Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition for Games: Best Allocation Unit Size?

Options
  • 19-08-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

I reset my PC to a fresh, factory state. I'm now in the process of partitioning about 400GB of my 1TB main HDD for games.

I'm at the part where I have the option to set the partition to NTFS or exFAT (I'm assuming NTFS is a sufficient option over exFAT, as I believe exFAT is better used for flash drives and external HDDs....) and an allocation unit size. Normally I ignore this part and leave it as default, but I've decided to put my attention to it so I've taken to the internet to see what would be the best option.

I looked elsewhere at first, and people were saying that setting it at a high number would be good for large files, but others were saying keep it at 4k.

What would be the best option if I'm dedicating this partition exclusively to games?

Thanks in advance

-Dave

Advertisement