Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

air traffic controllers strike

• 20-01-2010 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

should Dempsey tell the air traffic controllers to fcuk off like Ronald REagan did in the US ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Faithless

Planes can land themselves. O' Connell Street is more than enough space for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

No,

When Reagan did that he had the option of diverting flights to 1000's of airports. Also the USAF has hundreds of ATCs that could be called in.

We have less than 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ah sure can the planes not just wing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Faithless

muletide wrote: »
    No,

When Reagan did that he had the option of diverting flights to 1000's of airports. Also the USAF has hundreds of ATCs that could be called in.

We have less than 10

Yeah, less than 10 air traffic controllers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Check out Ireland on the map. Clicky... Living in the 18th centry :D

• Advertisement

Faithless wrote: »
    Yeah, less than 10 air traffic controllers.

Yeah, in our air corps

USAF - United States Air Force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

should Dempsey tell the air traffic controllers to fcuk off like Ronald REagan did in the US ?

More unparliamentary language.. "F*ck you, air traffic controllers, f*ck you"?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

No,

We have less than 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Let the pilots try and land themselves.

A lottery. Or 'natural selection', if you will

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

Yes

Using supervisors and miltiary controllers, limiting traffic at peak times, closing regional airports, and considering that only a few controllers would actually have the balls to lose a lucrative paying job in this recession, Dempsey could and should do this.

In the US strike, very few of the controllers thought that Reagan would actually go through with it. Time to man up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

IMPACT can **** off. Having a tantrum because 15 air traffic controllers were rightly suspended. And they are looking for a pay increase. Suspend anyone who went on strike, and get some cover in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

IvySlayer wrote: »
    IMPACT can **** off. Having a tantrum because 15 air traffic controllers were rightly suspended. And they are looking for a pay increase. Suspend anyone who went on strike, and get some cover in.
    Why were they suspended?

orourkeda wrote: »

no less than 10 in our AC - read before contradicting

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    Why were they suspended?

They were supposed to work with new technology. The unions said no because they said it required them to do more work. And puts more 'strain' on them. The union also looked for a pay increase. So the workers refused to operate the new technology, and the IAA suspended them.

They were supposed to work with new technology. The unions said no because they said it required them to do more work. And puts more 'strain' on them. The union also looked for a pay increase. So the workers refused to operate the new technology, and the IAA suspended them.

And were they not suspended during ongoing talks to resolve the situation?

Typical - "I'm not pushing that new button. My contract doesn't include the pushing of new buttons. Where's me mandatory cuppa tea?"

And were they not suspended during ongoing talks to resolve the situation?

Talks? Who needs to talk? You have a job to do, you do it. I'm sick of unions having an opinon about everything. It's clear the union wants them to get more pay for pushing new buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

no less than 10 in our AC - read before contradicting

source? there is definitely more than 10 qualified ATCs in the AC

narwog81 wrote: »
    ATCs in the AC

Is that Fiddy Cent's new song?

Talks? Who needs to talk? You have a job to do, you do it. I'm sick of unions having an opinon about everything. It's clear the union wants them to get more pay for pushing new buttons.

Well I thought that's why they went on strike.
    Because the members were suspended while the talks were still happening.

• Advertisement

Well I thought that's why they went on strike.
    Because the members were suspended while the talks were still happening.

As opposed to shutting up and getting on with the job?

'Oh look Jimmys desk was moved, we must have a meeting to discuess this change in work practice. The union is so perfect and brillant and needs to know about this ASAP. Pay rise for Jimmy!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

Is that Fiddy Cent's new song?

man if you be speaking military you gots to know the lingo:D

As opposed to shutting up and getting on with the job?

'Oh look Jimmys desk was moved, we must have a meeting to discuess this change in work practice. The union is so perfect and brillant and needs to know about this ASAP. Pay rise for Jimmy!'

They're not on strike over pay.
    They're on strike because members were suspended,without pay,while the issue of pay and conditions are still being dealt with by the LRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭donkey balls

pilot taxiing to the runway there is 5 planes in front of him he presses the ptt button by mistake( while talking to his co pilot)and says im bored.
    ATCO who said that
    Pilot i said im bored not stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They're on strike because members were suspended,without pay,while the issue of pay and conditions are still being dealt with by the LRC.

No, they're on strike because they a bunch of money hungry, living on another planet chancers whoo think because they cause such a large impact when they strike that they can get away with it. I hope DAA, IAA and the Gov tell them to go **** off

They were suspended because they refused to work. Yes the union was talking about a pay increase on a seperate issue.

They were suspended because they refused to work. Yes the union was talking about a pay increase on a seperate issue.

I got that.
    And the rest of them went on strike because they felt they were unfairly suspended.

I got that.
    And the rest of them went on strike because they were unfairly suspended.

Are you part Vulcan? :mad:

I think something else happened here too. Something left out of the jigsaw,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

noel dempsey is a disgrace, he sat on his arse in malta while this country was crippled by snow and now he has done nothing again

• Advertisement

Are you part Vulcan? :mad:

I think something else happened here too. Something left out of the jigsaw,

My ears are a bit pointy.
    If we're going to discuss a strike is not fair that we outline why they're on strike,instead of the usual sensationalism.

My ears are a bit pointy.
    If we're going to discuss a strike is not fair that we outline why they're on strike,instead of the usual sensationalism.

But if they just worked then they wouldn't have been suspended. The other stuff in the LRC could've would have still happened.

But if they just worked then they wouldn't have been suspended. The other stuff in the LRC could've would have still happened.
    That is quite logical.

That is quite logical.

Indubitably.

*Raises eye brow*

*Smokes pipe*

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

noel dempsey is a disgrace, he sat on his arse in malta while this country was crippled by snow and now he has done nothing again

I'm sure Dempsey will come out and say something brilliant like "i can't fly a plane, what am i supposed to do?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Dempsey can't even grit the roads during a moderate cold snap ffs.

I'm in favour of workers rights, so no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

They were suspended because they refused to work.

Daily Mail reader fncks up, yet again.

Internet appalled by lack of research, unsurprisingly.

Bill G wrote: »
    I'm sure Dempsey will come out and say something brilliant like "i can't fly a plane, what am i supposed to do?"

ah poor old dempsey sure he is only a school teacher on leave the last 15yrs or so with minister hanafin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i was supposed to be on a ryanair flight today and i got this last nite...i was already booked into another flight anyway, but i though this was funny. here is my cancellation email from them, classy or what -
    Due to industrial action by overpaid and underworked Air Traffic Controllers in Ireland, Ryanair has been forced to cancel 48 flights tomorrow 20th January 2010 affecting over 6,000 passengers.

Ryanair sincerely regret to advise that the below flight scheduled to operate on the 20th January is now cancelled. Please advise all other passengers booked on this reservation of the cancellation.

Passengers affected by these cancelation should seeks compensation from IMPACT General Secretary "snip" at "snip" or on "snip"

TO REBOOK FREE ONLINE:
    Click on the link below to rebook to the same destination airport on an alternative flight free of charge, subject to availability. Customers can access this link up to the 22/01/2010 for travel on flights up to the 02/02/2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

pilot taxiing to the runway there is 5 planes in front of him he presses the ptt button by mistake( while talking to his co pilot)and says im bored.
    ATCO who said that
    Pilot i said im bored not stupid
    Whut?

Whut?
    basicly the pilot pressed the button to talk to atc by mistake and was talking to his colleague

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Give the OP a break, especially you URL, the mod pet. Think its up to the mods to come to the rescue.

Tis obvious the OP hasn't got the hang of it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

A bit of insider knowledge here lads........

I'm a former air traffic controller who left when my "3 month temporary transfer to Shannon" turned into a 4 year sentence in that miserable dump which only ended when I refused to spend the rest of my life in Irelands answer to Devil's Island.

Even back in the mid 90's, I was getting 50,000 punts a year plus free flights with several airlines for doing a job which while busy was quite manageable. It was and still is by reorts in the media, a very handsomely paid job. The problem is that my cocky arrogant self important former colleagues know they can't be sacked and replaced overnight and so have no problem giving the 2 fingers to you all. The answer is to put a no strike clause in their contracts and to threaten to bring in foreign controllers on contract (with the implied threat of sacking the current lot) if they don't agree to the no strike deal. When you're getting well paid for a job like theirs, you are immune to the travails of the rest of the common worker bees and a dose of reality is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

A bit of insider knowledge here lads........

I'm a former air traffic controller who left when my "3 month temporary transfer to Shannon" turned into a 4 year sentence in that miserable dump which only ended when I refused to spend the rest of my life in Irelands answer to Devil's Island.

Even back in the mid 90's, I was getting 50,000 punts a year plus free flights with several airlines for doing a job which while busy was quite manageable. It was and still is by reorts in the media, a very handsomely paid job. The problem is that my cocky arrogant self important former colleagues know they can't be sacked and replaced overnight and so have no problem giving the 2 fingers to you all. The answer is to put a no strike clause in their contracts and to threaten to bring in foreign controllers on contract (with the implied threat of sacking the current lot) if they don't agree to the no strike deal. When you're getting well paid for a job like theirs, you are immune to the travails of the rest of the common worker bees and a dose of reality is needed.

Ive been to Shannon, it was alright if a little bland.

Give the OP a break, especially you URL, the mod pet. Think its up to the mods to come to the rescue.

Tis obvious the OP hasn't got the hang of it yet.

:confused:
    URL didn't even post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

The facts are Airtraffic controllers have a very cushy job, very well paid if you can get it. Their unions are playing the "change" card. Everytime their are work practice changes unions nearly always look for compensation for their members, (as union member expect the union to do something)

I have no sympathy at all for them, they are very well paid, and in todays climate for sure they should not get 6% increases when 70% of people have paycuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

These a$$holes are unbelievable. I used to be a union man, but now I hate them sooo much:mad:. Its all about "gimmee more money", instead of equality and fairness on-par with other workers. I cant remember the last time I heard of someone being sacked, either for not working hard enough, or just pure incompetance. One time it was fear of getting sacked that motivated people, now its the guarantee of getting paid and not getting sacked thats de-motivating them.

This kind of reminds me of another story going back the years. Apparently An Post workers and their Union, when a change in their work practices involved switching from manual scales to electronic scales, were demanding to be compensated. I think they got a lump-sum payment not a pay rise. What a case of pure and utter nonsensical greed! Im hope the air traffic controllers get nothing they are looking for and are fired if they continue with their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

Public sector workers striking for more pay to do less work. In other news...

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Kernel wrote: »
    Dempsey can't even grit the roads during a moderate cold snap ffs.

I'm in favour of workers rights, so no.

Me too. But I'm also in favour of people who work in jobs that supply critical public services not striking every time they don't get the pay rise that nobody else in the country is getting. I'm also in favour of people not being complete ar$eholes in general and seeing themselves as more important than they really are(I'm looking at you TEEU workers). I'm completely in favour of lazy, cosseted public leeches like the striking controllers, seemingly oblivious to the financial ruin that this country is facing as a direct result of boundless greed and avarice, being slung out immediately and replaced by any qualified and competent foreign or domestic controller who agrees not to abuse his privileged and well paid position in future by signing a no-strike contract. So, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Give the OP a break, especially you URL, the mod pet.

Go troll somewhere else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement