Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unlicensed driver

Options
  • 30-04-2008 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Due to a combination of laziness and incompetence, I have allowed my provisional drivers license to expire, having failed a driving test. I am currently going through the protracted process of getting a new one (it's straightforward but takes ages). Should I decide to keep driving during this time, what would happen if I am pulled over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Knowing this country, nothing. Provided that you are properly accompanied by qualified driver, it shouldn't be too serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Due to a combination of laziness and incompetence, I have allowed my provisional drivers license to expire, having failed a driving test. I am currently going through the protracted process of getting a new one (it's straightforward but takes ages). Should I decide to keep driving during this time, what would happen if I am pulled over?

You would be in serious trouble driving without a licence. I seriously advise against driving until a valid licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

My full licence ran out before Christmas and I couldnt get a new one until the road tax office reopened just before the new year. I rang my insurance company who said that under no circumstances would i be insured if i had an accident.
    Once the office was opened, I brought down the forms, money etc and they gave me a receipt on the spot which meant i was fully insured again. I read in the paper recently about someone whose licence expired and was involved in a minor accident. They were fined heavily (about 500 euro) but were not put off the road. Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HateTherapy

KTRIC wrote: »
    You would be in serious trouble driving without a licence. I seriously advise against driving until a valid licence.

As in, not covered by insurance, or serious legal repurcussions?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

As in, not covered by insurance, or serious legal repurcussions?
    Legal repurcussions. Most insurance policies will cover 3rd party accidents and have wording like "the insured must hold or held a licence in the last 5 years". Not worth the risk in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Once you Renew your Licence in your local MTO you will be giving a receipt this will cover you to drive until your new licence arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

It only takes about a week to get a new learner's permit issued, and as the Real B-man says, you get a receipt when you hand over your docs. I can't see why it would take any time at all. Is it that you're going on to your third and need proof of failing a test or applying and have lost it?

I wouldn't advise you to drive without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭SeanW

Driving with an expired provisional - bad idea. Get a new one ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

As Sideshow Raheem once said:

'I wouldn't'.

Seriously, just a get new one and hold off. Wouldn't risk the potential implications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

I seem to recall that under the circumstances like yours, the car gets impounded or confiscated as well. Or was that in the past?

Advertisement