but in a country this small even a couple thousand (which there definitely is) is a sizeable amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Engineer + Garda = Macgyver guard, how can this not be a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Poccington wrote: »
    So he's gonna gonna try get a hold of a good, secure job with a pension? Then on top of that, he has an Engineering Degree to fall back on?

He's a mad man!

Advertisement