Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas A1/C1 - extra tramsets?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 7:48pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was wondering this today, when the C1 and A1 forks of the Red Line are opened, are they just going to reduce frequency to each fork at peak times, or are there more tramsets on order? The extension to five-piece trams increased capacity but this has been mostly eaten up already, so reducing frequency won't work well at all.

Although as more and more commercial/retail closes down in Tallaght it might not be needed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are another 18 trams ordered. Something like 5 for A1, 8 for B1 and 2 for C1 + spares. This is on top of the tram lengthening project.

http://www.transport21.ie/MEDIA/Press_Releases/Cullen_views_tram_extensions_for_Tallaght_Luas_line.html

As it is, the Red Line doesn't seem to use its entire contingent of trams (proving the 40m trams should have been used there and not on the Green Line).
    MYOB wrote: »
    Although as more and more commercial/retail closes down in Tallaght it might not be needed!
    Eh?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    Eh?

Been in The Square lately? Theres more units closing down than can be accounted for by the newer developments, half of the Cookstown Industrial Estate is empty, Jacobs are going, Tesco are going, theres gobs of empty units in Broomhill, etc.

Its like the 1980s again. At least the traffics been getting progressively lighter since I started working there.

I was in the Square recently enough a few times and didn't particularly notice many empty units. It is starting to look quite dated though and I imagine a major refurbishment / redevelopment isn't far off.

Cookstown Industrial Estate is going to see a lot of high density town centre type development and I imagine developers have been buying people out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd hope so on the development front, but the currently empty units appear to be up for rent rather than being held for when that happens. Theres two recently bankrupt stores at the front of L1, a large unit in the middle and another at the back as well as a few units on L2 and I think one on L3 (the smallest floor). Considering its not a massive centre, its an above average level. And it looks like JJB Sports is leaving, too. Some of the units have been empty for a year or so now.

Wasn't aware about Cookstown, although will that happen now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement