Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Line D

Options
  • 02-05-2008 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

If pigs fly and BX ever actually gets built, it will apparently continue on to Broadstone, before using the old alignment to Liffey Junction. The latter seems to be the easy bit (now Irish Rail have been told to shut up). Less clear is how it's going to get to Broadstone in the first place. Information on this is very thin on the ground.

Clearly RPA have done very little work on this, as can be seen here. And really, why would they? I guess they don't consider the likelihood of BX being built strong enough to waste their time on D.

But that's beside the point. Just wondering if anyone here know of any potential routes that have been floated in the past.

Also, from the RPA site:
    "Luas Line D is the proposed extension of the proposed Luas BX Line (Luas City Centre Link-Up) north of the City Centre to Grangegorman and the proposed Irish Rail Maynooth line at Liffey Junction Interchange."

The proposed what? I was under the impression that Irish Rail already had a Maynooth line. Is this referring to a station? The more I read the more confused I get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,740 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

well, the interchange is proposed, and the Maynooth line is proposed to become a full Dart line. I'm pretty sure I've seen a more detailed route for this line somewhere, but as you say, this can't happen without Line BX ands its future is shakier than Shakin' Stevens drinking a milkshake...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Ill be very surprise if they will even bother linking the 2 lines. If the Metro goes ahead then it will be linked more or less. Why waste money on 2 seperate projects going the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

It is likely that this line will eventually head to Finglas. So its not just simply about joining the 2 current lines or linking the Maynooth DART line to the Luas at Liffey Jtn.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

The possible route options that have been identified for broadstone are attached.

Personally, though, I hope the plan to build line bx/d dies a death. The last segregated rail alignment into the city centre should not be wasted on luas. the lesson of the harcourt line should be heeded.

Luas is only a second rate solution to our transportation problems. These are my ideas for what should be done with the Broadstone alignment:

I know that given the current fiscal situation, it may seem pie in the sky to be talking about major infrasturctural developments post-transport 21, but i'm going to get the crayons out anyway - there's no harm dreaming

The platform for change study (on which transport 21 is said to be based) envisaged a fully segregated Metro line that would run from stephens green, through harolds cross, kimmage and on to tallaght. The same document also highlighted the need to upgrade the green luas line to metro in due course. Thus, taking for granted that the Metro North is delivered as planned, i would like to see the following happening:

- build the tallaght metro as planned and link it up to Metro North at the Stephens Green Hub station to create a through running service from Tallaght to Swords

- upgrade the green luas line to metro, going underground in ranelagh to integrate with the Airport Metro and Interconnector at Stephens green. From there, continue the tunnel on a north-westerly axis to Broadstone where it would emerge from underground onto the old alignment and continue on to integrate with DART at liffey junction and onwards to Finglas, thus creating another cross town service (from Bray to Finglas), and hey presto... a metro NETWORK!!

Advertisement